2004 - 2008 F-150

strange sound, can't figure it out

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2012 | 03:56 PM
|
strange sound, can't figure it out

Last night while driving my 04 F150 FX4 (with 56000 miles) I heard a strange sound that I think is coming from the front end. It sounds almost identical to a rock hitting the bottom of the truck, but it is happening often enough that it is not a rock. There is no pattern to the sound either, for about 5 mins it was happening about every 5 secs or so, then it didn't made a sound for about 10 mins. The sound is not very load, it can only be heard when driving under 30-35 mph and I was able to hear it best when I was in town with houses/buildings on both sides of the truck. But once about 40mph or with the windows rolled up at any speed it can not be heard.

This week I am going to check all the suspension and bolts to see if I can figure it out, something in the suspension was the first thing that came to my mind.

Does anyone any idea what this sound may be??

Old 07-08-2012 | 09:23 PM
|
Before I put the truck in the garage tonight I took a quick look underneath to see if I could see anything. The only thing that I saw was that the drivers side strut looks to have leaked alittle. The bottom ring that the coil spring rests on had an oily film on it. My wife won't be back from China until Wednesday night, so I won't be able to look at it until Thursday night. But then I plan on taking the front tires off, its time to rotate them anyways, and inspecting everything.

Who knows, maybe what I saw on the strut wasn't anything, but as of now its the only think that is not "right" that I have seen. So I am totally open to any suggestions!

Old 07-08-2012 | 09:39 PM
I think I have the same thing. Sounds like something is loose and lightly knocking against the frame or something. Only hear at low speed as you mentioned. It is random but seems to occur more on a semi bumpy road. I have 99K, and will be replacing front suspension soon, so I am hoping that takes care of it.

Old 07-08-2012 | 09:44 PM
Check for a broken coil. Also is the strut bowed at all?

Old 07-09-2012 | 07:27 PM
Check your sway bar linkages. They changed the design in 2006 I think. Maybe 2005 Im not sure. Anyways the sway bar linkages I have on my 2004 have a 90 degree angle where they meet the sway bar. I think, not 100% sure, that they got rid of the 90 degree angle and they dont wear out as fast after that. But your still stuck buying the one that fits your truck with the 90 degree angle. I replaced both mine with Moog and they dont make anymore noise and they are greasable. Hope this helps

Old 07-09-2012 | 08:51 PM
Technical Article Contributor

check the sway bar bushings also if the end links appear ok....

Old 07-09-2012 | 09:48 PM
|
ok, thanks guys!!

Old 07-12-2012 | 08:58 PM
|
I tore into the truck, and I am kinda stumped now. I can't figure out what is causing the noise. I the sway bar links and bushings look good, the ball joints are tight and boots are in great shape, all bolts are tight. Although I did think about spraying some silicone lube into the sway bar bushings just to make sure that isn't the cause.

The only thing that appears out of sore it the oily film on the strut, it is from about 2 inches above the lower spring perch and extends down to where the strut attaches to the A-arm.

One of my co-workers is a motor head, so I am going to have him listen to it and see what he thinks it may be. If he can't figure it out I am probably just going to take it to a local shop and have them look at it, since we are taking the truck on a little trip in about 9 days.

Any input??

Old 07-14-2012 | 11:33 PM
jacked the truck up today and noticed that I could rock the tire horizontally due to the steering linkage being loose (I think I may be referring to the tie rod). The rubber on my stabilizer bar link on the same side looks collapsed as well. The rubber washers around my shock are rotting as well. Guess I am going to go ahead and replace all my front suspension parts that have bushings/rubber.

Quick Reply: strange sound, can't figure it out