2004 - 2008 F-150

What floor jack to get??

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 10:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dog'em
I got mine from Harbor Freight, not sure what brand or model but it had good reviews. Use it on everything from my son's Tiburon to my lifted truck, lifts with ease.
Do you know which one you have or have a model number?

Old 04-02-2013, 10:33 AM
Originally Posted by alfack
This is the one they sell at Costco. It rocks:

http://www.adamsautoadvice.com/2011/...r-from-costco/

I quit buying most craftsman stuff after my bench vice that was craftsman, but made in china, crumbled in my hands.
That is a nice hack fir the price but I don't think there is a Costco near me that I know of. I will have to search and see. Thanks!

Old 04-09-2013, 03:36 AM
I bought my 2.5 ton Powerbuilt at a parts store on sale for about $75. I can't really see needing anything else for a 1/2 ton pick up. The handle slides over a socket wrench to make a great breaker bar too.

Old 04-09-2013, 09:48 PM
I use a 4 ton Craftsman bottle jack, and I never use the pumpkin because the engineers at FOMOCO told me not to. I may just start a thread on trans issues due to using the rear diff as a jack point. HMMMMMM...

Old 04-10-2013, 08:55 PM
Originally Posted by Invenstory
I use a 4 ton Craftsman bottle jack, and I never use the pumpkin because the engineers at FOMOCO told me not to. I may just start a thread on trans issues due to using the rear diff as a jack point. HMMMMMM...
I used to use the pumpkin...Now i don't.

it's not an easy fix when you break the gasket seal.

Old 04-14-2013, 01:25 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Where do you guys jack the rear end at now with a service jack?

I still do this, and set 3 ton jack stands under the axle so I can use the jack up front.

Old 04-14-2013, 04:27 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeyDubs
Do you know which one you have or have a model number?
Sorry I haven't been on here in a while. Not sure what model number or Harbor Freight catalog number but it's a Pittsburgh 3 ton rapid pump. Goes low enough for my son's sports car and high enough to lift my truck with ease. Works great on my tractor too, just had to swap out a tire this weekend.

Old 04-21-2013, 08:49 PM
What do you guys use when in the road?? I have bought two OEM scissor jacks the past couple years. But they are only good for about two uses on these heavy beasts. I am thinking of buying one of the Harbor Freight rapid pump jacks and fabbing a box under the bed...if there is room on the passenger side. My 5.5' bed is too small to just keep the jack in there rolling around.

Have also thought about those inside the bed tool boxes but they aren't large enough inside for these floor jacks.

Old 04-21-2013, 11:02 PM
I also bought the 3 ton craftsman, two stands, and creeper on sale at sears. It was 99 bucks, and has given me no trouble ( the creeper is garbage!).

Old 04-21-2013, 11:09 PM
Originally Posted by aktrolin
I also bought the 3 ton craftsman, two stands, and creeper on sale at sears. It was 99 bucks, and has given me no trouble ( the creeper is garbage!).
I just replaced my rear brakes on my 4x4 truck that is the highest vehicle off the ground that I have ever owned. I have a question for you 3 ton jack guys...

I jacked up my truck from the frame right at my back door. My Craftsman 4 ton jack was barely tall enough to get my rear wheel off the ground. 19 13/16" max height. A 3 ton jack is shorter.

Where do you jack up your truck at? I almost wish I had a 5 ton jack.

Old 04-21-2013, 11:27 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by domsf150
I just replaced my rear brakes on my 4x4 truck that is the highest vehicle off the ground that I have ever owned. I have a question for you 3 ton jack guys...

I jacked up my truck from the frame right at my back door. My Craftsman 4 ton jack was barely tall enough to get my rear wheel off the ground. 19 13/16" max height. A 3 ton jack is shorter.

Where do you jack up your truck at? I almost wish I had a 5 ton jack.
I have the HF 3 or 3.5 ton. Not those cheap skimpy aluminum models, heavy steel construction. I jack it up in the center under the axle front and back. Then with 4 6 ton stands, I set one at each corner. Caution should be taken as it isn't recommended jacking under the differential if your weren't blessed with some common sense. Quite a few aren't or refrain from using that part of the brain; - reason for the recommendation.

The 6T stands go plenty high. That's why I purchased them. At times I've incorporated either a 4x4 block or 6x6 block to crank it up that much higher, -adjusting stands as I go.

Old 04-21-2013, 11:32 PM

See what I mean?

Old 04-22-2013, 11:08 AM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I jack it up on the rear axle on or near the leaf spring attach point. As mentioned, don't use the differential housing, as it wasn't designed for use as a jack point.

Old 04-22-2013, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by SoonerTruck
I jack it up on the rear axle on or near the leaf spring attach point. As mentioned, don't use the differential housing, as it wasn't designed for use as a jack point.
Right, only if you lack common sense. Yes they were designed to be jacked there with these trucks. There's know design issue about it lol. Do I really have to explain why they say that?

Old 04-22-2013, 03:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Have you made this thread? highly interested in reading it. Wondering if this may have caused the pre-mature housing leak I had last summer.

Originally Posted by SoonerTruck
The flat squared surface on the bottom of the differential really tricks young amateurs like myself into thinking it is a temporary usable point. I figured as often as the suspension travels and causes the driveshaft to shake and pull it would be nothing more than that.

Quick Reply: What floor jack to get??