2004 - 2008 F-150

Road Trip, where to put luggage?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 08:28 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Road Trip, where to put luggage?

When you guys hit the road where do you put your luggage? When the Screw is loaded up the luggage tends to go in the bed, there has got to be a better way. Bed cover or tool box?

Old 11-23-2011, 09:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a tonneua roll up cover and just toss everything into the bed you can't beat it. Rolls up against the cab when not in use and out over the bed for protection when needed. Its not completely water tight but close enough.

Old 11-23-2011, 09:21 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
The luggage goes in back under the bed's lockable hard cover.....

Last edited by 88racing; 11-23-2011 at 09:33 AM.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:32 AM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
The dog crate and luggage go in the back floor. Each piece has it's place, like a jig saw puzzle. Works fine in a screw with just 2 people.

Old 11-23-2011, 10:13 AM
Originally Posted by Bluejay
The dog crate and luggage go in the back floor. Each piece has it's place, like a jig saw puzzle. Works fine in a screw with just 2 people.
Same here. I could put it in the bed, I've got a ARE topper, but it's handier
right behind the front seats.

Old 11-23-2011, 10:16 AM
You could also do a roof rack if you dont want to put it in your bed.

Old 11-23-2011, 10:27 AM
Originally Posted by D's984x4
You could also do a roof rack if you dont want to put it in your bed.
Then he should be driving a mini van and Not a pick up.

Old 11-23-2011, 10:34 AM
Originally Posted by mlamprey
Then he should be driving a mini van and Not a pick up.
Yes, that makes sense lol!

Old 11-23-2011, 11:03 AM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I can't think of many times when I needed something out of my travel bag while on a road trip. Throw the luggage in the bed, tonneau or not; it's not going anywhere unless you're worried about theft. Keep a smaller duffle in the cab with any on-road needs like snacks, etc.

Old 11-23-2011, 11:56 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ditto

Originally Posted by SoonerTruck
I can't think of many times when I needed something out of my travel bag while on a road trip. Throw the luggage in the bed, tonneau or not; it's not going anywhere unless you're worried about theft. Keep a smaller duffle in the cab with any on-road needs like snacks, etc.
My family of 4 does the same. We have a "go" bag in the truck but the luggage is in the bed. I use a kryptonite cable lock and thread it through the luggage handles and attach both ends to the the anchors in the bed. This is when everything doesn't fit in the "go" box which is just a huge weather proof tub with a pad lock on the top. It weighs about 150 pounds when we load it up and I run the kryptonite cable though its handles and attach either end to the anchors as well.

Old 11-23-2011, 12:54 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
When I'm on a road trip usually I have the bike loaded in the bike trailer in tow behind the truck, so luggage goes onto the trailer floor & is easily accesable via the trailer side door. I recently added an ARE hard topper so now I have a choice.

Old 11-23-2011, 01:14 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 135 Likes on 112 Posts
snugtop FTW

Old 11-23-2011, 02:02 PM
Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
I just have a Scab here. The dog carrier and stuff like "munchies", camera bag, tripod, maps, small cooler, laptop, flashlights (2 minimum), wife's small travel pillow, and any sweaters or jackets that may be needed enroute go in back seat,

Everything else goes in the bed under "Undercover" locking hard cover. I pack some smaller stuff in a large TSC recycled tote box with hinged lid that I just slide to rear once we get there and unpack. In bottum goes smaller items / cases like her make up stuff, etc and on top, I lay all the stuff that is on hangers (hold hanger hook in one hand, pull cloths over other forearm, lay them in).

We carry things like extra shoes, my coffee makings (BIL and family don't do coffee so I take my own makings, they have a percolator however), etc in Walmart" bags hung to side with bungie cords, and a couple suit cases just set in there.

I also make sure to carry my Flashpaq Tuner with me when in the truck always, and anytime I travel .... I carry a decent first aid kit, water to drink, some snacks, blankets (a warm one for cold, a couple cheap yellow plastic emergency blankets for laying on if needed, etc) , flares, small 2 ton floor jack, wood blocks, breaker bar and socket, small mechanics bag with tire plugs and tools and small compressor (easier to plug and inflate than change), general tool kit in box adding gear wrenches and multi tester, make sure spare is full, work gloves, and old work jacket for laying down ...
... and several caps (gotta have a cap on).

If we take the Mercury Grand Marquis, I just pack tighter and do not use the large TSC recycled tote box. The hanging items are then laid into the trunk last on top of all else. It has a "huge" trunk, very deep.

I don't like haveing cloths hanging from a hanger bar except immediately behind me where I don't see them while driving. I do not want them in any blocking my view over either shoulder or in any mirror.

Back in the days before I had a Scab or bed cover, with the '77 reg cab, the dog road up front with us, a few items in the pass floor, and I had a large box I built with metal clad top that has two hasp and padlockks that was tall and deep so it could be narrow and not take a lot of bed space, it held stuff safe and dry and reletively secure in the bed at front. I only carried one camera and did not have a laptop then, we usually traveled then by '85 Ford T-Bird so we were used to traveling "light".

Last edited by tbear853; 11-23-2011 at 02:19 PM.
Old 11-23-2011, 02:10 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I put the 9 month old boy in the right rear captian seat, The the left rear captian seat i put the back down and put the 2 dogs in 1 kennel. Then pack everything around it and its all good.. usually 3 suitcases, bedding, diaper bag.

Old 11-23-2011, 02:29 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Under the locking A.R.E. hard cover. It's like having a huge trunk.

Quick Reply: Road Trip, where to put luggage?