2004 - 2008 F-150

Going crazy!!!!! Please help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2012 | 09:27 PM
|
Going crazy!!!!! Please help!!!!

I am looking at getting some new tires. I have spent hours and hours researching on the computer......I'm exhausted! I'm going to write out a hail marry and hopefully I'll get someone to help me decide.....

This is what I have: 2006 F150 Fx4 Scab w/2.5" Daystar Leveling Kit

This is what I want: Some kind of mud tire that has good tread life, plenty of road noise, and a cheap price tag.

I was originally thinking about getting the Mud Grapplers, but then I found out they only have a 30k mile tread life. So then, I thought about getting the Trail Grapplers, which are really nice and look fantastic, and they would be the perfect tire, except I've researched and the majority of the answers were that they don't have much road noise, if any at all. So that completely threw everything off.

What about BFG Mud Terrain KM2? Do they have much road noise?

Someone please help me find the right set of tires. I want something with some noise, and will last a long time, and aren't going to make me go broke, and they also have to fit on my 18" stock rims.... Any help is greatly appreciated, as I am exhausted from staring at my laptop for days/hours.

Old 04-08-2012 | 12:53 AM
I have an 06 with the trail grapps on the stock 18" wheels. They have been a great tire so far.

Why exactly do you want a loud tire? Just like the sound or what? Not criticizing you, its just I have never heard of anyone turning down getting a tire because it wasnt loud enough.

The trail grapps have some sound to them. They dont sound like an airplane runnin down the road though.

Old 04-09-2012 | 05:27 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Love my Toyo MTs....obviously not the cheapest and quiet for a mud tire when new....I have rotated them religiously every 5K miles with oil changes and have had them for about 40K miles....still have about 40% tread left and should do me just fine for 1 more winter....I drive quite a bit of highway miles as well. Gas mileage is a def downer with the heavier tire.

KM2's are also a great tire.

Old 04-09-2012 | 06:22 AM
Technical Article Contributor
You want lots of road noise. Can hear you coming, from MILES away.

Gumbo Monster Mudders.... Hard to find, they quit making them in 09 I believe, but I've seen them new online here and there. Gateway made them.

Old 04-09-2012 | 07:22 AM
Mud Grapplers make plenty of noise. Probably only last about 30k miles though. I'm on my first set, and they look like they will last around 30k. They actually weren't that expensive either. 35x12.50 R17 mounted and balanced with life time rotate/balance for $1215

Old 04-09-2012 | 03:54 PM
I have been rocking Toyo MT's for a while now. My last set hit 56,xxx miles before I replaced them. Here is a pic of the tread at 56,xxx with rotating them often.. They were also over 2 and a half years old with never using any sort of dressing or cleaning them outside of running it through a Prime Shine car wash about 2-3 times a year. Basically neglected and abused outside of keeping them rotated.

I had the same tires on stock wheels and I noticed they have more noise now that I have them mounted on Fuel Hostages with -12mm offset. In my experience, having them stick out of the fenders will increase the noise.

Quick Reply: Going crazy!!!!! Please help!!!!