2009 - 2014 F-150

Will K&N intake & flowmaster affect my warranty

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 11:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will K&N intake & flowmaster affect my warranty

This is a great web site by the way.

I have ordered, and not yet received a new Screw FX2. I wanted to install a new K&N intake and Flowmaster exhaust within the next year, and was wondering how these aftermarket parts would affect my warrenty coverage.

Also, will the trucks computer have to be adjusted or anything like that. Or can I just bolt them on and go? Thanx for your help!

Old 11-18-2009, 01:50 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Google the Moss-Magnuson act, it protects your right to modify your vehicle; and the dealers for unjustly voiding your warranty b/c of modifications. They have to prove beyond a reason of doubt that the modification caused the failure.

Also it depends on the dealer, some are mod friendly others will take you to the cleaners and leave you hanging (like my former dealer). I'd see what the dealer has to say, you can always try another dealer; assuming there are more close to you.

Exhaust will be fine, the CAI might cause a lean condition, it might not. My S&B says it can be run with no computer changes/chips/tuners just fine. I will say that custom tunes will definetely bring out the best in these modifications though *cough* PHP *cough* A tuner is another warranty issue though

Old 11-18-2009, 01:58 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Most dealers will tell you that an aftermarket intake will void the warranty for any engine failure. Some are more mod tolerant. The aftermarket exhaust from cat back should have no effect.

Old 11-18-2009, 03:29 PM
My dealer told me the Roush intake will not void the warranty.

Old 11-18-2009, 04:00 PM
If i am not mistaken, Roush is a partner with Ford. Since Ford sells their trucks and mustangs at the dealerships the dealerships typically honor the warranties with the roush parts.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:24 PM
Originally Posted by sgerry
If i am not mistaken, Roush is a partner with Ford. Since Ford sells their trucks and mustangs at the dealerships the dealerships typically honor the warranties with the roush parts.
This is true but alot of dealerships will only honor it if they did the install.

Old 11-19-2009, 01:40 AM
Well, thak you very much for the feedback. I will definately look into it furthur before any modifications are done.

Old 11-19-2009, 02:02 AM
Old 11-19-2009, 12:23 PM
Thanx statikuz. You did the research I guess I should have done. Great information.

Old 11-19-2009, 04:30 PM
Originally Posted by FX4life
Google the Moss-Magnuson act, it protects your right to modify your vehicle; and the dealers for unjustly voiding your warranty b/c of modifications. They have to prove beyond a reason of doubt that the modification caused the failure.

Also it depends on the dealer, some are mod friendly others will take you to the cleaners and leave you hanging (like my former dealer). I'd see what the dealer has to say, you can always try another dealer; assuming there are more close to you.

Exhaust will be fine, the CAI might cause a lean condition, it might not. My S&B says it can be run with no computer changes/chips/tuners just fine. I will say that custom tunes will definetely bring out the best in these modifications though *cough* PHP *cough* A tuner is another warranty issue though
That may be true, but it is not how it works in the real world. I used to work at a dealership, and saw warranty's get voided for all kinds of things...they were definitely not a mod friendly place, but that all depends on the service manager. A dealership can simply deny the warranty for whatever reason they want, and it is up to you to prove that your modification didn't cause the failure. Obviously, if you add an exhaust to your truck and the front bumper falls off...it is simple and clear. But when it comes to an engine problem of some sorts and you had an intake, exhaust or tuner...good luck getting ford to honor their warranty, which was provided to cover their parts how they come from the factory. If you want to take them to court, you are more then welcome...and you can definitely win, but what will that cost you in the long run? Especially while your mode of transportation is sitting in limbo while you are trying to get the warranty issues figured out in court, which can take months. Like I said, I saw it happen many times...and never once did I see somebody actually go to court and get the warranty reinstated. I saw some poor kid who had a chip on his mazda protege come to tears when they denied his warranty on his blown motor....the car only had 10k miles on it and was less than a year old, but he had to get a loan for the entire new engine because of that chip.

Old 11-19-2009, 04:40 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Langford
That may be true, but it is not how it works in the real world. I used to work at a dealership, and saw warranty's get voided for all kinds of things...they were definitely not a mod friendly place, but that all depends on the service manager. A dealership can simply deny the warranty for whatever reason they want, and it is up to you to prove that your modification didn't cause the failure. Obviously, if you add an exhaust to your truck and the front bumper falls off...it is simple and clear. But when it comes to an engine problem of some sorts and you had an intake, exhaust or tuner...good luck getting ford to honor their warranty, which was provided to cover their parts how they come from the factory. If you want to take them to court, you are more then welcome...and you can definitely win, but what will that cost you in the long run? Especially while your mode of transportation is sitting in limbo while you are trying to get the warranty issues figured out in court, which can take months. Like I said, I saw it happen many times...and never once did I see somebody actually go to court and get the warranty reinstated. I saw some poor kid who had a chip on his mazda protege come to tears when they denied his warranty on his blown motor....the car only had 10k miles on it and was less than a year old, but he had to get a loan for the entire new engine because of that chip.
Exactly! K&N can say all day long that it should not void the warranty, and it shouldn't. We can also throw the law in the mix alll we want to, but the real world is, they void the warranty every day for intakes, tuners, lifts, virtually anything they want to. Then you have to decide how hard and far you will fight it. Not many have the funds or time or extra vehicle to deal with it.

Old 11-19-2009, 05:16 PM
when i was moving from FL to IL, my truck broke down on the road, so I had to have it towed to a nearest dealership. I have an Airaid CAI on the truck so I was worried if they will cover the repair or not. It turned out that a fuel pump went bad and they had to replace the whole assembly. They didn't even say anything about intake and they covered it 100%... so I guess I got lucky, and my point is that it really depends on a dealer...

Old 11-19-2009, 07:34 PM
Originally Posted by Bluejay
Exactly! K&N can say all day long that it should not void the warranty, and it shouldn't. We can also throw the law in the mix alll we want to, but the real world is, they void the warranty every day for intakes, tuners, lifts, virtually anything they want to. Then you have to decide how hard and far you will fight it. Not many have the funds or time or extra vehicle to deal with it.
The intent of Moss-Magnuson is great, but like many such laws, you have to rely on the court system to get your relief if your dealership denies your claim. I was lucky with my old Dodge RAM - the dealer replaced the throttle body under the warranty for me even though I had a modified exhaust system, added a Volant CAI, and was running a Superchips Tune on it at the time.

I'm keeping my FX4 basically stock to avoid any question, regardless of the fact that the law is on my side. By the time I want more power, maybe the new engines will be available.

Old 12-05-2009, 07:34 AM
Here is my thoughts....
Whatever mod you put on make sure you can take it off and put the original equipment back on before you go to the stealership and make sure if you buy a programmer it wont leave a fingerprint. Now I'd like to see them void that warranty or even prove it had aftermarket stuff on there.

Old 12-05-2009, 09:28 AM
I asked my service manager about my CAI (afe) and she informed me that would not void any warranty.......even my 2" leveling would not.....IF i were to change shocks or especially do a tune they would void in a heartbeat.

Quick Reply: Will K&N intake & flowmaster affect my warranty