2004 - 2008 F-150

2004 5.4 spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2012 | 12:33 PM
I don't know it doesn't look like the extension is a swivel. but then I did see some movement to the extension when he pushed the impact into it. I sent him a message and asked.

Old 07-02-2012 | 09:07 AM
|
Good news and bad news:

The bad news...I recieved my plugs and coil from rockauto. I went straight to #5 cyclinder and tried to remove that plug ...it broke. But, the way it broke is the hex cap and threaded part seperated from the base, and the ceramic didn't break at all.

So I tightend it back down, and now I'm waiting for the Lisle kit to arrive.

The good news...it was the coil that was causing the miss. I installed the new one, and it hasn't missed at all since. (this is why I'm pretty sure the ceramic didn't break...if it had, I would probably have a solid miss on that cylinder now)

I only let the carb cleaner sit for about twenty or thirty minutes on the one I attempted. I'll probably let them soak overnight when I go after them again.

And if I can find anyone in town who has a BG or MotorVac system, I am comptemplating payin for this service to improve my odds. I did run one tank of Techron throught it beforehand. And I am now running a second tank with Techron in it.

Question. I know that I need to break that one plug with a long screwdriver or equivelant, and I know that the lower down in the base part the ceramic breaks off, the better. So should I unscrew the hex cap first, before the "force breaking" of the plug? This seems to me it would allow it to break off lower down in the base.

Old 07-03-2012 | 12:53 PM
[youtube]XoDH_RBrzf8[/youtube]

Old 07-03-2012 | 03:57 PM
Originally Posted by glc
sorry, you have been given incorrect information.
x2!

Old 07-03-2012 | 09:55 PM
Originally Posted by jdeacon
youre not supposed to apply anti-seize fyi. i mean you made it this far just fine so no biggy, but the coating on the new 515s is anti-seize. i just did the plugs on my 5.4 and asked the same questions as you, and everyone including my dealer said noooooo anti-seize. and yeah 515 is 1 piece but dealer still recomends every 60k. not to burst your bubble, but my dealer did fuel treatment, intake treatment, and soaked them overnight and 3 still broke. so just be preparred ya know
The SP-515's are still 2 piece, and they don't come with a coating. Nickel anti-seize is still required on the ground shield.

Old 07-06-2012 | 06:50 PM
|
Done!

I'm glad that's out of the way with for now.

Ended up breaking #5 and #7, the rest came out in one piece. That Lisle tool is worth it's weight in gold.

I think I'll not let these plugs get over 50K on them anymore. Also did a fuel filter and air filter, and also changed oil and filter.

Quick Reply: 2004 5.4 spark plugs