2004 - 2008 F-150

2008 F150 Lariat 4x4 Opinions and Advice Requested

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2024, 01:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 F150 Lariat 4x4 Opinions and Advice Requested

I'm a newbie here. This is my first post. The above truck is for sale regionally by a private individual for $4500. It's the Super Crew Cab model with 5.4 liter Triton and AT and has 188k miles. The current owner says it's in very good condition and runs great. Any opinions on this model/drivetrain with this much mileage? Also what might I look for as far as likely trouble spots/issues. I've been a Toyota Tacoma guy for the last 20 years and never owned a Ford truck. My current 2004 Tacoma 4x4 is a worn out and well abused rat and I'm ready to move on from it. Thanks in advance for any guidance you can give before I make the trip to check it out.

Old 08-25-2024, 09:34 PM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
You may want to have $2000 available for doing a full timing job down the road. That's the only weak link in the 5.4 3 valve with the variable cam timing system. If it's quiet and smooth you have a ways to go before this happens. Keep the oil changed, that will help. Also, most 08's except for later production have issues when changing spark plugs, they stick in the heads and can break off. The heads were redesigned in 08 to eliminate this issue. There are tools available for removing the stuck and broken plugs without pulling the heads.

Old 08-26-2024, 11:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by glc
You may want to have $2000 available for doing a full timing job down the road. That's the only weak link in the 5.4 3 valve with the variable cam timing system. If it's quiet and smooth you have a ways to go before this happens. Keep the oil changed, that will help. Also, most 08's except for later production have issues when changing spark plugs, they stick in the heads and can break off. The heads were redesigned in 08 to eliminate this issue. There are tools available for removing the stuck and broken plugs without pulling the heads.
Thanks. That's great info.

Quick Reply: 2008 F150 Lariat 4x4 Opinions and Advice Requested