2004 - 2008 F-150

The mysterious noise when towing

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012 | 08:24 PM
|
The mysterious noise when towing

On a recent fishing trip to NY from PA I got this noise coming from my rear passenger tire area. I am only towing a tracker pro team 175 bass boat that weighs 2000k at the most. The best way to explain this noise is when you grind a piece of aluminum on a sander. I eliminated the trailer because i hooked it up to my brothers jeep and my dads f150. I hook my truck up and bam, there it is. Its almost very faint when I am not towing anything. I just put new brakes/rotors in the rear, took everything apart put it back together and the noise is still there. What adds to this mystery is that when i hit the brakes the noise goes away. Could it be my axle? Anyone have any input because i am stumped!!!

Old 05-21-2012 | 09:05 PM
more info, but there was a similar thread where a guy also had a noise only when towing, and it was something about his ebrake needing lubed? im sure someone can chime in with more info

Old 05-21-2012 | 09:08 PM
Just throwing these two ideas out there. Rear drum brakes (parking brake) touching the inside of the rotor when you think its disengaged. Or rear calipers that need new seals so they don't retract enough and drag? Not really too sure why towing would make it more evident though

Old 05-22-2012 | 06:16 PM
|
Starting to narrow down the problem. Its making the noise when i am towing because there is weight in the back end, I can hear the noise even when i am not towing but only when going over potholes. Basically this noise is gengerated when the spring sags or there is weight on the shocks. But why does it go away when i hit the brakes?

Old 05-22-2012 | 09:03 PM
I have a 2004 and had a funny rear end noise - kind of a ticking noise that was louder with a rear load. First misdiagnosed as rear U joint. Replaced U joint - noise still there. Finally discovered a heat shield over the rear drive shaft that was coming in contact with the drive shaft. Got shield out of way and no more noise.

Old 05-30-2012 | 09:43 PM
|
Took the truck into the dealership to have them look at the noise, they couldnt hear it and they didnt find anything wrong. They said everything looks good. Well now when I can hear what sounds exactly like an airgun when i hit a bump or pothole that is primarily on the right side. Whatever is wrong this is driving me nuts!! Does this noise that sounds like an airgun help with anyone explaining to me what this is?

Old 05-31-2012 | 12:54 AM
Hook up the boat and have someone ride in the bed to try and narrow down the location of the noise. Sometimes when you hear things they are not always coming from where it sounds like. Does it do it at all speeds?

Old 06-03-2012 | 06:36 PM
Originally Posted by Bob Chapman
I have a 2004 and had a funny rear end noise - kind of a ticking noise that was louder with a rear load. First misdiagnosed as rear U joint. Replaced U joint - noise still there. Finally discovered a heat shield over the rear drive shaft that was coming in contact with the drive shaft. Got shield out of way and no more noise.
happend to me but only time i didnt hear the noise was when i hit bumps and the sheild would go up and then hand back down on my drive shaft....i got some over sized washers and its good as new now

Old 06-03-2012 | 06:56 PM
i have the same noise, but happens when im just driving.

Old 06-03-2012 | 06:58 PM
Putting my foot on the break pedal gets ride of it.

Quick Reply: The mysterious noise when towing