2004 - 2008 F-150

Fog light mod?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 12:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fog light mod?

While getting tires on my 06 Lariat today I noticed that the blue tinted ebay bulbs have melted both of my fog lite lenses. Have read that Silverstars will do same.

So has anyone tried these as replacements:

VISION X HALOGEN FOG LIGHTS, ROUND, CLEAR GLASS LENS, SET OF 2 -- 12 volts; 4.58 ampere draw; 4 x 4 x 2.37 in.; DOT approved; Includes replaceable 55 watts superwhite beam halogen bulbs with 250-hour lifespan, LED halo ring, wiring harness, and bug button LED lighted switch; With black die-cast aluminum housings, multi-surface reflectors for 30 percent more light output, and clear borosilicate hardened glass lenses; No batteries required; With 1-year Vision X limited warranty.

Finish: Clear lens

Material: Glass lens

Type: Direct fit, with bulbs

Quantity Sold: Set of 2

Warranty: 1-year Vision X limited warranty

Part #: VSXVX-L3

$77 for the pair. I'd like to do something to get as much light down there as possible without HIDs. I've looked at the mini-projector thread and that seems more complicated than I'm interested in - would like an easy plug n play mod if such exists, that's why I thought of the above.

Ideas? Do's? Don'ts? Open to all suggestions.

Old 01-07-2012, 01:13 AM
I've run silverstars in my fogs for years, actually the overpowered ones and never had any issues with melting.
I did get condensation in my stock ones after 5 years and bought the eagle brand on amazon I think it was as replacements and they're working fine with silverstars.

Old 01-07-2012, 09:56 AM
I've had the high power silverstars in mine as well for 6 yrs with no problem. I have an 05 with the oblong fogs ( which are far brighter than the little round fogs). I also did the mod where the fogs stay on when your high beams are on.
I think the people that have problems are the ones that run the fogs on all the time.

Old 01-07-2012, 10:02 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Never heard of the silver stars melting the lenses but I've had a first hand experience with those eBay bulbs doing that though......

Old 01-07-2012, 05:36 PM
A quick google search looks like they are these: http://www.carpartswholesale.com/v5/...l3163650foli09

I wouldn't touch them with a 10' pole but that is me. Blue tinted lens, check. Halo ring, check, looks like rice...

Quick Reply: Fog light mod?