2004 - 2008 F-150

2nd thing to wear out on my truck

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2011 | 08:21 PM
|
2nd thing to wear out on my truck

I know this is absolutely boring, but today the second thing that has worn out on my truck showed up today.
The factory Motorcraft battery finally had a little bit of trouble with that first morning crank, so out it went. I bought my truck new May 1st 2006, so I guess no complaints there

Only other thing I've had to change was the tires.

OK, OK. So only 38k miles, but still She's a good truck.

Old 11-23-2011 | 08:58 PM
I'm not positive but I have reason to believe that I swapped out the original battery in my '04 this past weekend...

That still doesn't make me lucky though, cause I've had the dreaded plug problem and the 4x4 iwe issue. I'm dealing with my second minor electrical issue now as well.

Old 11-23-2011 | 09:51 PM
My 07's battery gave up a couple months ago too, it's been in service since early Fall 2007. It was a smaller Group 59 battery. It's "green eye" turned "red" overnight and jumping it and running it 20 miles didn't change it, she was DEAD.

I puled it and dropped in my old standby spare that I built a cart for to wheel around as a portable power scource. It is the original Group 65 Motorcraft battery that came in my '01 Mercury Grand Marquis which I replaced in 2006 before a 3 week cross country trip. I use it for backup, jumps, it's been used twice in Crown Vic Police Cars since 2006 when their battery went bad and I had to order one through supply.

I replaced it with the larger Group 65 "Kirkland" battery from Costco after reading Consumer Reports, left the Group 59 at Costco.

Put the old stand by back in it's cart.

Old 11-24-2011 | 08:43 AM
|
I've been very happy overall. No cam phasers, no IWEs, no window regulators. I do have an exhaust leak that shows up when the weather turns cold. I'm thinking full length headers will solve that.

My motorcraft battery was drained dead (lock solenoids would not operate) several times when I was hooking up my amp (wrong trigger wire). When I factor that it, its great.

A battery still going since 2001 is bordering on amazing.

Old 11-24-2011 | 11:47 AM
Originally Posted by hllon4whls
My motorcraft battery was drained dead (lock solenoids would not operate) several times when I was hooking up my amp (wrong trigger wire). When I factor that it, its great.
That's brutal on a battery, you got a good one if that don't kill it.

Originally Posted by hllon4whls
A battery still going since 2001 is bordering on amazing.
Core charge was only a few $$ in 2006 and it was 5 yrs old and we were planning about 7-8,000 miles and 3 weeks so I bought new and kept it, made a small enclosed cart to pull it arond, it lives in the basement. I charge it with a trickle / maintainer once in a while. I just lift the top off the wooden box it's in and then I can place jumpers on it. No mess, no carry straps, no holes mysteriously showing in the jeans after next wash. Comes in handy when the bikes haven't been started in a while or when testing things. I wired a 12 VDC outlet on a 20amp fuse with 12 gage wire and mounted it also. I can hang my XM Boom Box on it and wheel it for portable music.

It is the longest I've ever had a battery last, and to think ... I was worried about a little cross country trip!

Four times I've used it as a temp replacement, twice in police cars, once in the truck two months ago, and I forgot about the '95 TBird .... when it's battery croaked last year in the cold snap. I almost left it there but due to age, I bought a new one for the car.

It's a Group 65 size and that's what both T-Birds take as well as the Merc and '07 Truck. Someday, if it dies ..... I'll trade it in for a new one and put the new one in a veghicle and take that one and put back in the cart. I've gotten used to having it available, cheaper than a charge pack and more power as well.

Only my '77 uses a 24F and the Subaru a 24 I think.

Quick Reply: 2nd thing to wear out on my truck