2004 - 2008 F-150

Fog Light Project

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012 | 02:11 PM
i can see where your getting at on some of your response, but from my experiance, higher up always seems to work better. as far as the stangs fog lights, i agree 100% that ford did it for nostalgia. they work pretty good in the fog though.

on another semi-related note, i have noticed that since i leveled and put bigger tires my truck lifting the front up about 5 inches total that the fog/aux/driving/whatever they are lights seem to project out quite a bit farther from the increased elevation. havent tried them in fog yet but it will be interesting the next time i do.

Old 03-05-2012 | 04:41 PM
There have been times that I was better off turning my headlights off and only using the "fog" lights. The fog around here is down right insane. I have been to several other states and have never seen fog that compares to the California valley "tule fog".

My point- lower mounting is better and the yellow ones don't do any better than the white ones in my experience.

Old 03-05-2012 | 06:31 PM
|
Originally Posted by Randyl9ll
yellow ones don't do any better than the white ones in my experience.
I would think that yellow ones have much more visible light then white.

I have 10k HID's on my truck and they are bright when looking at them but dont do s*** as far as seeing the road at night because they have no visible light. I have to turn on my PIAA 520's then because there is much more visable light on the road and there yellow or equivalent to 3000k

Old 03-05-2012 | 07:09 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Yellow versus white in foul weather has had some similar output from several experiments and tests I've seen done here recently. Basically anything >6000K is going to be the best useable light output.

Old 03-05-2012 | 10:34 PM
The yellow output allows for better contrast. It's like wearing yellow or orange-tinted sunglasses. It helps you see objects better, however, 4-5K white light is in "sweet spot" of human vision as it most closely simulates the sun. That's why I laugh at the ricers and their 14K HID's runnin around with violet lights.

Old 03-08-2012 | 03:22 PM
|
Alright, i sanded off the PIAA white and painted them with the universal black touch up paint. I also applied a thick layer of clear silicone on the strip LED's because they do not last more than 4 months when on a vehicle. I'm going to swap the bumpers on Saturday since it will be 60 out. Here are some pics

Old 03-08-2012 | 03:24 PM
Truck of the Month
Better! Much Better!

Old 03-08-2012 | 09:20 PM
Originally Posted by BL4CK3D0UT
Alright, i sanded off the PIAA white and painted them with the universal black touch up paint. I also applied a thick layer of clear silicone on the strip LED's because they do not last more than 4 months when on a vehicle. I'm going to swap the bumpers on Saturday since it will be 60 out. Here are some pics

See, every once in a while, I have a good idea! Looks great

Old 03-09-2012 | 09:29 PM
|
I got it installed now, didn't want to wait until tomorrow. I still have to make adjustments to the fog lights because they are aimed too high. Looks great with the LED halo's!

Old 03-09-2012 | 11:03 PM
Truck of the Month
Awesome!

Old 08-17-2012 | 11:12 PM
Ohhh ..... just found this reply quoting my earlier post.

Originally Posted by GTNOS
not true, if so, why are the fogs on my mustang the same height as the headlights?
Style is all .... Fog lights have a wide beam and work best lower as fog thins out near ground level. The old Mustangs with those grille lights often as not had Driving lights there, long range pencil beams, not fog lights. Fog lights at headlight level will work better than driving lights in fog .... but not as well as fog lights mounted lower where there's less fog to reflect light.

Originally Posted by GTNOS
fogs are lights that are aimed downwards. the downwards angle of the light keeps it from bouncing back at you. when the light hits the fog at the downward angle, it will bounce back downward, not upward. think of how a bullet would ricochet striking something at an angle. light works the same way.

higher up lights will work better for this.

for example, i have driven in the fog alot in my patrol car. the best way for me to see is if i turn on my spotlight (which is mounted high, above the drivers side mirror) and angle it down at the road. then i can see for quite a ways. i can also use my "take downs" which are mounted on the roof lightbar. they are bright white lights angled downward. their intent is to illuminate suspect cars from a higher point. they work awesome in the fog too.
Fog and light do not act like bullets and hard objects.

Those take downs are blinding if used in fog when driving, besides that use being illegal here in Va. You aiming the long range spot light down and finding it works better is because fog is thinner down lower.

You might check the SAE coding on Fog versus Driving versus Headlights. Different codibng, different light patterns, different uses, and better if mounted properly.

Look it up.

I too drove a police car a few times in heavy fog over the span of that 31 year career. Before that I drove mail trucks (most were F-350s but we had a few Chevrolet c-30s.) and we had PIAAs on them mounted under the bumper, and thgey worked very well.

Last edited by tbear853; 08-17-2012 at 11:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Fog Light Project