2009 - 2014 F-150

XL vs FX4

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 04:07 AM
Suspended
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
XL vs FX4

I am new to the forum but not new to Ford trucks. What is the difference between a 2010 XL 4X4 SuperCrew VS FX4 SuperCrew? With comparable options, power windows, doors, it is a $28,000 difference. I have to ask what am I getting besides some offroad stickers, sync - do not want this anyway, carpet - do not want this so i deleted it from the build, locker - dont need when I already have 4x4 and I put sand bags in the bed, the ability to get the 5.4 but I can get a 4.6 and get better mileage.

The FX4 stickers I can install on my own for less than the 28Gs I would spend at the dealer. My friend says it is a ripoff when I can get the stickers for about twenty bucks and then have room left over for a new house.

Do you have any opinions?

Old 11-12-2009, 04:37 AM
the 4.6s gas mileage isnt that much better than the 5.4s. the 46 has to work harder to move your 4x4 4 door truck.
i'm with ya on the vinyl floors though! i hate my carpet.
whats wrong with an XLT?

Old 11-12-2009, 07:42 AM
$28K ??? Not sure how you could get an FX4 for $28k more than an XL. That would put the FX4 price around $60k when most FX4 Screws reasonably optioned will be around $40k. I could see a ~$4-6k difference but not $28k. If you compare the two, you'll see where the difference in cost is at. I looked very closely at just an XL vs. XLT and the cost difference was so close when optioned the same it just worth the few dollars of savings to get the XL. There's another thread on here about that compaison too.

Old 11-12-2009, 08:20 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You are severely misinformed. Use Ford's comparison tool to start. Then use Ford build tool to compare pricing with whatever equipment you care about. The difference in less than $5k MSRP for the respective models with no additional options. That's about $4k sales price difference.

Not everyone wants an FX4, or is willing to pay for it. But there are plenty of people who do. This is why Ford offers so many trim levels and options, to make as many people happy.

Old 11-12-2009, 08:24 AM
also, there is a big difference between putting sand bags in a 4x4 and having a locker in an FX4!

Old 11-12-2009, 10:17 AM
Lots of differences, looks on the trim pieces, locker, interior, console, skid plates, etc.

No comparison of a XL to FX4 IMO.

Old 11-12-2009, 10:52 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
At least get the LSD.

Old 11-12-2009, 03:21 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by alex7191
the 4.6s gas mileage isnt that much better than the 5.4s. the 46 has to work harder to move your 4x4 4 door truck.
i'm with ya on the vinyl floors though! i hate my carpet.
whats wrong with an XLT?
I hear you too brother. Vinyl floors are so much more comfortable than carpet. The like the XLT but it is like $10,000 more for the same truck comparably equipped.

Originally Posted by sgable
$28K ??? Not sure how you could get an FX4 for $28k more than an XL. That would put the FX4 price around $60k when most FX4 Screws reasonably optioned will be around $40k. I could see a ~$4-6k difference but not $28k. If you compare the two, you'll see where the difference in cost is at. I looked very closely at just an XL vs. XLT and the cost difference was so close when optioned the same it just worth the few dollars of savings to get the XL. There's another thread on here about that compaison too.
The FX4 was like $40-$44k. The XL Screw loaded was like $30k and they will take $14k off from it. I'm sorry that is $26k. I looked at the two and they were basically the same except for the offroad stick and some trim pieces I can get cheaper than at the dealer. Thanks.

Originally Posted by APT
You are severely misinformed. Use Ford's comparison tool to start. Then use Ford build tool to compare pricing with whatever equipment you care about. The difference in less than $5k MSRP for the respective models with no additional options. That's about $4k sales price difference.

Not everyone wants an FX4, or is willing to pay for it. But there are plenty of people who do. This is why Ford offers so many trim levels and options, to make as many people happy.
Go to build dealer and it is like $40k for the FX4. The XL is like $29k and they will take $15k off. They offer so many trim levels because they want to charge more for stuff we do not need or only will use once.

Originally Posted by munro200
also, there is a big difference between putting sand bags in a 4x4 and having a locker in an FX4!
My 02 road fine. I dont know what your problem is.

Originally Posted by yetti96
Lots of differences, looks on the trim pieces, locker, interior, console, skid plates, etc.

No comparison of a XL to FX4 IMO.
I can get skid plates on the XL for $50. Trim pieces can be bought for less than at the dealer. My friend picked up a console for $100 from eBay. I dont need the locker with 4x4 and some sandbags. Thank you.

Originally Posted by APT
At least get the LSD.
I will and can get LSD on a XL for $300. Thanks.

Old 11-12-2009, 03:28 PM
Suspended
I am going back to look at some Platinum Lariat screws with my friend and go back to test drive it with the XL. Hopefully we will find some more differences. Do you know any thing I should be looking for on the Platinum Lariat? I will let you guys know what I find out.

Last edited by RedRobin51; 11-12-2009 at 03:32 PM.
Old 11-12-2009, 04:36 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RedRobin51
The FX4 was like $40-$44k. The XL Screw loaded was like $30k and they will take $14k off from it. I'm sorry that is $26k. I looked at the two and they were basically the same except for the offroad stick and some trim pieces I can get cheaper than at the dealer. Thanks.
No need to be a smartass, you're not sorry and I doubt you're really offering any 'thanks'. Your logic for comparing prices is flawed. You can't count the 14K the dealer is willing to knock off the price (which would be a great deal, I'm kinda thinking BS here) in the difference of the price. Right now Ford is offering $3500 cash back (on either an XL or FX4), not $14,000.

Originally Posted by RedRobin51
Go to build dealer and it is like $40k for the FX4. The XL is like $29k and they will take $15k off. They offer so many trim levels because they want to charge more for stuff we do not need or only will use once.
Again there you go with the "$15,000 off" thing again, not sure who told you that. If you can really get a truck at over 50% off the list price, you best jump on it.

I just priced a "loaded" SCab XL (meaning everything the FX4 has standard) and it came to $32.5K.

A base model SCab FX4 is $36K That's a difference of ~$3,500, not $26,000. It's been a while since you've taken a math class hasn't it?

Now about the differences, mechanically there are few. When talking comfort and luxury, the two couldn't be further apart. Dual temp control, sun/moonroof, powered captains chairs with the flow thru center shifter, power rear window, power everything, adjustable pedals, heated/cooled seats, etc. However from reading your posts it's obvious that you are simply a cheap person and you do not value luxury or comfort. That's fine, nothing wrong with that. In your case I suggest jumping on the "$15,000 off" deal and get the XL, and you can sit back and think about how great you are and how we're all a bunch of suckers for spending so much on our trucks.

- NCSU

Last edited by NCSU_05_FX4; 11-12-2009 at 05:11 PM.
Old 11-12-2009, 05:17 PM
Interesting thread

Old 11-12-2009, 05:32 PM
Buddy, one thing i've learned is you can't come in here thinking that your Hot Cow Exhaust or you get shut down very quickly. Open your mind to learning a little from the people with over 2000 posts *cough* NCSU *cough*.

Old 11-12-2009, 05:43 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by NCSU_05_FX4
No need to be a smartass, you're not sorry and I doubt you're really offering any 'thanks'. Your logic for comparing prices is flawed. You can't count the 14K the dealer is willing to knock off the price (which would be a great deal, I'm kinda thinking BS here) in the difference of the price. Right now Ford is offering $3500 cash back (on either an XL or FX4), not $14,000.

Now about the differences, mechanically there are few. When talking comfort and luxury, the two couldn't be further apart. Dual temp control, sun/moonroof, powered captains chairs with the flow thru center shifter, power rear window, power everything, adjustable pedals, heated/cooled seats, etc. However from reading your posts it's obvious that you are simply a cheap person and you do not value luxury or comfort. That's fine, nothing wrong with that. In your case I suggest jumping on the "$15,000 off" deal and get the XL, and you can sit back and think about how great you are and how we're all a bunch of suckers for spending so much on our trucks.

- NCSU
I am not trying to be a smartazz but I can make a XL just as comfortable and nice as a FX4 for a couple hundred dollars. I have seen it done. The console shifter makes you reach down to shift and it takes up more room. When the shifter is on the steering wheel it means I do not have to reach as far and hurt my back. It is more comfortable this way, and I can take another person with me if I want to without the console shifter taking up a seat.

Would you want better gas mileage or heated seats? I will take the better gas mileage. The 4.6 does everything for my needs. Moon roofs are not important to me. I want a truck! I do not need adjustable pedals. I am not short and can reach the pedals just fine. Thanks. The outside is just some FX4 stickers. If I get the XL the FX4 stickers are going on. I do not need flare trims but I can get the pieces on eBay for $100. The FX4 supercrew at the dealer is like $40K+. The XL is like $28 k loaded with power everything. And we can deal like 10k off. I am going to go back and look at the Platinum Lariat they have and test drive it with the XL. I will let you know what I find. Here is to hoping to find some more differences. I know I do not have a lot of posts but I want to thank you for your posts.

GreenBuck50, Thanks for your advice and support. I have been reading and learning quite a bit from your posts.

Last edited by RedRobin51; 11-12-2009 at 05:53 PM.
Old 11-12-2009, 06:44 PM
Dude, if you are going to log onto a forum and ask for differences in different truck trim levels, don't get your drawers all wadded up and argue that there are no differences.

To me, if you can get 10k off a 28k truck, that's 36%. You should be able to get 36% off any truck on the same stealership lot. Thus, you need to compare sticker to sticker, or sticker minus discount to sticker to minus discount. You cannot compare MSRP to MSRP less discount.

If they won't give the same percentage discount on two different trucks, it's simply because there is a higher demand for the more "optioned" trucks and you should walk away until someone will match the discount as a PERCENTAGE of the sticker.

The nicer cloth or leather interior on an FX4, the dual climate controls, the heated seats, the rear window defrost/power rear window, the off road shocks, the "fancy" rims/tires, the appearance package, fog lights, center console, rear AC vents, floor shifter, etc., are all worth the $3k - $5k difference in a base FX4 and an loaded XL. You will be hard pressed to add after market parts equivalent to all the options an FX4 has for the price difference.

My 43k sticker FX4 is fully loaded minus a sunroof, back up camera, and tailgate step. It's got leather, carpet, and umpteen hundred features that a XL doesn't have. That's not to say an XL isn't a great truck functionally. Functionally, there is little difference... but creature comforts and appearance between the two are completely night and day. Still 43k sticker - 28k sticker is a 15k difference, not 28k. Assuming you can truly get 36% off sticker, that means you should pay 27k for a truck similar to mine, and 18k for a "fully loaded" XL. That means the actual price difference should actually be 9k. Still considerable... and for some (smarter than me) people, sticking to a budget that gets them what they need instead of what they want is a no brainer.

Old 11-12-2009, 08:17 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by johnyb777
Dude, if you are going to log onto a forum and ask for differences in different truck trim levels, don't get your drawers all wadded up and argue that there are no differences.

The nicer cloth or leather interior on an FX4, the dual climate controls, the heated seats, the rear window defrost/power rear window, the off road shocks, the "fancy" rims/tires, the appearance package, fog lights, center console, rear AC vents, floor shifter, etc., are all worth the $3k - $5k difference in a base FX4 and an loaded XL. You will be hard pressed to add after market parts equivalent to all the options an FX4 has for the price difference.

My 43k sticker FX4 is fully loaded minus a sunroof, back up camera, and tailgate step. It's got leather, carpet, and umpteen hundred features that a XL doesn't have. That's not to say an XL isn't a great truck functionally. Functionally, there is little difference... but creature comforts and appearance between the two are completely night and day. Still 43k sticker - 28k sticker is a 15k difference, not 28k. Assuming you can truly get 36% off sticker, that means you should pay 27k for a truck similar to mine, and 18k for a "fully loaded" XL. That means the actual price difference should actually be 9k.
Dude, Most of that stuff you can live without for the right price at the dealer. My friend said I can get about 10k off for about 30% off at the dealer.

Why do I need dual climate if I am the only one driving? XL has the fog lights and power everything. Appearance package? It has the same grille as the FX4 and I can just paint the front end cheaply. The loaded XL has chrome bumpers and fogs and the FX4 has painted bumpers that will have dozens of chips on them after a few miles. Chrome or go home. I already told you about the floor shifter. The steering wheel shifter is more comfortable and I can carry more people.

Offroad shocks? I heard they were the same or only a little bit different. Leather and carpet that the XL doesnt have? The XL has carpet if you want it. It is only $100 option. If I want leather I can add it a lot cheaper than at the dealer like a lot of people do. Leather looks great at the start but after a year it starts to look like crap. The XL interior will hold up better in the long run.

Hundreds of creature features? Well where are they? The only thing left is the FX4 stickers. $9000 for offroad stickers? I can just slap the stickers on a XL and have $9Gs in my pocket. I just do not see why I should spend $5k more for basically the same truck with an overpriced moonroof and power seats I do not need or can get cheaper than at the dealer. For $9G's I will move my own seat. Thank you very much. $5k, $9k, $20k more? It just does not add up. What am I missing? Thanks.

Last edited by RedRobin51; 11-12-2009 at 08:41 PM.

Quick Reply: XL vs FX4