2004 - 2008 F-150

ride quality questions. what to replace AS level with.

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2011 | 12:47 AM
|
ride quality questions. what to replace AS level with.

truck in question is an 07 lariat, 1.5 autospring, nothing in the rear, load range e terra grapplers.

went to my buddies farm to hunt today, we were riding around in the fields in his 04 ish tundra with 114k on it and i was very impressed with the ride quality. rode like a cadillac through fields full of potholes and dips and stumps. very impressive, no interior squeaks or anything either, very nice.

so it got me to thinking, how some say that a leveling kit doesent ride very well, like it decreases ride quality? is there any truth to that?

I know my load range e terra grapplers arent helping, but i feel like i could get it better.

some say that the bilstein 5100s ride better than stock, but ive always thought they were a stiffer alternative. so does that leave me with ranch quicklifts in the front, and the matching rs9000s in the back for the best ride quality? that is unless the spacer on the stock shocks doesnet hurt ride quality then im assuming something like the as level kit ive got now plus stock ride height rancho rs5000s (like the fx4's) would be a good alternative

i rarely pull loads, so loosing some stiffness in the back isnt a big concern. and the fronts only 1.5 inches, id actually like to go to 2 inches in the front.

so what setups in you guys' opinion gets a good ride quality? and how do tundras ride so damn nice? not that id own one, he said he was about to get the undercoating recall(yuck)

Old 11-20-2011 | 05:59 AM
Worn out shocks with little rebound and compression quality would seem to ride like you're on a cloud off-road, but put that same rig through its paces on road and see what you get. The Rancho 9000s do have a wide range of adjustment from soft to firm, so you can have your cake and eat it too, especially with the remote shock controller.

Old 11-20-2011 | 05:59 AM
Technical Article Contributor

An A/S or other leveling kit does not alter or change spring rate or shock valving, so logically, does not affect ride quality. If your ride is stiffer or harsher than before, I would blame the tire choice.

Old 11-20-2011 | 03:20 PM
|
So if I wanted to do something to help it stock replacement rancho rs5000s would work okay? Anyone note a worse ride quality with a spacer level

Old 11-24-2011 | 11:28 PM
Originally Posted by fivespeedsteed
So if I wanted to do something to help it stock replacement rancho rs5000s would work okay? Anyone note a worse ride quality with a spacer level
As mentioned above, chalk your poor ride quality up to worn out shocks, not the spacer kit. It is just a block of metal, in between two other pieces of metal, none of which are moving parts of the suspension system.

Don't waste your time with anything less than the 5100s or 9000s. Most of the lower end aftermarket shocks are all the same until you reach that level, regardless of manufacterer. Using the stock setting with your spacer or removing the spacer and lifting the truck with the shocks is up to you, but I doubt you will see a difference in ride either way.

Old 11-25-2011 | 12:20 AM
Suspended
both my dads 06 and 08's got 2.5" leveling kits and the ride quality changed a bit on both. Not terrible, but it did for the worse.

I would get the bilsteins, best option IMO available especially if you go offroad at all in your truck.

Old 11-25-2011 | 12:37 AM
|
the bilsteins arent stiffer than stock?

the guy the posted right after my OP, said that shocks that are worn out will give a better ride( they are softer) what i get is a rough ride, almost like riding in my lowered mustang.

so if i want better ride quality (handing bump wise, not cornering wise) should i let my shocks and struts wear out, or replace them with better ones?

Old 11-25-2011 | 12:39 AM
Suspended
the bilsteins arent stiffer than stock?
I would say yes, but in a good way if that makes sense. When off road is when they really prove how good they are.

Old 11-25-2011 | 08:35 AM
Originally Posted by 06yz250f
I would say yes, but in a good way if that makes sense. When off road is when they really prove how good they are.
x2 I went from stock shocks with a 2.5 hbs to the 5100s and have never looked back. You might have good results with a non leveling quality shock and keeping the spacer but if your changing them might as well use the 5100s or the quicklifts. The geometry of the front end is critical to the trucks feel. Caster alone accounts for a lot of the ride quality and the leveling shocks maintain more of the factory geometry than a spacer does.

If i were you i would go with the QLs just for the adjustabillity. I went back and forth between the two. I love the bilsteins , but in your case I would go QL.

Old 11-25-2011 | 09:36 AM
I personally prefer the Rancho's.
I have the RS9000XL's all round, and the ride is smoother than my FX4 stockers.

I really like the ride I have. Set Front at 3 and Rear at 5. Nice smooth front end, and "stiffer" rear end so the "bounce" isn't there.

Old 11-25-2011 | 05:29 PM
|
right, im not exactly looking for stiffer, kinda more soft. my terra grapplers stiffened things up quite a bit, driving my truck through a field is like riding in a dump truck. how do leveling struts give better geometry than a leveling kit? how do leveling shocks achieve their lift?

so if i do quick lifts and rs9000s in the rear, i can set them up to be softer that what ive got now?>

Old 11-25-2011 | 08:48 PM
Technical Article Contributor
Truck of the Month
Originally Posted by 06yz250f
x2. Had them in my '04, good and firm, was nice when wanted, however daily driving use was a little lumpy.

Rancho Quicklift & RS9000XL shocks for replacement FTW.

Old 11-26-2011 | 10:10 AM
Where have you guys purchased the Rancho quick lifts and rear shocks? Best price on the net? Where can I find part number for 2008 2wd?

Old 11-26-2011 | 11:02 AM
truck in question is an 07 lariat, 1.5 autospring, nothing in the rear, load range e terra grapplers.

went to my buddies farm to hunt today, we were riding around in the fields in his 04 ish tundra with 114k on it and i was very impressed with the ride quality. rode like a cadillac through fields full of potholes and dips and stumps. very impressive, no interior squeaks or anything either, very nice.

so it got me to thinking, how some say that a leveling kit doesent ride very well, like it decreases ride quality? is there any truth to that?

I know my load range e terra grapplers arent helping, but i feel like i could get it better.

some say that the bilstein 5100s ride better than stock, but ive always thought they were a stiffer alternative. so does that leave me with ranch quicklifts in the front, and the matching rs9000s in the back for the best ride quality? that is unless the spacer on the stock shocks doesnet hurt ride quality then im assuming something like the as level kit ive got now plus stock ride height rancho rs5000s (like the fx4's) would be a good alternative

i rarely pull loads, so loosing some stiffness in the back isnt a big concern. and the fronts only 1.5 inches, id actually like to go to 2 inches in the front.

so what setups in you guys' opinion gets a good ride quality? and how do tundras ride so damn nice? not that id own one, he said he was about to get the undercoating recall(yuck)
Every Toyota i've been in from the Land Cruiser to the Tundra they all had luxury type ride... Guess they figured out a way to luxurize their vehicles... My ride didn't change... I had a rough stiff suspension before the 2.5 level and tires.. Maybe new shocks would lighten you up a bit..

Old 11-27-2011 | 08:56 AM
|
dunno what im gonna do. the goal is to do a rancho 4 inch, 4.10s or 3.56s, a trutrac in the rear, and 35x12.50r18s by the time my nittos wear out, so i might not burn the money on them.

whats the rancho 4 inch kit cost with shocks?

Quick Reply: ride quality questions. what to replace AS level with.