2004 - 2008 F-150

08 4.6 engine stand bolts

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2019 | 05:27 PM
|
Cool 08 4.6 engine stand bolts

Hey everyone. I just bought an 08 f150 quad cab with a 4.6 4X4 with a blown motor. I bought the new motor and doing the swap this weekend. (changing starter, water pump, valve cover gaskets, intake manifold gaskets, alternator....auto zone).

I tried searching the forum and could not find the bolts that would best work for mounting the engine in an engine stand. I know everyone is saying to use the transmission bolts for the lower end, but what are the dimensions? I ask as I would like to go to the hardware store and purchase longer ones.

Also, since the engine stand has the 4 adjustable L arms, what do you recommend the 2 on the top and 2 on the bottom point to?

Thanks
Ken

Old 08-22-2019 | 06:00 PM
Originally Posted by shadykat
Hey everyone. I just bought an 08 f150 quad cab with a 4.6 4X4 with a blown motor. I bought the new motor and doing the swap this weekend. (changing starter, water pump, valve cover gaskets, intake manifold gaskets, alternator....auto zone).

I tried searching the forum and could not find the bolts that would best work for mounting the engine in an engine stand. I know everyone is saying to use the transmission bolts for the lower end, but what are the dimensions? I ask as I would like to go to the hardware store and purchase longer ones.

Also, since the engine stand has the 4 adjustable L arms, what do you recommend the 2 on the top and 2 on the bottom point to?

Thanks
Ken
Can't speak to the 4.6L as far as bolt sizes, but just make sure you get Grade 8 bolts and some large washers as well if needed. It's a lot of weight (500lbs+) to be hanging a fully-dressed engine off of the engine stand on just 4 bolts. I used to keep the engine hoist attached to the intake or the rear heads to take a bit of the stress off when just sitting around not working on it.

The following users liked this post:
Old 08-23-2019 | 10:35 AM
|
Thanks. I grabbed a bunch of different bolts from the hardware store and found the ones to fit the transmission threads to be a 10mm 1.5 pitch bolt. I'll measure it tonight as soon as we finish the engine on the stand.

Also, on the head of the bolts is printed: 01VK 10.9

Old 08-23-2019 | 10:49 AM
|
Originally Posted by shadykat
Thanks. I grabbed a bunch of different bolts from the hardware store and found the ones to fit the transmission threads to be a 10mm 1.5 pitch bolt. I'll measure it tonight as soon as we finish the engine on the stand.

Also, on the head of the bolts is printed: 01VK 10.9

Quick Reply: 08 4.6 engine stand bolts