2004 - 2008 F-150

Never again will I buy another POS Ford!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 06:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When you've had to replace the long block at 120K ($7500 out of my pocket) due to Fords **** poor design, (and after attempts to have it repaired under warranty) then maybe I'll sympathize.

Old 04-22-2012, 06:31 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by garo1
When you've had to replace the long block at 120K ($7500 out of my pocket) due to Fords **** poor design, (and after attempts to have it repaired under warranty) then maybe I'll sympathize.
What caused the KB?

Old 04-22-2012, 06:45 PM
I have the 4.6, which don't even get me started on what an underpowered piece of junk that is. I know I bought it to save money but to have this engine as the standard V8 in a truck is just laughable. As for the air filter, I'm not an idiot. It is in fact the worst designed air filter I've ever seen. You have the two plastic cylinders that are supposed to fit into one another with the junky metal strap that never fits on the raised portion of that joint to seal them together. It's a pain in the ***.

I forgot in my original post that I have one more big problem I need to address as well. Several times a week when starting the truck, there is this horrible grinding noise. I think some teeth have become jacked up either on the flywheel or the starter.

I had an '05 Silverado before this truck and I traded it in because it was starting to have some electrical problems. If only I'd known that those problems would pale in comparison to the Ford, I would have kept that truck in a heartbeat. I really miss that truck!

Just by chance I found out about a friend wanting to sell his '06 Nissan Titan with 61,000 miles on it the other day so I'm looking into that if I can unload my Ford quickly.

Old 04-22-2012, 06:52 PM
Originally Posted by aggieben04
I have the 4.6, which don't even get me started on what an underpowered piece of junk that is. I know I bought it to save money but to have this engine as the standard V8 in a truck is just laughable. As for the air filter, I'm not an idiot. It is in fact the worst designed air filter I've ever seen. You have the two plastic cylinders that are supposed to fit into one another with the junky metal strap that never fits on the raised portion of that joint to seal them together. It's a pain in the ***.

I forgot in my original post that I have one more big problem I need to address as well. Several times a week when starting the truck, there is this horrible grinding noise. I think some teeth have become jacked up either on the flywheel or the starter.

I had an '05 Silverado before this truck and I traded it in because it was starting to have some electrical problems. If only I'd known that those problems would pale in comparison to the Ford, I would have kept that truck in a heartbeat. I really miss that truck!

Just by chance I found out about a friend wanting to sell his '06 Nissan Titan with 61,000 miles on it the other day so I'm looking into that if I can unload my Ford quickly.

I think you just may have had a lil bad luck with the truck. All makes and models will have issues so I wouldn't necessarily say its a FORD thing also if your going to switch brands make sure that the Titan is your last choice, That truck is beyond overdue for a change, do your research and you will see what I mean

Old 04-22-2012, 07:06 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
The nice thing about the Titan is that you'll be the only guy in town with one of them......

Old 04-22-2012, 09:23 PM
Lol what? The 4.6 is a very solid engine.

How on earth do you call changing the air filter a pain in the ***? Lol

Im guessing that half the stuff youve mentioned wasnt even broke and that your mechanic had his way with you lol :P

Old 04-22-2012, 09:54 PM
I can sympathize with the o.p for a bit, but really, the air filter being a pain in the *** to do? It doesn't pop out automatically and replace itself but wow, have some faith. Ya, tranny and rear ends needing rebuilds that early is kinda b/s, but eating brakes? Think maybe crap pads, bad calipers and or rotors? Or the person doing them doesn't know how?

Let us know how you make out with the Rice-a-roni Titan or Tundra

For God's sake, if not another Ford, do a Chev!!

Old 04-22-2012, 11:04 PM
Sorry to hear youre having trouble, but really man, the air filter... it takes less than 3 minuets, there are a ton of vehicles that are way harder to get to.

As for the brakes... there is a lot of variation in materials and pads, and most importantly, their wear is determined by the driver more than anything

As for the transmission, 133k is a little soon, but not bad, my fiances suburban is on its 3rd with less than 250k... all manufactures have problems.

The engine, did you not test drive it before you bought it? You say it was to save money, but the 5.4 was not much of a price difference. I have a 4.6 too, and its not a fast truck, but ive got plenty of power. Try driving one of the old 5l trucks and tell me how "underpowered" the 4.6l is. Youve put 133k on it, if it was that big of an issue you would have traded the truck off, there are tons of 5.4l out there.

As for chevys and gm products in general, I find them to be cheap, but utilitarian. Like I said, my fiance has a 04 suburban, with a lot of problems.

I also spent the weekend driving around an 2010 GMC Yukon XL. It was a rental from my friends dealership to help with his wedding. It is 2 years old, has only 37k on it, and there were already rattles in the dash, as well as a noticeable piston slap from the 5.3 gm vortec. Its a comfortable suv, but i would never spend money on one.

My point is, all vehicles have issues, dont throw an entire brand under the bus because of one bad truck

Old 04-23-2012, 05:12 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had an '05 Silverado before this truck and I traded it in because it was starting to have some electrical problems.

How did you ever make it 2 years on the Chubby before having electrical problems? I've known guys who bought 'em brand new with electrical problems, That's standard fare for GM.
And have you asked your friend why he wants to get rid of the Titan(ic)? They were gonna quit making that a couple of years ago because nobody was buying 'em. Are they still working on what was in inventory or what? You do realize they come with a sissy rear end right? (8.8) That's a sissy's truck, not a man's truck.

Old 04-23-2012, 06:07 AM
You can have bad luck with any truck. even with proper maintanence. Good luck with your toyota i guess. As far as the air filter being a pain in the butt, im at a loss on that one. this is my 3rd f150 and never had anything but some recalls done to them.

Also nobody asked what you do with your truck. Do you tow a lot? just wondering because of replacing the brakes so often. I think that would be some helpful information. I also work highway construction so i get to see guys really use there trucks. My boss had his engine rebuilt with around 80k on his 07. Since then, and we abuse the crap out of this truck, runs most of the day and we pull a 14 ft box trailer that is way over weight. Hes sitting at just under 200,000 now. tranny is beginning to slip a little, but its getting up there.
The silverado guys always lose there bumpers at work and trade about every other year. ive owned one 08 as well, and wasnt impressed, only thing i liked was the high speed motor, but ill take my 5.4 to tow anyday over it. And yes i towed the same trailers with similiar weights and hands down Ford handles it much better. Good luck with your next truck, sorry to hear about your truck problems

Old 04-23-2012, 08:38 AM
I've known alot of people with many different brands and types of vehicles in my lifetime.

I've also learned over the years that some people will have problems with any and all vehicles they own, and others such as myself tend to have good luck with every vehicle they own.

I feel its the owners driving habits and maintenance practices (or lack there of) that makes the difference.

Hey I do understand that sometimes things break. But, when you title a thread such as this you are asking for unpleasant comments.

Last edited by pethel; 04-23-2012 at 11:30 AM.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:28 AM
TRUCK OF THE YEAR 2013

Originally Posted by SoonerTruck
if you've been gagging trouble installing an air filter. . .
Ooooo...kinky!

Originally Posted by code58
Air filter? I let my 3 yr old nephew change that. If it were any easier, it would change itself.
LMAO!!! I can relate!

Originally Posted by PJB4x4
with the exception of the tranny and rearend the rest seem like minor repairs on a high mileage truck.
Right. Well, maybe the tranny was a little premature...maybe. OP, did you have the entire rear end re-done or was it just the bearing and pinion seal?

Originally Posted by aggieben04
As for the air filter, I'm not an idiot...blah, blah, blah...It's a pain in the ***.
Yeah, no it's not. As many others have mentioned, it's so easy a kid could do it.

I have just turned 170K miles on my 2005 F150 5.4 4x4. So far (knocking on wood here) outside of what you'd expect for normal wear and tear and general maintenance in a truck, it's given me zero trouble.

And she runs like a champ!

You can get a good one or a bad one in any of 'em, I reckon. Happened to me once, and it was a Ford (Ranger). Owned it less than 2K miles, and Ford concurred that it was a 'lemon'. That's the only trouble I've had out of my seven Fords.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:42 AM
My old 02 Ford is a good ole truck and besides having a little 4.2 it does quite well. I have over 105K and I have a few seals off the tranny and rear end that need to be R&R but it isn't anything other than me being ****. I've had mine since it was new and I've looked at them all and I couldn't sell out from Ford with a clear conscience for me.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:29 PM
Originally Posted by Mike Sellner
My point is, all vehicles have issues, dont throw an entire brand under the bus because of one bad truck
agreed and im not a fan of the 4.6l intake lol. the truck i have now and my last 97 f150 were both very reliable. trannys held up, engine has never had problems. the only problems i really had was going through suspension parts. but who hasn't swapped out some balljoints, amirite?

Old 04-24-2012, 07:16 AM
If you think you can drive a vehicle for 6 years and 130,000+ miles without replacing anything...you my friend have NO comprehension of the mechanical world. You should lease your vehicle for 2 year stints and keep getting new ones...it will lessen your stress levels. Since I own a 1970 and a 2004 truck, and have worked on old airplanes for more than 40 years, I have learned you will ALWAYS be replacing/fixing something on anything that is mechanical....my last truck had 186,000 miles on it and I pretty much replaced or fixed everything but the tranny and rearend...some items multiple times. And my 1970 has been rebuilt several times, I just finished the third engine.

Chevy and Toyota Trucks are mechanical vehicles also...not going to change the need for maintenance and repair. Find yourself a good mechanic or just lease new vehicles under warranty. That way you won't have to struggle with air filter changes.

Quick Reply: Never again will I buy another POS Ford!