2004 - 2008 F-150

Coolant question

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 11:35 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Question Coolant question

Anyone here use Super Tech coolant or Prestone All Makes All Models coolant in their F150 that calls for Ford Gold?

Old 01-11-2012, 10:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I use Zerex G-05 which is compatible with Ford Gold coolant. Bought at walmart.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:28 AM
Smile

Originally Posted by fatty4x4
I use Zerex G-05 which is compatible with Ford Gold coolant. Bought at walmart.
Thanx for replying fatty4X4. I know that Zerex G-05 is the same as factory Ford Gold,but i'm looking for people that have used any of the all makes all models coolant without problems. I'm going to call local radiator shops near me and get their input.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was told by both a independent shop and the people at my NAPA store not to mix different coolants.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:47 AM
Exclamation

Originally Posted by leopold
I was told by both a independent shop and the people at my NAPA store not to mix different coolants.
I don't intend on mixing them,I want to use one brand.
I just called 3 local radiator shops and they all use the AMAMs coolant.I got a history lesson on coolant from one owner that has had a radiator shop in his family for over 52 years! Oh,and he said ST will work just fine.

Old 01-11-2012, 11:08 AM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Coolant is coolant as long as it's the same type. You can get the 5-yr stuff which is usually orange, or you can get the regular stuff which is usually green. Just don't mix the two or you end up with sludge. If you fully flush the orange stuff, you can go back in with the green.

Old 01-11-2012, 11:32 AM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by SoonerTruck
Coolant is coolant as long as it's the same type. You can get the 5-yr stuff which is usually orange, or you can get the regular stuff which is usually green. Just don't mix the two or you end up with sludge. If you fully flush the orange stuff, you can go back in with the green.
SoonerTruck,do you own a radiator shop? I ask this because your answer is the same as most of the ones I called about this subject.
One shop owner said he uses Advance Auto brand coolant and buys it by the 55 gallon drum.

Old 01-11-2012, 01:34 PM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I do not, but it has been the advice I've recieved from any shop I've dealt with. I also has the misfortune of seeing a friend's vehicle which had the greenish-brown mixed coolant in it after an emergency repair (not a cracked block/head gasket issue). I believe even the manufacturers advise not to mix coolant types, but I could be wrong.

However, I've never done a chemical analysis between the different types, so I can't scientifically verify that they are signicantly different; it's all glycol-based either way.

Last edited by SoonerTruck; 01-11-2012 at 01:37 PM.
Old 01-11-2012, 02:00 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by SoonerTruck
it's all glycol-based either way.
I was just kidding ya about owning a radiator shop because the reply you gave was the same as the answers I was getting from shops.

And,what I quoted you here was the same thing they were telling me also.The shops said the coolants are all glycol based but only use dyes to distinguish one make from another.

Quick Reply: Coolant question