2004 - 2008 F-150

i survived a plug change you can too.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012 | 11:56 AM
|
I used that code 6 or 7 times i prob saved 300 dollars with it

Old 08-20-2012 | 01:49 PM
I'm starting to think about changing my plugs...mine were changed about 50k ago, and were supposedly replaced with the SP515's.

Anyone think I'm safe to try this without the isle tool?

Ive had 2 cylinder misfires and replaced the Coils on all of the cylinders at the beginning of the year...

Old 08-20-2012 | 09:48 PM
Originally Posted by kcward
I'm starting to think about changing my plugs...mine were changed about 50k ago, and were supposedly replaced with the SP515's.

Anyone think I'm safe to try this without the isle tool?

Ive had 2 cylinder misfires and replaced the Coils on all of the cylinders at the beginning of the year...
How many miles you have on the plugs? If its under 80k, I'd feel safe doing it but I would still follow part of the TSB, soak with PBS Blaster, .25 turn, let soak then get them out. This is my opinion based on you saying original plugs have been replaced.

Old 08-20-2012 | 09:55 PM
Originally Posted by luvmydux
how many miles you have on the plugs? If its under 80k, i'd feel safe doing it but i would still follow part of the tsb, soak with pbs blaster, .25 turn, let soak then get them out. This is my opinion based on you saying original plugs have been replaced.

i'm starting to think about changing my plugs...mine were changed about 50k ago, and were supposedly replaced with the sp515's.

Anyone think i'm safe to try this without the isle tool?

Ive had 2 cylinder misfires and replaced the coils on all of the cylinders at the beginning of the year...

Old 08-20-2012 | 10:22 PM
From: Currently Oregon, Could be anywhere. Chasing the dream
Man I keep reading about you guys busting plugs and it is weird. I had a guy, a shade tree mechanic loser that owed me money change my 99 5.4 about the first 100k. After he changed them I went on a huge trip pulling a trailer and One of the plugs shot out on me. I had to fix it, but it didn't require any machine work. In fact I just paid a shop a couple hundred to replace that plug.... after I put it in myself in the middle of the desert in Nevada. It kept missing after I changed it and I couldn't figure out how to get the coil back on. Crazy thing, I had left a socket on the plug. I took it to a mechanic in Louisiana and they had a good laugh on me. They only gave me my socket back if I promised to never use it again... But anyway, they were decent guys and just replaced a couple bad plug and a coil or two. I was so glad to have my truck running right again. Now I am at 200k and it is a bit sluggish. Not Missing at idle, but sluggish under a load going up a hill, acts like it is starving. Replaced the Air Filter, replaced the fuel filter, put Seafoam in it and next week I am going to replace the plugs. It is not missing, so I cannot figure out what is wrong, but I want to have all the obvious **** out of the way so when I finally do take it to the shop we can rule all that stuff out. If it is still (starving) after the plugs I will go through the list of the other things everyone says to replace (sensors). That may leave the Cat and if they tell me it is that we are going to explore some bypass options. I found a way to never have to have my truck inspected that I will not share, and I will bypass a plugged cat before I replace them. Oh yeah... the gas I have been burning lately is discount places, low grade and 10% alcohol. I will figure this out. And I am guessing the 1999 not a plug breaker??????

Last edited by randude1999; 08-20-2012 at 10:27 PM.
Old 08-20-2012 | 10:30 PM
Originally Posted by randude1999
Man I keep reading about you guys busting plugs and it is weird. I had a guy, a shade tree mechanic loser that owed me money change my 99 5.4 about the first 100k. After he changed them I went on a huge trip pulling a trailer and One of the plugs shot out on me. I had to fix it, but it didn't require any machine work. In fact I just paid a shop a couple hundred to replace that plug.... after I put it in myself in the middle of the desert in Nevada. It kept missing after I changed it and I couldn't figure out how to get the coil back on. Crazy thing, I had left a socket on the plug. I took it to a mechanic in Louisiana and they had a good laugh on me. They only gave me my socket back if I promised to never use it again... But anyway, they were decent guys and just replaced a couple bad plug and a coil or two. I was so glad to have my truck running right again. Now I am at 200k and it is a bit sluggish. Not Missing at idle, but sluggish under a load going up a hill, acts like it is starving. Replaced the Air Filter, replaced the fuel filter, put Seafoam in it and next week I am going to replace the plugs. It is not missing, so I cannot figure out what is wrong, but I want to have all the obvious **** out of the way so when I finally do take it to the shop we can rule all that stuff out. If it is still (starving) after the plugs I will go through the list of the other things everyone says to replace (sensors). That may leave the Cat and if they tell me it is that we are going to explore some bypass options. I found a way to never have to have my truck inspected that I will not share, and I will bypass a plugged cat before I replace them. Oh yeah... the gas I have been burning lately is discount places, low grade and 10% alcohol. I will figure this out. And I am guessing the 1999 not a plug breaker??????
Correct 97- mid/late 03's spit plugs. On here torquing to 28lbs is recommended iirc due to only 4 threads on the plug wells.

Old 08-20-2012 | 10:50 PM
From: Currently Oregon, Could be anywhere. Chasing the dream
Originally Posted by TruckGuy24
Correct 97- mid/late 03's spit plugs. On here torquing to 28lbs is recommended iirc due to only 4 threads on the plug wells.
Thanks For That... I have read two threads completely on plug breaking, one is very old, and I didn't know what was up. You cleared it up and obviously know what you are talking about. I bet My problem boggles your mind or you would have said though... But a plugged cat will cause missing and over heating. I don't have Either. In fact I just come back from a trip across the mountains and back (in 100 degree heat) and temp didn't go up above normal. This truck amazes me. This engine is the best part. I wonder if I will get another 200k out of it. If I did Ford should give me a new one. I had a couple bad years financially and have not taken care of this thing like I should and it still keeps going. No Smoke and No real oil burn, No Overheating and I don't think I have ever changed the coolant. I have never replaced any of the normal sensors either. I am a clear example of what not to do with a vehicle you love. Now I am making money again and climbing out of the hole.. one of my top priorities is getting this truck capable of pulling a trailer to Denver and then on down to Costa Rica. For over ten years that is what this vehicle has meant to me was something reliable with not much work or money. Tires are expensive and it eats brakes.. oh and it sucks gas.

Old 08-20-2012 | 11:38 PM
Changed mine at 70155 this weekend. No tool because it is not a daily driver. Didn't break any plugs. Three were very stubborn but I worked at them and it all worked out.

Quick Reply: i survived a plug change you can too.