2004 - 2008 F-150

04 5.4 3v Randomly loosing fuel pressure or power to fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2024, 08:59 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did anther test drive this morning with the fpdm still bypassed. No issues
Checked codes. Only 2 codes. Both related to the excessive fuel pressure. No check engine light on.

I have ordered Genuine OEM fpdm to arrive Wed.
If issue returns after the new install I will reply. Thats me still being skeptical. LOL

Thank you both for your input.

Old 08-18-2024, 10:39 AM
Received 109 Likes on 102 Posts
If issue returns after the new install I will reply. Thats me still being skeptical. LOL
That's appropriate!

Let us know either way for the benefit of future owners.

The following users liked this post:
Old 08-18-2024, 06:16 PM
Will do!
Spent the afternoon taking the fuse panel back out to fix my mistake from when I removed it earlier in the week. The little removable couplers that go on some of spades so the 2 parts of the circuit boards can be separated. Turns out there is a right and wrong way to put them back on. I had one out of place. The relay for the hvac blower motor was not able to make contact with one of the spades. As predicted this was on me. Glad it was somewhat an easy fix. I'm nearly an expert at removal and disassembly of the fuse box now!
Also located and repaired short in the turn signal circuit. To my knowledge I have all functions full operational now/again.
Calling it a good day!

Old 08-20-2024, 11:09 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Reflecting on your OEM decision, reminds me of both the countless times someone on this forum has found out the hard way that non-OEM parts often fail, and a recent experience repairing a refrigerator. In the latter case cheap parts were initially used only to have to repeat the job within a year. Again, cheap parts were used, and again they went bad. This time OEM parts were used. Lesson learned: cheap parts fail much sooner than original OEM parts. Now just buying OEM parts, regardless of sizable price difference.

Old 08-23-2024, 07:20 AM
OEM FPDM arrived yesterday.
I would like to add that my choices previously regarding choice of FPDM were not dollar driven. They were of convenience and time. The Dorman driver is in stock at local O'Reilly's. 2 miles from my house. Original owner lifetime warranty. Wish i could remember where i got the first one from 3yrs ago so I could hound them for replacement or refund. Anyway easy quick choice to try it. Obviously didn't work. Still baffled about that.
Dorman was $128
OEM was $133.30 shipped to my door.
Basically they cost about the same. Yes I would agree to get OEM (especially electronics) if both of them were setting in front of me.

Plugged in the new OEM FPDM. Reconnected battery cables that I pulled off while truck sat. Started right up and holding proper pressure (38-40psi) at idle. Ran inside and swapped cloths giving the truck 5min of idle time. Went for drive that included picking the kids up from school. 28min in total run time. No issues. Im happy to be eating crow with the OEM module working perfectly. Still skeptical but hopeful the success is long term.
It will take more then one drive to get my confidence back in the vehicle.
I will use the truck all weekend before stamping it "fixed".

Thanks to everyone that commented.

Old 08-24-2024, 01:39 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Feels so good when you fix something like this!
Thanks for letting us know.

Old 08-26-2024, 06:36 AM
It does!
Several more test drives over the weekend with no issues confirms..
Repair is complete.

The following users liked this post:

Quick Reply: 04 5.4 3v Randomly loosing fuel pressure or power to fuel pump