2004 - 2008 F-150

Torque converter stuck to engine

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2021 | 01:19 PM
|
Torque converter stuck to engine

Ok, so I took the 4 nuts off the torque converter that holds it to the flywheel and when I pulled the Tranny, the torque converter stayed in place. After cleaning the giant mess that ensued….. I used a giant crowbar, tapped/whacked it with a hammer, even attached a come along to the back axle to try and get this thing off and it just won’t come.

has anyone ever had this problem? Can’t seem to find anything on the almighty interweb where others have had this problem….. need to get it off to replace a broken flywheel.

pictures shows the come along trying to pull the torque converter off, has a substantial amount of pressure on it

let me say again….. yes I have all 4 nuts confirmed removed from the TC threaded studs, I promise, that’s not what’s doing this

Old 07-17-2021 | 01:45 PM
Technical Article Contributor
It doesn't look like it's coming off square off the shaft... hard to tell in the picture, but that's what it appears to me.

Either that, or it didn't go on correctly when being put back on and it's wedged on the shaft.

Good luck...

Old 07-20-2021 | 12:12 AM
Never seen one stick like that, has to be the snout stuck in the crank shaft end hole. Those straps are a little "elastic", I'd probably set up a "catch" platform well padded and up close under it and leave the hoist pulling tight over night. Are the 4 studs tight fit in the holes of the flexplate? Maybey use what room there is to pry between the hole edge and stud to slightly rotate them with puller pulling, maybe use some "un-stickum" spray up between the TC and flex plate while you are at it?

Old 04-03-2022 | 01:49 PM
I wonder what the issue was, guess we'll never know?

Old 04-12-2022 | 08:59 PM
I will tell you mine came out with the transmission. The only cussing parts I had were the top bolts and the tranny dip stick tube bolt that's behind the passenger exhaust manifold. Good luck and post if you get it figured out. I'm interested. Just realized he posted this Jul of last year.

Last edited by jmfox3; 04-13-2022 at 07:13 PM. Reason: Date
The following users liked this post:
Old 05-18-2024 | 06:57 AM
Torque converter

Having same issue, never in 40 years have I encountered this but will try again this morning to get it off

Old 07-18-2024 | 12:16 PM
Originally Posted by Brian2024
Having same issue, never in 40 years have I encountered this but will try again this morning to get it off
I'm having the same issue, I've cut the bolts off the torque converter. Beat it with 5lb sledge for an hour. This is cruel joke, ive done so many transmission jobs on ford never have i seen such a defiance of common sense.

Did you ever figure it out on your end?

Old Today | 12:36 PM
A complete nightmare

A complete nightmare. After several hours (a little over 3) the torque converter came off. It took two of us. We cut the studs on the torque converter, one held the crank pulley bolt, and the other used a pipe wrench on the torque converter to spin it. The torque converter was shoved all the way in the crank and spinning it was a very slow process but it worked after trying anything we could think of.

Quick Reply: Torque converter stuck to engine