2004 - 2008 F-150

Shocks to reduce bed bounce

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012 | 08:00 AM
|
Shocks to reduce bed bounce

Hi

Are there any rear shocks that helps with bed bounce, that's drive me crazy.

Old 05-07-2012 | 08:46 AM
So very sorry fer the delayed response. I've been scourin' the Web fer y'all, lookin' fer a solution - and all I could find was this, so far.

Or, it that 'un don't work, there's this one:

Contact Taylor Devices Inc. If a pair o' these babies don't stop yer bed from shakin', nuttin' will.

Some minor fabrication may be required to integrate, though.

Seriously - I don't think any shock is gonna help - it's a loos open box mad or flimsy sheer metal. and the frame does torque some.

Good luck!

PS - ya may wanna try the suspension forum: https://www.f150online.com/forums/suspension-28/

Last edited by MGDfan; 05-07-2012 at 01:11 PM.
Old 05-07-2012 | 12:07 PM
If the "bed bounce" you're talking about is the bouncing up and down of the portion of the bed behind the rear wheel wells, that's not a suspension issue. That's sheet metal flex. Maybe if you put in a real soft shock ... But then lord help you if you tow or put a load in it.

Old 05-07-2012 | 12:11 PM
Global Moderator &
The only time I have experienced bed bounce(on my truck), is when a rear tire is out of balance.

Old 05-07-2012 | 12:38 PM
I tried a few things people recommended to eliminate/reduce the bed bounce and it never really went away. New tires, check balance, new bilstien shocks and add trailer hitch and nothing did anything noticeable.

Old 05-07-2012 | 06:09 PM
When my tires hit 40K then i started getting a real bad shimmy in the bed and I could see the bed shaking going down the highway. Was not really an alignment or a balance issue I just had little tread left on the tire and what was there was not a perfectly flat surface. Maybe relatable, I don't know.

Old 05-07-2012 | 08:11 PM
Originally Posted by Bluejay
The only time I have experienced bed bounce(on my truck), is when a rear tire is out of balance.
I was driving through downtown Canandaigua, NY the other day on the way home. Beside me was an almost new F-150 FX4. At the north end of town are two sets of railroad tracks - which we went over with me just beside his rear bumper. I was astounded at how much his box bounced up and down behind the rear wheel wells. I then looked back to find mine doing the exact same thing. So it's not just out of balance tires. It's bumps in the road. And for those of you that just thought other brands do this ...

Old 05-07-2012 | 08:28 PM
Mine does this too, it's more like a "wobble" I learned to deal with it and hope nobody else notices it

I replaced my tires, shocks, leaf springs and shackles. Nothing made it better.

Old 05-07-2012 | 11:27 PM
|
Mine is more like tire bounce when it hit a bump or something in the road, and is kind of dangerous because vehicle fills like it loss traction when this happen.

I replace shocks about a year ago beacuse of this and the problem feel worse with the ranchos, maybe because they are stiffer, now i'll try KYB jus-a-gas to see if it improves, and if nothing happen i'll just live with it, until i can get a new truck.

Old 05-08-2012 | 07:08 AM
Originally Posted by symon_say
Mine is more like tire bounce when it hit a bump or something in the road, and is kind of dangerous because vehicle fills like it loss traction when this happen.

I replace shocks about a year ago beacuse of this and the problem feel worse with the ranchos, maybe because they are stiffer, now i'll try KYB jus-a-gas to see if it improves, and if nothing happen i'll just live with it, until i can get a new truck.
What kind of tires? Inflation pressure? Any suspension mods ( add-a-leaf, etc)?

It's a TRUCK, with an archaic rear suspension, a stiff frame, and with an unloaded bed, is relatively light in the back end. Add roads that are crap, and that's what you'll get.

A new truck will have the SAME issues, so yer fooling yerself if you think that will make any difference. Some of the folks responding to you in this thread HAVE New trucks.

You need a car ...

Old 05-08-2012 | 08:13 AM
Pretty tough to control wheel hop with leaf springs. Seriously, the bed bounce isn't really any worse on this truck than any other truck, it's mainly the fact that the sides of the bed are not a solid piece with the floor of the bed. This, combined with thinner metal, causes more noise than on older models but is still as "strong". You can try things to reduce the bed bounce, but it's difficult to remove an anomaly that is present on all trucks due to the type of suspension needed to haul heavy loads.

Old 05-08-2012 | 10:48 AM
I had the condition you are describing (the feeling as if the rear wheels were no longer in contact with the road and wanted to swing around and become the front wheels of the vehicle!) really bad in my little '97 Ranger when the factory shocks were getting long-in-the-tooth.

I replaced the shocks at all four corners (standard Monroe Sensatracs) and it made a HUGE difference in how the truck responded over bumpy surfaces -- especially at highway speeds. I noticed the same thing over the past few months of driving the vehicle, so it looks as if it's time for me to replace the shocks again before I start driving that truck regularly again next fall.

Old 05-08-2012 | 11:55 AM
I had a similar feeling, like the rear wheels bouncing when going over a bump with the bed empty, and made it much better by adjusting the tire pressure. My tires have a max inflation pressure of 44 psi. I dropped the pressure to 38 psi and it helped a lot and still drives fine. I only go up to 44 when I want to carry a load.

Old 05-08-2012 | 11:57 AM
|
I know trucks do this, but not to the point this happen in my truck, that you lose control over the vehicle if you hit a bump at normal speed, that's wrong.

It feels like when you have a bad shock, if the tire hit a bump it just jump up and down, and give the sensation like when you go over water at high speed and vehicle hydroplane, that's dangerous.

I'll see if the new shocks do better and truck feels better, the rancho RS5000 are to stiff and they made the problem worse.

Old 05-08-2012 | 12:00 PM
it must be nice to have so few issues in life that a little "bed bounce" is significant enough to drive you crazy.

to me, its just part of the truck. If it is not creating a physical issue (hitting the cab, doing damage, etc) then its no big deal. I would rather have better MPGs then have a 8000 pound chassis that never ever flexes.

Why are you staring at your bed while driving? If you think that's bad, stick your head out the window and watch the wheels... I bet the "wheel bounce" is even worse when you hit bumps and potholes!

Quick Reply: Shocks to reduce bed bounce