2004 - 2008 F-150

F150 guys, stay away from VMP Tuning -Fouled Spark Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 11:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whats the purpose of a datalog then if you cant figure out if the tune is running rix or lean? I thought this was the main reason for a dataloging. Also to the OP I think you just had an error in the software or extremely unlucky timing. Ive had VMP tunes for 3 years so far and all has been good.

Old 12-13-2011, 12:25 PM
Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
Sorry to read of what appears to be a very frustrating series of events.
I hope you get her back running right.

Your posting and the response you recieved did confirm for me some understandings I have held.

Originally Posted by edgespeeder06
... etc ...

Timeline of my Drama Fiasco
  • Sept 15, 2011 at 9:31am: Emailed Justing requesting to order custom tunes for my F150
  • Sept 15, 2011 at 10:50am: Responded back with $399 plus tax for X3 with 3 Custom Tunes
    .... etc ....
  • Another 2 weeks before he actually decided to refund me. I got email today (12/12/11) saying I was refunded a partial amount of $270 along with this response where he claims his tunes are correct and flawless and my truck which I take care of like my 2nd baby is the issue.

Hi, I just refunded the card.

I looked at the tunes, there was nothing wrong with them.* It is the same type of tunes I send out for the 100s of trucks like yours that I have tuned.* ... etc ...
Thanks,
Justin Starkey
VMP Tuning
I always understood that "custom tunes" written in conjunction with dyno testing on a specific vehicle were indeed "custom tunes" written for that very vehicle as run on the dyno producing the printouts.

I have often figured that many "custom tunes" (not all as I am pretty sure Troyer's custom tunes are really "custom") written by a small volume shop "tuner type person" are more like "small volume canned tunes" much like those "larger volume canned tunes" written by a "tuner type person" on staff at a larger company like Superchips? Not so "custom" but rather "regurgitated"?

Maybe some more agressive, but canned just the same except their "custom tunes" are tied to a hex code and thus, specific vehicle ...
... where as Superchips, etc "canned tunes" are maybe not as aggressive and are not tied to a specific vehicle's hex code.

Last edited by tbear853; 12-13-2011 at 10:12 PM.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:32 PM
I agree if they are custom tunes, I don't see how he has sent 100th of them out, in that case, I'm the lucky bad one out of 100s?

Finally got my b.s. partial refund. I had ranted to him last night in an email response (kept my cool and language civil)

His response this afternoon which I am still trying to make sense of, especially the last part.....anyone?

Hey John, you don’t have a clue do you. You have no idea what I pay for SCT tuners.

One question, do you own your truck?

Last edited by edgespeeder06; 12-13-2011 at 06:38 PM.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does he think you're leasing it?

Old 12-13-2011, 09:20 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Maybe he thinks you are some kid with a truck under daddy's name?

This is why Troyer does my vehicles. Sure its a long wait, but each time I've data-logged a tune he hasn't had to change a thing...the tunes are spot on from the get-go. From what I understand, Justin is more of a mustang guy while Troyer is mostly Ford Trucks. Hell just talking to the guy makes you understand the extent of his knowledge of these vehicles and their aftermarket products.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:33 PM
Thanks guys, wish I had known that before. Troyer and PHP seem to be the best for trucks. I knew PHP is one the best but had decided to try something different and that didn't work as planned. Now I re-ordered new tunes from PHP since its the only place I can really trust not to cost me anymore money.

I guess he assumes that, but I paid and insure my own cars, no help from anyone.

Old 12-13-2011, 10:09 PM
Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
Yeah, sorry about your experience.

I certainly didn't mean that all custom tunes were more like regurgitated standard tunes. I am sure that some .... like Mike (40 mins away) does indeed write "custom tunes", but your posting of an email was the first time I had seen a "tune writer person" so state that his "custom" tunes weren't maybe as "custom" as one would expect.

Maybe just a bad day?

Last edited by tbear853; 12-13-2011 at 11:03 PM.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:26 PM
Suspended
I knew PHP is one the best but had decided to try something different and that didn't work as planned.
I could argue that, PHP destroyed a trans in an old truck. Friends truck went thru 2 trans before he got smart and ditched it (no problems since). Both got the tunes at the same time, so wouldn't be surprised if it was almost an identical tune.

All tuners screw up, thinking any business is 100% perfect is stupid.

Old 12-13-2011, 10:33 PM
Im not going to say what vmp did or didnt do right, but im going to say your the one at fault here...before you yell at me though hear me out...you did a mail order tune...and got mail order results, all cars are different and the only true way to get it done right is to put it on the dyno, and go through everything step by step. Justin at vmp was an OK guy to deal with not the best but not the worst by any means, for other people reading this he is a good guy running a good business, you also need to take into account that his tune MAY have not been the problem, and you had an underlying problem that was brought out by a more aggressive tune. I cant believe that he would even send you a tune that would give some much fuel that it would foul the plugs, id be curious to see your file, open it in advantage and see just exactly what is wrong with it.

Old 12-13-2011, 11:11 PM
I understand, wish I had made a copy of the files and saved them to my pc before I returned. As I have stated time and time again, my truck was running perfectly fine, I am mechanically savvy and it had just received it's maintenance a month before and it was running like a champ.

He totally avoid my questions regarding why the two 87 tunes he wrote would cause my truck to stall out while driving on the highway and just shut off? He also did not follow up on why his 93 tune would foul my plugs or make my insanely large dual tips get blackened; reasoning I believe? His tune was making my truck run too rich....I should've caught the black exhaust tips and removed the tune. I put a good 130 miles on it and it started acting up after 100 miles on my way home from a 1.5 hour drive.

I do appreciate your feedback and yes, no tuner is perfect but he bluntly avoided answering my questions or helping me. Now he's being comical and asking me if I own my truck? This is no way to be professional for a tuner.....he's by far the worst tuner I've dealt with.

P.S. I'm not at fault, maybe if i stupidly trusted an established tuner to write decent tunes for my truck, I didn't want anything outrageous just some power and having it all calibrated correctly with the tires and gears...nothing like he was tuning a Forced Induction F150 or something so I don't get it.

Last edited by edgespeeder06; 12-13-2011 at 11:17 PM.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I understand, wish I had made a copy of the files and saved them to my pc before I returned. As I have stated time and time again, my truck was running perfectly fine, I am mechanically savvy and it had just received it's maintenance a month before and it was running like a champ.

He totally avoid my questions regarding why the two 87 tunes he wrote would cause my truck to stall out while driving on the highway and just shut off? He also did not follow up on why his 93 tune would foul my plugs or make my insanely large dual tips get blackened; reasoning I believe? His tune was making my truck run too rich....I should've caught the black exhaust tips and removed the tune. I put a good 130 miles on it and it started acting up after 100 miles on my way home from a 1.5 hour drive.

I do appreciate your feedback and yes, no tuner is perfect but he bluntly avoided answering my questions or helping me. Now he's being comical and asking me if I own my truck? This is no way to be professional for a tuner.....he's by far the worst tuner I've dealt with.

P.S. I'm not at fault, maybe if i stupidly trusted an established tuner to write decent tunes for my truck, I didn't want anything outrageous just some power and having it all calibrated correctly with the tires and gears...nothing like he was tuning a Forced Induction F150 or something so I don't get it.
Sorry to hear about the issues you had man! I had similar experiences with Justin- though none as severe as yours.. I worked for quite a while trying to get my tune dialed in, even with numerous datalogs. My truck still was having detonation issues and all he told me to do was back off the timing till it stopped. I was thinking-"isn't this what I paid you to do"? But I backed my timing off till it ran like a fat pig, and still had detonation.. I just switched tuners and am much happier.. I didn't like that every time I called Justin I felt like I was bothering him and that he was doing me a favor my talking to me.. and way to many 1 word answers.. whatever, there are a lot of tuners out there that make their customers feel valued. I am currently working with Rick at Amazon Tuning, and he is one of the nicest most helpful guys I've worked with.. It sounds like PHP has similar customer service. Glad to see you are just moving on, I know I am much happier now...

Old 12-14-2011, 12:01 AM
i hear ya, that isnt a way to do business at all, i have worked with some great tuners in the industry and i can tell you most WILL go out of their way to make sure everything is correct, i would if it were my company, after all at the end of the day these forums can make or break a very largely based mail order company...im not sure where your located but if you ever have a problem i would call up EFILogics based out of CT. the owner is by far one of the nicest guys to deal with, i had a problem with my kenne bell gt and we litterly sat on the dyno for all day until it was sorted out. its hard to pinpoint the problem without the files (just for your own knowledge) but im glad you got it all sorted out! VMP does know their stuff, ive seen some of their TVS gt500's put down some impressive numbers with their own parts, its just too bad that he treated you like ****, not good to hear

Old 12-14-2011, 11:09 AM
Hey guys thank you I appreciate the feedback. Yes he may know how to tune Mustangs specifically horsepowers driven ones since he probably has dozen of similar tunes he's worked on and can tweak stuff. He should've told me from the start and I would've found an experience truck tuner like PHP or Troyer instead.

Either way, my seo skills are going to let people know about his bad news until he chooses to give me all my money back.

Old 12-14-2011, 12:53 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Just quit it and let it rest....

You're both at fault......go your separate ways ....

Your best bet is to contact the bbb instead of using the internet for your ordeal....

Last edited by 88racing; 12-14-2011 at 12:57 PM.
Old 12-14-2011, 02:12 PM
You have custom tunes on a 7 year old truck with presumably original plugs? Yeah that's Justin's fault all right. I and many others on here have been using VMP tunes for quite awhile, and while nothing is EVER perfect, there are far more satisfied customers than not. I don't see how he should be responsible for something you can't prove was his fault, and using SEO to up-rank the page for your rant is blatantly uncalled for, imo.

Additionally, the codes you state were present are very telling in the nature of the problem. It's not at ALL uncommon for COP's to go bad, and the truck is even smart enough to tell you what cylinder is misfiring, but you have to be smart enough to interpret what it's telling you.

e.g: p0306 - cylinder 6 misfire detected, p0300 random misfire detected

Quick Reply: F150 guys, stay away from VMP Tuning -Fouled Spark Plugs