2004 - 2008 F-150

Spark Plug Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012 | 05:44 PM
|
Spark Plug Upgrade

I want to do my spark plugs an upgrade, so I found some E3 Spark Plugs from Summit Racing, do I need anything else for the upgrade that is required or I just need, here's the site for the spark plugs: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ETP-E3-62/

Old 07-25-2012 | 08:15 PM
Do yourself a favor and just get the Motorcraft SP-515 plugs. Do a search on here and you will find that the E-3's did not work out very well for most of (us) that tried them. For me it was around 4000 miles and started to get misfires. That being said, as the saying goes, it's your money and your truck, buyer beware.

Old 07-25-2012 | 08:45 PM
Originally Posted by sam1947
do yourself a favor and just get the motorcraft sp-515 plugs. Do a search on here and you will find that the e-3's did not work out very well for most of (us) that tried them. For me it was around 4000 miles and started to get misfires. That being said, as the saying goes, it's your money and your truck, buyer beware.
+1 ........................

Old 07-25-2012 | 08:48 PM
Global Moderator &
+2. There is not really such a thing as a plug upgrade for these engines. Motorcrafts perform very well.

Old 07-25-2012 | 09:29 PM
Originally Posted by Bluejay
+2. There is not really such a thing as a plug upgrade for these engines. Motorcrafts perform very well.
RANT: The fact that no one can make a reliable 1 piece plug for the 5.4 3V just seems unbelievable to me. I just don't understand what's so difficult in the MFG process that the Motorcraft plugs can't be made 1 piece, 8 years later this drama continues...... Is this just Ford being stubborn and not willing to admit failure on this? Just blows me away.

To the OP, the E3 plugs have a bad track record on this forum, a search will reveal this. About the only 1 pc plug that has any support on here is the Champion, and there's plenty of naysayers on those plugs too.

Old 07-25-2012 | 10:04 PM
Originally Posted by jntibs
RANT: The fact that no one can make a reliable 1 piece plug for the 5.4 3V just seems unbelievable to me. I just don't understand what's so difficult in the MFG process that the Motorcraft plugs can't be made 1 piece, 8 years later this drama continues...... Is this just Ford being stubborn and not willing to admit failure on this? Just blows me away.

To the OP, the E3 plugs have a bad track record on this forum, a search will reveal this. About the only 1 pc plug that has any support on here is the Champion, and there's plenty of naysayers on those plugs too.
Motorcraft has no reason to mfg a one piece plug now that they have solved the problem with a new head design in mid 08. That being said, this problem will only go away when the last 3v 5.4 is in the grave. I will not down-play the Champion solution as there has been some good reviews on here with them. The biggest thing I have seen with the Champions is that they can crack the porcelain very easily during shipping and or installation, also it is advisable to replace the COP boots if changing the plug design. From what I have read on here it's a 50/50 opinion with the Champs.

Old 07-25-2012 | 10:10 PM
Originally Posted by jntibs

If the SP-515 plug is used (an improved version of the SP-507), nickel anti-seize is used on the ground shield, the proper torque is used when the plugs are replaced, and the plugs are replaced again at 60K miles, there should not be a breakage problem.

Old 07-25-2012 | 10:41 PM
Originally Posted by Takeda
...there should not be a breakage problem...
And even if there is, the Lisle tool makes extraction stupid easy. You almost hope at least one breaks, cause you got that tool and you wanna use it!

Old 07-27-2012 | 08:51 AM
I am getting ready to change my plugs tomorrow. 197k on the originals. Could make for a long day. Any opinions on the Autolite HT1?

Old 07-27-2012 | 09:15 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by Drshovelhead
I am getting ready to change my plugs tomorrow. 197k on the originals. Could make for a long day. Any opinions on the Autolite HT1?
Junk...

wait a week and start using chevron techron, berrymans b12, or gumout with regain in your gas tank......these will help clean/soften the carbon deposites in the head plug pocket....no garuntees but the can help and they're better than nothing at all...

motorcraft sp515 only

brisk if you're supercharged....

Old 07-27-2012 | 09:19 AM
Global Moderator &
If the plugs were good for 197,000 miles, why would you not want to go with the same brand?

Old 07-27-2012 | 09:44 AM
Good point on using the Motorcraft. I didn't think of it as getting 197k out of them. I just called the Autozone down the street and they just got them in stock. I will go with them. Thanks.

I have been running seafoam in the tank for the last 2 tanks. I would like to run one more but, this weekend is the only time I have acces to a Ford IDS (?), to test the COPs. I am getting a little stutter under load between 45-55mph. Originally I was getting a rumble at that speed, so I had a transmission flush done. Now it is just the stutter. No codes.

Old 07-27-2012 | 09:44 AM
I went with the Champions. No problems and I have over 30k miles on them....Look at my bio....

Old 07-27-2012 | 10:21 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Good point on using the Motorcraft. I didn't think of it as getting 197k out of them. I just called the Autozone down the street and they just got them in stock. I will go with them. Thanks.

I have been running seafoam in the tank for the last 2 tanks. I would like to run one more but, this weekend is the only time I have acces to a Ford IDS (?), to test the COPs. I am getting a little stutter under load between 45-55mph. Originally I was getting a rumble at that speed, so I had a transmission flush done. Now it is just the stutter. No codes.
Argh....I give up....

Last edited by 88racing; 07-27-2012 at 10:24 AM.
Old 07-27-2012 | 11:19 AM
I have about 150-200 miles to drive before I start this process. Just about fininshed with the 2nd tank. Would it be wise to double up on the Techron with a 1/4-1/2 tank of fuel before I attempt this? I have the Lisle as well just in case.

Quick Reply: Spark Plug Upgrade