2004 - 2008 F-150

MPG with Airaid MIT

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2014 | 06:40 PM
Originally Posted by VAmountainman
I drive like an old man. Wait.... I AM an old man! Not looking for a racer, looking for reliability and MPG. I have read posts on other sites that seem to support my findings. They all seem to say that it starts out worse, and eventually beats the stock intake for MPG, once the PCM learns the new air flow.

I will fill up again in a few days, and posts the MPGs.

Thanks for the input.
Hey, fellow Old Fart

^^^ See, thet thar's th' thang - thur ain't nuffin fer th' ol' 'puter ta cipher.

But - if it be a'wurkin' fer yall, ah's raht heppy fer ye

MGD

Old 01-24-2014 | 07:21 PM
Truck of the Month
I figure these things aren't hurting MPG, so if someone thinks they're getting a bit more, good for them!

Old 01-25-2014 | 04:15 AM
|
Originally Posted by MGDfan
Hey, fellow Old Fart

^^^ See, thet thar's th' thang - thur ain't nuffin fer th' ol' 'puter ta cipher.

But - if it be a'wurkin' fer yall, ah's raht heppy fer ye

MGD
That's MISTER Fart to yew!

Old 01-25-2014 | 08:54 PM
Originally Posted by dbhost
Never even knew there was another aftermarket tube setup to use the stock airbox on these trucks. That TrueFlow looks great with those red pieces on that red truck!
Thanks, I think so too. It included a red foam filter element (but I use a stock type paper element usually) and a new end that's larger that goes into fender inner. The round tube is a heavy wall aluminum and bracket with rubber bushing where it attaches to same location as stocker did. I was just glad the previous owner installed it along with LoProQT cover and cat back exhaust!

I think maybe it's no longer made, though a few can be found still. True Flow #20502

Old 01-26-2014 | 01:19 AM
Technical Article Contributor
Truck of the Month
Originally Posted by glc
I'm going to give you my opinion on so-called "CAI's" from another aspect.

1. Unless the airbox is sealed with an external inlet, it's actually a WARM air intake. This will actually cause a LOSS in power.

2. The frequently used oiled filter elements do NOT filter as well as a dry paper or nano filter, and also can foul the MAF.

3. Especially on 04+ engines, the MAF relocation can cause you to run excessively lean.

So - for my money (or lack of), the Gotts with an Amsoil filter is the way to go in my opinion. It's cheap, it works, but it just doesn't look or sound cool.
x2, stock enclosed box with Amsoil filter is fine for me.I might buy the Airaid tube to 'beautify' the engine bay later on, but I never have the hood open enough to care about how the intake looks. If it sounds more aggressive that might be a plus to enjoy the truck more.

Old 01-26-2014 | 08:51 AM
Originally Posted by tbear853
Thanks, I think so too. It included a red foam filter element (but I use a stock type paper element usually) and a new end that's larger that goes into fender inner. The round tube is a heavy wall aluminum and bracket with rubber bushing where it attaches to same location as stocker did. I was just glad the previous owner installed it along with LoProQT cover and cat back exhaust!

I think maybe it's no longer made, though a few can be found still. True Flow #20502

Yep.

They be outta bidness.

And - they were the ONLY CAI/WAI manufacturer that stated on their website - with graphical evidence ( they flow-tested several units including their own ) - that none of them gained any power.

Their honesty was refreshing after all the Marketing BS bombardment from elsewhere.

Too bad they are history.

MGD

They based their product on providing excellent filtration - and looks.

Old 01-28-2014 | 10:51 PM
Originally Posted by MGDfan
Yep.

They be outta bidness.

And - they were the ONLY CAI/WAI manufacturer that stated on their website - with graphical evidence ( they flow-tested several units including their own ) - that none of them gained any power.

Their honesty was refreshing after all the Marketing BS bombardment from elsewhere.

Too bad they are history.

MGD

They based their product on providing excellent filtration - and looks.
Yeah, funny you say that. The stock air box/intake tube setup I got off ebay off a wreck had a new looking K&N foam filter in it and comparing it to the red foam True Flow filter, I believe the True Flow has a more dense foam.

I never did any times runs but I always figured if there was free HP hidden in a intake tube, FoMoCo would have found it .... I just like the looks and in comparison, noise isn't much more.

Last edited by tbear853; 01-28-2014 at 10:56 PM.
Old 01-29-2014 | 09:13 AM
Truck of the Month
To me. My Airaid doesn't sound and different (agrresive) as Darren was hoping unfortunately. Unless I don't hear it over my exhaust and stereo which is possible but also very doubtful.

Quick Reply: MPG with Airaid MIT