2004 - 2008 F-150

usb port

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012 | 12:11 PM
Originally Posted by SoonerTruck
I meant the alteration of the spring mechanism. It's similar to leaving the cigarette lighter pushed in all of the time. Granted you don't have a complete circuit, unless something in the USB adapter fails.
its not really "similar", since the USB adapter does not have a huge resistor coil designed to ignite things on fire... Or at least I assume it doesn't... I guess I haven't actually inspected it...

and even if the USB adapter fails somehow, the truck is protected by the fuse.

I'm pretty sure he is perfectly safe. If he starts eating up fuses then he may have a problem to fix.

Old 04-18-2012 | 02:42 PM
Originally Posted by SoonerTruck
I meant the alteration of the spring mechanism. It's similar to leaving the cigarette lighter pushed in all of the time. Granted you don't have a complete circuit, unless something in the USB adapter fails.
Valid thought. However the cigarette lighter and power point are essentially the same. Smaller fuse though. I took into consideration that the USB ports max out at 1amp a piece (being generous) and the cig. fuse is somewhere around 5 amps. I just took the metal cap off the spring so it sat more flush doesn't really change the design. It's been working great! Looks nice for a couple bucks. Wind your unused USB cable around the shifter.

Quick Reply: usb port