2009 - 2014 F-150

2009 5.4L Oil Analysis Report

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 06:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 5.4L Oil Analysis Report

I ran the factory oil in my 09 FX4 for 7886 miles (planned on changing right at 7500 miles but ended up having to take an unexpected trip).

Last edited by statikuz; 02-10-2010 at 06:55 PM.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:11 PM
So it looks good after going 7800?

Old 02-10-2010, 07:31 PM
I am a 3K change guy. Most of my trips are less then 4 miles to work then less then 4 miles home. I know what the book says but I just feel better this way.

John

Old 02-10-2010, 07:41 PM
pretty much right in line with the universal average, looks like ford did there homework.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:29 PM
Ive been waiting for someone to do one of these. What oil do you plan on using and what will your intervals be between changes. I changed out the factory oil at 3k and plan to do the rest of my changes in 5k intervals with Mobil 1. Probably overkill but its a peace of mind thing.

Old 02-10-2010, 11:57 PM
I'm sticking with 7500 miles and the MC 5W20, seemed to work fine for the first change. I'll probably do another analysis at 15k miles just to make sure it's working fine.

I can understand doing changes more frequently and with more expensive oil - not that much greater of an expense in the long run, but I don't have a problem with what's recommended by Ford.

Overall it isn't a very telling first report, especially because the higher levels of some of the elements are a direct result of the truck being new and don't reflect on the oil or the filter.

Old 02-11-2010, 12:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On the next one it would be interesting to see what the TBN value is after that many miles...it's only $10 extra tells you how much life is left in the oil.

From what I remember for my 05 with mostly city miles Blackstone labs recommends changing my oil around 3,500 miles. With mostly highway driving my last report recommended around a 5,500 mile change interval. Both of the change intervals they recommended was based on the TBN. Since my driving changes quite a bit I think I'm going to play it safe and stick to about 4k mile changes unless it's almost all highway miles then I might go longer and get another UOA.

I always think it's a good idea to get UOA done since every engine might wear a little different and it will give a person piece of mind on extended OCI's

By the way how did you post your report? I've tried before but could figure out a good way to do it.

Last edited by dkstone05; 02-11-2010 at 12:33 PM. Reason: changed mileage #
Old 02-11-2010, 02:28 PM
Originally Posted by statikuz
I'm sticking with 7500 miles and the MC 5W20, seemed to work fine for the first change. I'll probably do another analysis at 15k miles just to make sure it's working fine.

I can understand doing changes more frequently and with more expensive oil - not that much greater of an expense in the long run, but I don't have a problem with what's recommended by Ford.

Overall it isn't a very telling first report, especially because the higher levels of some of the elements are a direct result of the truck being new and don't reflect on the oil or the filter.
You make sense with sticking to Ford's OCI. I was going to use that too but switched to 5k intervals instead (easier for me to track).

The next oil analysis should be more telling than your initial one.

Old 02-11-2010, 07:57 PM
I used Picasa - opened the report in Adobe Reader, hit print screen, which will automatically place the screengrab into Picasa (if you have it open). I cropped it nice and just uploaded to a Public album, then you just right-click and "copy image location" in Firefox and voila!

Old 06-06-2010, 05:41 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Derek, you the man - I'm sorry I missed this thread when you posted it. Has anyone commented on your possible high levels of molybdenum?

Old 06-06-2010, 06:57 PM
if you drive in a large city such as i, you should change at 5k. extreme conditions mean city driving and greater than 55mph. also, here in houston, temps are usually above 80 degrees 9 months out of the year.

Old 06-06-2010, 07:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by carryyourbooks
if you drive in a large city such as i, you should change at 5k. extreme conditions mean city driving and greater than 55mph. also, here in houston, temps are usually above 80 degrees 9 months out of the year.
Uhhhh. Sorry, but no.

Special Operating Conditions
However, if one or more of the Special Operating Conditions outlined below better describes how you typically operate your vehicle, you will need to perform some maintenance services more often than the Normal
Schedule recommends.
• Towing a trailer or carrying heavy loads
• Extensive idling and/or driving at low-speeds for long distances
• Driving in dusty conditions
• Off-road operation
• Use of E85 fuel 50% of the time or greater (flex fuel vehicles only)

Old 06-06-2010, 08:02 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
I missed seeing yer report too. Overall, it's not a bad report as long as you understand a report is more about trending than actual results. The iron should fall as well as the aluminum. I wouldn't sweat the sodium. Most likely it's the newer formulation of the Motorcraft oil that meets the newest GF-5 standards which helps the oil deal with the ethanol fuel and the water that comes with it. You'll start seeing sodium sulfonate in a lot of the newer formulations. Moly is a good thang as long as it is synergistic with the rest of the add pack. Whoever is formulating the newer Motorcraft oils is one sharp dude. Might wanna note the viscosity even after almost 8000 miles. It did not shear or oxidize out of it's respective viscosity range- that's mighty damn good! Oils costing much, much more are not that viscosity stable. You have to start with a fairly high Index base to get those results with the respective add pack. It's yer truck and yer money but I'd stick with the Motorcraft oil. The Mobil One will not stay with it in stability or wear metals.

Old 05-05-2011, 10:36 PM
Another 7500 miles later:

2009 5.4L Oil Analysis Report-vhuqy.png

dkstone05: totally spaced doing the TBN on this analysis.
greencrew: no comments, but it looks like it fell quite a bit from last time
labnerd: thanks for your comments! looks like both the aluminum and iron fell somewhat. viscosity still looks good too. not sure about the flashpoint but that may be due to there being some fuel in the oil?

Filled it with another 7q of the MC 5w-20 blend... we'll see what happens on the next one!

Old 05-06-2011, 12:27 AM
Thanks for posting this up. I did an oil analysis after my last oil change using Mobil 1 5w20 for 4500 miles. I'm now running MC 5w20 because it is so much cheaper and has good reviews. I'll be changing the MC out in the next week and will post the results of that analysis so everyone can compare.

Quick Reply: 2009 5.4L Oil Analysis Report