2004 - 2008 F-150

P0731 code

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 06:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
P0731 code

OK here's what happened..It's been in the 20's last night and today. I got a call from the youngest here to pick her up, so i jumped into the truck and started it up and just took off. (no warm up at all) Around here it's mostly hills so i was rolling down one right off the house and the truck had o/d flashing. I stopped at a parking lot and checked the Gryphon it was P0731 code ..cleared it shut off the truck, restarted and drove off.. got home and was thinking about this.....

Question is---Is it possible that not letting any kinda warm up before driving her could of caused this code to happen??? Fluid is good and hasn't happened since.

20,000 miles on it the rest is in signature.
What do you think???

Old 12-14-2011, 09:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any luck with your problem? I had a new tranny put in a few weeks ago and on my way to work this morning the same thing happend to me.

I was coasting down a hill in first fumbling for my lighter then I got the O/D flashes and Transmission Failure message. Checked my edge tuner and got P0731 code.

Old 12-19-2011, 09:25 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From what Ive found out...
the computer locks out overdrive till the fluid reaches a certain temperature..
This in turn causes the torque converter not to fully lock until it reaches roughly 75*to 80* temp..
So a warm up is a good thing before driving it in cold/cooler temperatures..
Mine hasn't done it since..I believe it's because since it happened I do a warm up a bit before taking off

hope that helps

Quick Reply: P0731 code