2004 - 2008 F-150

2006 F-150 100k Miles - 1st Transmission Flush

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012 | 08:53 PM
|
Question 2006 F-150 100k Miles - 1st Transmission Flush

I was wondering if I should get a flush on my '06 Supercab? It's never been done and has only been topped off by the previous owner. We just bought it at 96k miles. We're currently towing a '00 Toyota Celica across the country and I was told I might consider getting it flushed due to the towing. So far we haven't had any issues and it shifts just fine half way on our trip. I've been reading that these flushes are no good unless you've been doing them all along and that I should just drop the pan and replace the filter. I'm just not sure if the filter can even be replaced on this truck. I guess it would be a good idea to check the color of the tranny fluid and go from there. Any suggestions?

Old 01-12-2012 | 10:27 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Here's a link to what I did. I only put a hose mender where I cut the line, but a magnafine wouldn't be a bad idea as well. Stay away from "flushes" as they put un- needed and potentially problem causing detergents into your tranny. A "fluid exchange and filter change is what you want. Costed me less than $100 to do what this how-to entails while getting my filter and Mercon V at O' Reiley's. I would DEFINITELY exchange the fluid. I noticed a very noticeable difference in shifting, etc. after doing mine. With a few simple tools you can save yourself some mega cash and give your truck some healthy new fluid! Hope this helps!

Link for Transmission Fluid Exchange How- To

Quick Reply: 2006 F-150 100k Miles - 1st Transmission Flush