2004 - 2008 F-150

What floor jack to get??

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013 | 03:22 PM
Originally Posted by jbrew
Right, only if you lack common sense. Yes they were designed to be jacked there with these trucks. There's know design issue about it lol. Do I really have to explain why they say that?
I think you need to check the language I used, friend. I said it wasn't DESIGNED to be used as a jack point. I can't think of a reason that an engineer would be asked to design a rear-differential, then have to factor in outside load tolerances for jacking the vehicle up using it. Just because the rear differential will likely withstand being used as a jack point doesn't mean it was designed to do so, or that it is smart to use it as such. We all understand the safety factor of having a truck balanced in the middle of the vehicle, which is the primary reason Ford wouldn't specify it as a jack point.

Old 04-22-2013 | 05:06 PM
Technical Article Contributor
Originally Posted by SoonerTruck
I think you need to check the language I used, friend. I said it wasn't DESIGNED to be used as a jack point. I can't think of a reason that an engineer would be asked to design a rear-differential, then have to factor in outside load tolerances for jacking the vehicle up using it. Just because the rear differential will likely withstand being used as a jack point doesn't mean it was designed to do so, or that it is smart to use it as such. We all understand the safety factor of having a truck balanced in the middle of the vehicle, which is the primary reason Ford wouldn't specify it as a jack point.
That's alright, you should keep jacking her up the way you have been. You've already fabricated a story that works for you, - might as well go with it. I mean, you not hurting anything doing so.

Old 04-22-2013 | 07:18 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by DarrenWS6
Where do you guys jack the rear end at now with a service jack?
I jack the left, set a stand, then jack the right, and set a stand, or maybe I do it the other way around ..... or use two jacks at once even .... but still add stands before putting life or limb in jeopardy.

No way do I jack a solid rear axle by the center with the vehicle weight residing out at the ends of the axle tubes. Those tubes are pressed in and a couple big spot welds hold them in but jacking the pumpkin and those tubes acting like long levers now .... nope, not mine.

No meaning to it, it's just that I like the shark.

Old 04-22-2013 | 08:26 PM
Originally Posted by tbear853
No way do I jack a solid rear axle by the center with the vehicle weight residing out at the ends of the axle tubes. Those tubes are pressed in and a couple big spot welds hold them in but jacking the pumpkin and those tubes acting like long levers now .
Wow , Some imagination lol.

Old 04-22-2013 | 08:36 PM
Anyway, that HF all steel jack is a good one. Not sure what color they are now, but they were Orange. They use to sell a 2.5 ton at a good price, but the steel wheels can break. The 3 ton and up has much heavier wheels. So pay attention to the front jack wheels when purchasing a jack as they may be a hint the quality of. They sell a good 9T air jack as well, well , they use to anyway. I don't purchase all that much from Harbor Freight, but some of there stuff is alright. I like their floor jacks anyway.

Old 04-22-2013 | 08:39 PM
That's alright, you should keep jacking her up the way you have been. You've already fabricated a story that works for you, - might as well go with it. I mean, you not hurting anything doing so.
There's no story to fabricate, that's just common sense talking. The onus would be on you to provide proof that it was engineered to withstand the forces of being used as a jack point. Until then, your assumption that it can be used as such, without fear of damage to any of the associated components, is pure conjecture.

Old 04-22-2013 | 09:07 PM
Originally Posted by SoonerTruck
There's no story to fabricate, that's just common sense talking. The onus would be on you to provide proof that it was engineered to withstand the forces of being used as a jack point. Until then, your assumption that it can be used as such, without fear of damage to any of the associated components, is pure conjecture.
Like I said, - it's not difficult to understand, -

That's alright, you should keep jacking her up the way you have been.
Nothing wrong with that, but there's definitely nothing wrong with the other way as well. Your just wus who's afraid to learn that your way isn't always the best way.

I can't believe some of the stories I'm hearing about why you shouldn't jack there lol. Thing is, know one really knows, so far anyway. And no one cares to. That's alright , I leave it here then.

Old 04-24-2013 | 01:20 AM
Like I said, - it's not difficult to understand, -

Nothing wrong with that, but there's definitely nothing wrong with the other way as well. Your just wus who's afraid to learn that your way isn't always the best way.

I can't believe some of the stories I'm hearing about why you shouldn't jack there lol. Thing is, know one really knows, so far anyway. And no one cares to. That's alright , I leave it here then.
So, a harbor freight high quality jack used under the rear axle NEAR the leaf springs is a safe bet?

Old 04-24-2013 | 03:03 PM
Originally Posted by domsf150
So, a harbor freight high quality jack used under the rear axle NEAR the leaf springs is a safe bet?
It a good, heavy as hell, sturdy jack. You can call it high quality if you want, but you can do much better for 5 times the money. Like Hein Werner, American Forge (AFF), BP Ranger. If you have some mad money, -try a AC hydraulic. - I like their little 25T air jack , - http://www.ac-hydraulic.dk/en/produc...c-jacks/b25-2/

You can jack where ever you want to with common sense. In-fact, you can jack directly under the leaf springs w/the right adapter/pad.

Compac has some nice floor jacks, IF 4000 lbs is enough -

Old 04-24-2013 | 03:34 PM
Originally Posted by Invenstory
I use a 4 ton Craftsman bottle jack, and I never use the pumpkin because the engineers at FOMOCO told me not to. I may just start a thread on trans issues due to using the rear diff as a jack point. HMMMMMM...
Yea, my manual says never to do it and I don't intend to. I forget what size jack I have. It came in a kit @ autozone with jack stands and a creeper. Only time I ever take the tires off is when I am @ my brothers for muddin. We use his old big floor jack so I can swap my mud set on.

Old 04-24-2013 | 07:00 PM
Originally Posted by dewalt17
Yea, my manual says never to do it and I don't intend to.
That's a good boy.

Old 06-02-2013 | 04:59 PM
i use a 2 1/2 ton floor jack. its a low profile one from craftsman. its the best i have ever got so far.

Old 06-03-2013 | 09:58 PM
Have you made this thread? highly interested in reading it. Wondering if this may have caused the pre-mature housing leak I had last summer.

Have not-that comment was made with tongue firmly planted in cheek.

Last edited by Invenstory; 06-03-2013 at 10:00 PM.
Old 07-14-2013 | 12:40 AM
Get a Hein-Werner. They are still made in the USA. If you don't want to pay for a new one, you can find vintage ones really cheap on Craigslist or E-bay for $50. I have one from my Grandfather; its over 40 years old. Buy once!

My other recommendations-

Hand Tools: Snap-On / Wright
Tool Box: Snap-On
Power Tools: Milwaukee / Bosch
Cordless Tools: Milwaukee
Woodworking Tools: Festool / Fein
Table Saw: Powermatic or older Delta (Cabinet Saw) / Bosch (Contractor Saw)
Truck Box: Weatherguard
Tractor: John Deere
Skid Loader: Gehl
Welder: Miller
Chainsaw: Sthil
Boots: Red Wing
Rifle: Remington / Browning
Shotgun: Remington / Winchester
Pistol: Sig Sauer
Revolver: Colt / S&W
Bow: Mathews
Knife: Benchmade
ATV: Honda
Outboard: Mercury
Cheap Beer: Miller Lite / MGD
Quality Beer: Too Many – Can’t Decide
Cigarettes: I don't smoke, but I prefer Camel Menthols if I have to inhale 2nd hand!

Old 07-15-2013 | 12:51 AM
Originally Posted by tbear853
No way do I jack a solid rear axle by the center with the vehicle weight residing out at the ends of the axle tubes. Those tubes are pressed in and a couple big spot welds hold them in but jacking the pumpkin and those tubes acting like long levers now .... nope, not mine.

No meaning to it, it's just that I like the shark.

Wow , Some imagination lol.
Imagination? How so?

Quick Reply: What floor jack to get??