2004 - 2008 F-150

Spark Plug Change Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 10:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by glc
Yes, PULL the plugs. If there was something in the cylinder when you fired it up, it can beat up the plug tip. You also could have damaged a valve. If any of the plugs are damaged, I'd recommend you go rent a borescope before you put new plugs back in.

You DID use high temp nickel antiseize on the ground sleeves of the new plugs but NOT on the electrode strap and NOT on the threads, right?
You know, I did not use the nickel antiseize. I will be pulling them and checking them all tomorrow after work. I'm thinking that might be the problem and I think our torque wrench might be bad. We set it at 25 ft lbs and it seemed way to easy. I will make sure to get them tighter.

As for the antiseize, what part is the ground sleeve? Is that the part below the threads? Like what gets stuck in the cylinder that the Lisle tool pulls out? Put it on that? Sorry for all the questions but I really do appreciate all of your guys help. Hopefully I can get this figured out. Thank you.

Old 07-08-2013, 12:18 AM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
Yes, the ground sleeve is what is between the threads and the tip. You MUST use HIGH TEMP nickel antiseize on it, or you will break the new plugs too.

I'm really surprised you didn't know that, having read A LOT of threads on changing 5.4 3v plugs, hmm?

25 ft/lb is correct.

Old 07-08-2013, 08:38 AM
Yes I did know to use anti seize, in fact u had it in the garage. I missed that step after trying to figure out what part of the plug to put it on. It can get very confusing with so many people saying so many different things. I know 25 ft lbs is right I just think that my father's torque wrench is bad and it didn't actually torque them to 25. He did get it ridiculously cheap at a garage sale.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:55 AM
So I finally got the truck running good. It ended up being two bad spark plugs. Found the missing cylinder by disconecting the coil wire on each plug with the truck running. Found one missing cylinder. Swaped that plug with the plug in cylinder one and the problem moved to that cylinder. Did the same thing on cylinder 8. Put new plugs in both cylinders and all is good. Thank you for all the help, much appreciated.

Quick Reply: Spark Plug Change Help