2004 - 2008 F-150

eBay Projector Headlamps in 2004 F150 - Pics

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012 | 07:25 AM
Originally Posted by sblue
Looks good!
Most people will not know this is a halogen projector as stated.
That wouldn't bother me one bit.
I actually might do this set up.
This is a better alternative to HID's in the stock housing.
Edit: These look way better than retro fitted projectors. Not too busy and classy looking. The black housings are my favorite!

Old 01-06-2012 | 09:29 AM
Edit: These look way better than retro fitted projectors. Not too busy and classy looking. The black housings are my favorite!
While it's a matter of opinion, I don't think they look "classier" than a retrofit. Retrofits using just the projector look exactly the same as the stock units. The housings you just mentioned have led's and all sorts of junk in them that clutters them up. Most every aftermarket housing like that screams ricer to me, but again it's only opinion.

Old 01-06-2012 | 09:32 AM
Originally Posted by ieee_raider
I'm still trying to understand why it's a bad idea.
I haven't done it yet, still debating.

But let's say I'm driving in the country (I live in the country basically, so I do that a lot). No other cars around, I want to see what's in my peripheral (animals darting onto road) and I can't see that with my high beams. I also want to see what's in the distance (once again, animals, cars on side of road, street signs, etc.) and I can't see that with my low beams.

So it would seem to me that having both on solves that issue?
You're not going to get much additonal light to where it's worth frying the electrical system to keep all of the lights running. If you want better night visibility, get off-road lights and mount them on a bull/light bar or behind the grill. You'll get more light than the stock housings or even HID projectors can ever provide. Also, keep your dash lights and other bright interior lights turned down as low as possible as it will increase your night vision dramatically.

Old 01-06-2012 | 01:47 PM
Originally Posted by SoonerTruck
While it's a matter of opinion, I don't think they look "classier" than a retrofit. Retrofits using just the projector look exactly the same as the stock units. The housings you just mentioned have led's and all sorts of junk in them that clutters them up. Most every aftermarket housing like that screams ricer to me, but again it's only opinion.
Correct, it is a matter of opinion.

These look way better than most eBay projectors. And again also better than a retro fit.
Just because you have your eadlights retro fitted using your stock housing doesn't make them better by any stretch!

This is a simpler means of achieving that. Purely cosmetic.

I really don't have the urge to have my stock lights hacked up for a retro fit.

Old 01-06-2012 | 02:46 PM
|
ieee-raider, what's involved with getting the led's and halo's running?

Overall, is this a pretty easy install?

I found a set of black housings on eBay that are identical to yours. These look really cool and not like cheapo's!
Well I haven't done that part yet but looks like it should be pretty darn easy. I'm thinking when I do it, I might tie LED's into the turn signal assembly. Haven't decided yet though.
It's just loose wires for the halo's and LED's so you have to run wires however you want them, install switches, etc.

Now for people asking for daytime pics:

Old 01-06-2012 | 03:11 PM
Looking good!

Old 01-06-2012 | 04:45 PM
|
You're not going to get much additonal light to where it's worth frying the electrical system to keep all of the lights running. If you want better night visibility, get off-road lights and mount them on a bull/light bar or behind the grill. You'll get more light than the stock housings or even HID projectors can ever provide. Also, keep your dash lights and other bright interior lights turned down as low as possible as it will increase your night vision dramatically.
If I were running off road lights on the highway, I would surely get a ticket.

There are many models of cars that from the factory run headlights concurrently. I've seen them driving at me before. 2 obvious lamps on, they turn off hi's and one turns off.

I can see the risk to the electrical systems which is one reason I'm hesitant.

But the notion that this wouldn't increase visibility baffles me... I really don't get how it couldn't improve visibility?
Hi: lighting up objects in the distance with a narrow field of view
Lo: lighting up an expanded area around my vehicle with a short distance
Both: long narrow distance and short width... seems like win win to me??

Old 01-06-2012 | 05:49 PM
i'm going to jack your post here to answer a couple questions in this thread if you don't mind..

ccfls

lows and highs

cut off line

color flicker

terrible picture, but ebay projectors..

retrofitted heads

9006 halogen on left, h1 hid on right

Old 01-06-2012 | 06:21 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by ieee_raider
If I were running off road lights on the highway, I would surely get a ticket.

There are many models of cars that from the factory run headlights concurrently. I've seen them driving at me before. 2 obvious lamps on, they turn off hi's and one turns off.

I can see the risk to the electrical systems which is one reason I'm hesitant.

But the notion that this wouldn't increase visibility baffles me... I really don't get how it couldn't improve visibility?
Hi: lighting up objects in the distance with a narrow field of view
Lo: lighting up an expanded area around my vehicle with a short distance
Both: long narrow distance and short width... seems like win win to me??
It's just how your eyes work at night.....

Old 01-07-2012 | 01:38 AM
I don't know of too many modern vehicles that use both a high and low beam at the same time. In any case, think about what the light pattern is doing for low vs high beam. The low beambeing on with the high beam is just putting a bit more light up close to the front of the car, it isn't giving you more light down the road, nor is it really giving you any more side-to-side vision. I was suggesting the off-road lights for when you are on those country back roads you mentioned. Those will offer a much wider beam pattern illuminating the areas to the side of the road more than you will ever get from the stock housings. Obviously the off road lights aren't for use on the highway unless it's a sparsly traveled stretch of road.

Also, I do not have projector retrofits on my truck, nor do I have HID's at all. You mistaken that eBay projector housings are as good as a retrofit in terms of performance. I have seen many in person, and there is no contest to the performance of a true Xenon projector and a halogen projector.

Old 01-07-2012 | 11:39 PM
|
I don't know of too many modern vehicles that use both a high and low beam at the same time. In any case, think about what the light pattern is doing for low vs high beam. The low beambeing on with the high beam is just putting a bit more light up close to the front of the car, it isn't giving you more light down the road, nor is it really giving you any more side-to-side vision. I was suggesting the off-road lights for when you are on those country back roads you mentioned. Those will offer a much wider beam pattern illuminating the areas to the side of the road more than you will ever get from the stock housings. Obviously the off road lights aren't for use on the highway unless it's a sparsly traveled stretch of road.

Also, I do not have projector retrofits on my truck, nor do I have HID's at all. You mistaken that eBay projector housings are as good as a retrofit in terms of performance. I have seen many in person, and there is no contest to the performance of a true Xenon projector and a halogen projector.
Yeah, I'm not arguing performance or really arguing anything in an I'm right/ you're wrong kind of way. Just discussing and trying to understand other thoughts.

So speaking of halogen projectors, my wife's camry came with them stock. They don't have a super sharp cutoff. The cutoff in the eBay projectors that I installed have a very well defined cutoff (with a slight purple fringe at the edge). So the light doesn't look the same between the ebay projectors and an OEM halogen projector (light from ebays is much sharper)... so what is it you're looking for in a "true" projector? (in terms of light pattern)...

Old 01-10-2012 | 12:05 AM
Technical Article Contributor
Oh where to begin.(joking)
So speaking of halogen projectors, my wife's camry came with them stock. They don't have a super sharp cutoff. The cutoff in the eBay projectors that I installed have a very well defined cutoff (with a slight purple fringe at the edge). So the light doesn't look the same between the ebay projectors and an OEM halogen projector (light from ebays is much sharper)...
OEMs could have a plastic lens, or the lens is frosted so the cutoff blends into the background. I know OEM hid projectors do this. Also it's running halogens i believe which are quite a bit dimmer. The ebay projectors have a clear plastic lens and are using hids that makes the cutoff more sharp. Now a OEM projector, or biexon projector with a clear glass lens and the reflective material inside the bowl, and the design of the bowl will really throw the hid light. You'll have a wide, bright, clear cutoff. Now it also depends on how big the projector is. I know someone that threw PNP hids in a dodge truck headlights it was nothing but glare. He bought some newer complete PNP projector headlights and put hids in them from somewhere, and It does look good with minimum glare. Nothing like a true hid projector, but it does look like they are improving.

so what is it you're looking for in a "true" projector? (in terms of light pattern)...
The easiest way to describe it would be. You pull up in your truck behind two white vans.(side by side) Your're looking at how nice and bright your lights are and how good your cutoff looks on the back of the vans. You then notice in your mirrors some light flicker, it grabs your attention because your're looking for it now. As your're looking to see what kind of vehicle it is. A truck same as yours with retrofitted OEM clear lenses, or biexon with clear lenses pulls up beside you. You notice the bright clear cutoff on the white van in front of him. As your head turns forward you notice your admired bright cutoff is gone! You just see the truck beside yours, shining a bright clean cutoff on the back of the two vans. The cutoff is even spreading out onto the trees on the side of the road. Thats the difference!
Ha Ha or maybe it's just me! I see your lights being a big improvement over hid PNP. So as long as they are adjusted properly and you're happy with them that's all that matters.

Last edited by powerz69; 01-10-2012 at 12:22 AM.
Old 01-10-2012 | 07:56 AM
|
Originally Posted by powerz69
Oh where to begin.(joking)

OEMs could have a plastic lens, or the lens is frosted so the cutoff blends into the background. I know OEM hid projectors do this. Also it's running halogens i believe which are quite a bit dimmer. The ebay projectors have a clear plastic lens and are using hids that makes the cutoff more sharp. Now a OEM projector, or biexon projector with a clear glass lens and the reflective material inside the bowl, and the design of the bowl will really throw the hid light. You'll have a wide, bright, clear cutoff. Now it also depends on how big the projector is. I know someone that threw PNP hids in a dodge truck headlights it was nothing but glare. He bought some newer complete PNP projector headlights and put hids in them from somewhere, and It does look good with minimum glare. Nothing like a true hid projector, but it does look like they are improving.

The easiest way to describe it would be. You pull up in your truck behind two white vans.(side by side) Your're looking at how nice and bright your lights are and how good your cutoff looks on the back of the vans. You then notice in your mirrors some light flicker, it grabs your attention because your're looking for it now. As your're looking to see what kind of vehicle it is. A truck same as yours with retrofitted OEM clear lenses, or biexon with clear lenses pulls up beside you. You notice the bright clear cutoff on the white van in front of him. As your head turns forward you notice your admired bright cutoff is gone! You just see the truck beside yours, shining a bright clean cutoff on the back of the two vans. The cutoff is even spreading out onto the trees on the side of the road. Thats the difference!
Ha Ha or maybe it's just me! I see your lights being a big improvement over hid PNP. So as long as they are adjusted properly and you're happy with them that's all that matters.
Yeah I did some back road driving last night and decided that at least for now, I'm going to roll with the setup as designed (without modding such that lo's and hi's can both be on).
I did make an adjustment to my setup vs. the standard. I read the standard as 2" drop at 25 feet. I raised them about 1/4" so I now have about 1.75" drop at 25 feet. My cutoff was dead on the road in front of me instead of fading into the distance (with nothing in front of me). Now my cutoff isn't thrown on the road directly in front of me but instead fades into the distance (kind of like your signature pic). I've been paying attention and haven't seen the cutoff "breach" the dash of any oncoming vehicles. But I do have a very definite cutoff, it just has a purple fringe to it at the edge. (I got the 4300k so my lights are otherwise extremely white with not much blue effect).

Old 01-11-2012 | 12:40 PM
i have the black ones on my truck with all the stuff wired up. here a couple pics of what they look like in the dark. these are the 6K lights.

Old 01-11-2012 | 07:14 PM
i'm so glad i went with the ccfl versions now, you can't even tell the LED halos are on once the headlights are on.

Quick Reply: eBay Projector Headlamps in 2004 F150 - Pics