2004 - 2008 F-150

Engine problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012 | 08:22 PM
|
Engine problems

Ok guys Ill try to make this as short as possible.
Have a 2006 F150 with the 5.4L 3v in it 73900 miles on it . Took to dealership to have transmission leak fixed under warranty. While in there had dipstick tube and dipstick replaced cause it was stuck. Also got an oil change since it was due. Anyhow get a call from them stating transmission fixed but truck wont run now? I'm like wtf I drove it there and it was fine when I dropped it off. Said they would check and see what the problem was. Ended up telling me I had a dead cylinder so they started a tear down and found the cam journals scoured. I was really dumbfounded by all of this considering I changed the oil every 3-5k and only used MotorCraft oil and filters. Luckily I have kept all the garage receipts since I only get it done at one garage. They are taking the motor out and then calling in the warranty adjuster based on what they find. So I have searched and read so much about low oil pressure,journal scoring,starved for oil, blah blah blah. What are you guys opinions on this? I watch my gauges religiously due to being a truck driver so I am at a total loss what happened since I never lost oil pressure. They say the adjuster either approves a new motor or I buy a new one . I think they screwed something up what are your opinions?

Old 04-03-2012 | 10:33 PM
Originally Posted by Edge101
Ok guys Ill try to make this as short as possible.
Have a 2006 F150 with the 5.4L 3v in it 73900 miles on it . Took to dealership to have transmission leak fixed under warranty. While in there had dipstick tube and dipstick replaced cause it was stuck. Also got an oil change since it was due. Anyhow get a call from them stating transmission fixed but truck wont run now? I'm like wtf I drove it there and it was fine when I dropped it off. Said they would check and see what the problem was. Ended up telling me I had a dead cylinder so they started a tear down and found the cam journals scoured. I was really dumbfounded by all of this considering I changed the oil every 3-5k and only used MotorCraft oil and filters. Luckily I have kept all the garage receipts since I only get it done at one garage. They are taking the motor out and then calling in the warranty adjuster based on what they find. So I have searched and read so much about low oil pressure,journal scoring,starved for oil, blah blah blah. What are you guys opinions on this? I watch my gauges religiously due to being a truck driver so I am at a total loss what happened since I never lost oil pressure. They say the adjuster either approves a new motor or I buy a new one . I think they screwed something up what are your opinions?
if i was you id wanna see the damage...looks like a money hungry dealer to me

Old 04-04-2012 | 04:38 AM
I'm betting they forgot to put the oil in and it scored the cam journals (and who knows what else). How could it have a dead cylinder when it was fine when you drove it in? I worked in dealerships a good deal of my life and I'll guarantee you, there are plenty of screw ups by mechanics while your vehicle is in their shop. If it's something that doesn't affect the running (but will definitely fail on you weeks or months down the road), they just keep their mouth shut and leave the bill for you when it does fail. And these were good dealerships! I would want to be there when they pulled the motor apart.
Don't count on them being honest about what happened. If you're not vigilant you'll end up with an $8000.bill that wasn't yours to pay.
By the way, the oil guage on your truck is a "feel good guage". Henry figured you'd feel good if you thought you always had good oil pressure. Haven't you ever wondered why the oil pressure always stays at a little above half whether idleing or doing 80 on the freeway?? You should, because that makes no sense whatsoever. It won't drop from that position until you drop to about 4-6 lbs pressure, by then it's too late. This has nothing to do with the engine problem currently though, just an FYI.

Old 04-04-2012 | 07:45 AM
|
Originally Posted by kobra_commader
if i was you id wanna see the damage...looks like a money hungry dealer to me

I saw and felt the journals. They had some scoring but no burn marks which makes me believe that if it was stared for oil it wasnt very long.

Old 04-04-2012 | 07:48 AM
|
Originally Posted by code58
I'm betting they forgot to put the oil in and it scored the cam journals (and who knows what else). How could it have a dead cylinder when it was fine when you drove it in? I worked in dealerships a good deal of my life and I'll guarantee you, there are plenty of screw ups by mechanics while your vehicle is in their shop. If it's something that doesn't affect the running (but will definitely fail on you weeks or months down the road), they just keep their mouth shut and leave the bill for you when it does fail. And these were good dealerships! I would want to be there when they pulled the motor apart.
Don't count on them being honest about what happened. If you're not vigilant you'll end up with an $8000.bill that wasn't yours to pay.
By the way, the oil guage on your truck is a "feel good guage". Henry figured you'd feel good if you thought you always had good oil pressure. Haven't you ever wondered why the oil pressure always stays at a little above half whether idleing or doing 80 on the freeway?? You should, because that makes no sense whatsoever. It won't drop from that position until you drop to about 4-6 lbs pressure, by then it's too late. This has nothing to do with the engine problem currently though, just an FYI.
Oh I understand about the feel good gauge already. Had a 1998 ranger that the oil pump died on me and locked the motor up and the thing never moved. Like I said I was pretty pissed since I drove the truck there and it was running fine. I'm wondering if there is anything they could have forgot to hook back up when they were replacing the transmission seal. I was there when they were almost done with that and noticed a bunch of wires hanging down under my truck just wondering if one of those plugs had something to do with the engine.

Old 04-12-2012 | 09:35 AM
|
Just an update on this. Engine tore down and the piston had scored the cylinder wall. Asked how/why and nobody could give me an answer. Adjuster came out took some pics and got the call this morning they are dropping a new motor in it for me. Since all the hassle I went threw they also are doing my new plugs for free and ditching my $100 deductible YES!!!! Oh and how lucky am I?? The warranty was set to run out in 1100 miles lol.

Old 04-13-2012 | 04:16 AM
Good for you. I'm still betting that they forgot to put the oil in when they changed it. By the time they realized it, the damage was done, because it wouldn't take any time at all. What causes a cylinder wall to score after 74K mi. and you to have a dead cylinder when it ran just fine when you drove in? No oil is the only thing I can think of. Having worked in automotive all my life, from all I saw (in dealerships) I wouldn't have my vehicles worked on by someone else even if I could afford it. Why do you think they offered to "give" you the freebies? They knew they screwed up. The "new" engine will be a "Remanufactured", but that's OK. A whole lot better than a sharp stick in the eye, which is what they were gonna give you if the warranty guy had said "No"!

Quick Reply: Engine problems