2009 - 2014 F-150

Banks, Magnaflow and Corsa Reviews

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 12:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Banks, Magnaflow and Corsa Reviews

I purchased my 2009 FX4 Screw short bed in May 2009. In that time I’ve gone through three different exhaust systems in order to find what I was looking for. All were the SI/SO variety. Here is how it went:

1. The first exhaust I tried was the Banks system. I had this system on my old Dodge Power Wagon and loved it as it sounded deep and loud with minimal drone. Install on the FX4 was fairly easy and fit and finish was good. I got a woody when I initially started it up; it sounded mean. I couldn’t stop grinning on the initial test drive and I was sure I found the right system for my truck. My first trip towing a 5x14 enclosed trailer with two full size ATVs and gear I realized I made a mistake. The drone while towing was unbearable. It actually gave my wife and I headaches and I didn’t want my two year old daughter riding in my truck because I was worried it might damage her hearing (yes it was that bad). I thought it would get better with time but after 10000 miles it didn’t. Loved the exhaust tone but the drone was unacceptable.

2. After selling my Banks system I ordered the Magnaflow system. I had a Magnaflow system on my old 2001 Mustang GT that was aggressive sounding with almost no drone. So I thought I would get similar results on the FX4. Again install was easy other than the rear hanger not lining up correctly and had to be bent to fit. The Magnaflow system wasn’t nearly as loud as the Banks system but the drone was much better when not towing. When towing the drone wasn’t nearly as bad as the Banks system but it was still pretty bad. I had difficulty carrying on a conversation with people in the back seat while towing. Again I found this system unacceptable.

3. After reading the limited info available on this site about the Corsa system I decided to give it a try. It arrived this morning and I immediately installed it. Fit and finish of the system was the best of the three. It just seems to be designed better with less pieces. Example being the Magnaflow has two separate pieces of pipe after the muffler and the Corsa only has one. The Corsa system was much easier to get lined up and has fewer places for exhaust leaks. This is definitely the quietest of the three systems. I’d place it in between the stock exhaust and Magnaflow. I haven’t had a chance to tow with it yet but after 100 miles I have experienced zero drone even in he typical 1800-1900 RPM range I got it from the other two systems. The Corsa system gave me what I thought the Magnaflow would.

I think I have found the right exhaust for my driving habits, my family and me. I hope this helps some of you find the right exhaust. I know other guys have had different results than me with the Banks and the Magnaflow systems. Some guys have reported no/little drone with both of those systems so I guess every truck is a little different.

Old 10-24-2010, 03:27 PM

Thanks for the reviews. I have a theory on why the different reviews on the different systems.

I can tell you that my Banks system sounds different when running a stock tune, the Hypertech tune, and now with the canned Edge tunes. It will be interesting to see what it sounds like with my PHP tunes when I receive them.

Old 10-24-2010, 03:45 PM
Originally Posted by DeereGeff
Thanks for the reviews. I have a theory on why the different reviews on the different systems.

I can tell you that my Banks system sounds different when running a stock tune, the Hypertech tune, and now with the canned Edge tunes. It will be interesting to see what it sounds like with my PHP tunes when I receive them.
I'm sure tuners affect the sound. I think other things such as bed covers, bed liners such as Line-X or Rhino liner can affect sound as well.

Old 10-25-2010, 07:17 PM
well wes, I agree 100%. i had the new borla, not a good match for a 60 yr old man. went back to corsa and just tickled to death. it makes a good road mate.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:49 PM
Originally Posted by firetruck41
well wes, I agree 100%. i had the new borla, not a good match for a 60 yr old man. went back to corsa and just tickled to death. it makes a good road mate.
I hear you. I'm 33 and feel the same way. I remember the days of wanting the loudest exhaust on the block. I guess I've out grown those days.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:57 PM
I'm in the same boat as you guys... want a nice growl but nothing obnoxious or intrusive inside. The Corsa is the perfect system.

I plan on getting tunes in the future too... exhaust usually gets louder with tunes so the Corsa should still be good. We'll see though.

Old 11-09-2010, 09:51 PM
Originally Posted by Wes28376
I purchased my 2009 FX4 Screw short bed in May 2009. In that time I’ve gone through three different exhaust systems in order to find what I was looking for. All were the SI/SO variety. Here is how it went:

1. The first exhaust I tried was the Banks system. I had this system on my old Dodge Power Wagon and loved it as it sounded deep and loud with minimal drone. Install on the FX4 was fairly easy and fit and finish was good. I got a woody when I initially started it up; it sounded mean. I couldn’t stop grinning on the initial test drive and I was sure I found the right system for my truck. My first trip towing a 5x14 enclosed trailer with two full size ATVs and gear I realized I made a mistake. The drone while towing was unbearable. It actually gave my wife and I headaches and I didn’t want my two year old daughter riding in my truck because I was worried it might damage her hearing (yes it was that bad). I thought it would get better with time but after 10000 miles it didn’t. Loved the exhaust tone but the drone was unacceptable.

2. After selling my Banks system I ordered the Magnaflow system. I had a Magnaflow system on my old 2001 Mustang GT that was aggressive sounding with almost no drone. So I thought I would get similar results on the FX4. Again install was easy other than the rear hanger not lining up correctly and had to be bent to fit. The Magnaflow system wasn’t nearly as loud as the Banks system but the drone was much better when not towing. When towing the drone wasn’t nearly as bad as the Banks system but it was still pretty bad. I had difficulty carrying on a conversation with people in the back seat while towing. Again I found this system unacceptable.

3. After reading the limited info available on this site about the Corsa system I decided to give it a try. It arrived this morning and I immediately installed it. Fit and finish of the system was the best of the three. It just seems to be designed better with less pieces. Example being the Magnaflow has two separate pieces of pipe after the muffler and the Corsa only has one. The Corsa system was much easier to get lined up and has fewer places for exhaust leaks. This is definitely the quietest of the three systems. I’d place it in between the stock exhaust and Magnaflow. I haven’t had a chance to tow with it yet but after 100 miles I have experienced zero drone even in he typical 1800-1900 RPM range I got it from the other two systems. The Corsa system gave me what I thought the Magnaflow would.

I think I have found the right exhaust for my driving habits, my family and me. I hope this helps some of you find the right exhaust. I know other guys have had different results than me with the Banks and the Magnaflow systems. Some guys have reported no/little drone with both of those systems so I guess every truck is a little different.
Got a part number/link for the Corsa?

Old 11-09-2010, 10:37 PM
http://www.dbexhaust.com/product_dis...px?product=360

found this today. I think I am going to go this route.....

Old 11-09-2010, 10:38 PM
On a quick search in between meetings today, I found 4WP has the best price just under $500 on the kit...... Anybody find it cheaper let me know, Oil is about 87$ bbl and climbing, thanks FED.

Old 11-09-2010, 11:30 PM
Originally Posted by 99and04f150
http://www.dbexhaust.com/product_dis...px?product=360

found this today. I think I am going to go this route.....
That's the one I have.

Old 11-09-2010, 11:31 PM
Originally Posted by 99and04f150
On a quick search in between meetings today, I found 4WP has the best price just under $500 on the kit...... Anybody find it cheaper let me know, Oil is about 87$ bbl and climbing, thanks FED.
That's less than I paid but what are they charging for shipping?

Old 11-10-2010, 06:32 AM
473.39..... Free Shipping. I was going to wait to buy it...... this Truckmoneyspenditis is killing me.... Will this void the warranty?

Old 11-10-2010, 10:25 AM
Is the Corsa exhaust tip the same diameter as stock if you have the optional chrome tip?

I had the Corsa setup on my 2007 Tahoe and loved the sound and it came with a great tip too.

Thanks,

Jeff

Last edited by hammer40; 11-10-2010 at 10:32 AM.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:23 PM
Originally Posted by hammer40
Is the Corsa exhaust tip the same diameter as stock if you have the optional chrome tip?

I had the Corsa setup on my 2007 Tahoe and loved the sound and it came with a great tip too.

Thanks,

Jeff
I believe the Corsa tip is larger. My stock exhaust didn't come with the chrome tip so I don't know for sure. The Corsa tip bolts on with an exhaust band clamp so you can put on pretty much any style tip you want.

Quick Reply: Banks, Magnaflow and Corsa Reviews