2009 - 2014 F-150

HID install ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2010 | 01:34 PM
|
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HID install ?'s

So I bought a 10K HID kit for my Fog Lights...

I plan to install them today but before I do wanted to get some input.
I have installed 3 HID kits before so I know a few things but its been awhile and basically I just wanted to get some input from everyone that has HID's or did the install themself.

*Do I need to disconnect the battery first? (Pretty sure I do)
*Where is the best place to mount the ballasts for fogs?
*What if I have the VIPER alarm & remote start.....any precautions or things I should be aware of when wiring the HID kit??
*Is there any kind of relay or anything special when doing the fog lights??

Old 12-22-2010 | 01:49 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by F-amous150
So I bought a 10K HID kit for my Fog Lights...

I plan to install them today but before I do wanted to get some input.
I have installed 3 HID kits before so I know a few things but its been awhile and basically I just wanted to get some input from everyone that has HID's or did the install themself.

*Do I need to disconnect the battery first? (Pretty sure I do) Yes.

*Where is the best place to mount the ballasts for fogs? Where they will not get wet & the harness will reach.

*What if I have the VIPER alarm & remote start.....any precautions or things I should be aware of when wiring the HID kit?? No.

*Is there any kind of relay or anything special when doing the fog lights?? Yes. Use a relay harness - get power directly from a fused battery connection.
BTW - '10k' is not a foglight-friendly bulb. 3K is. And yer pattern will mostly be unwanted glare - with little usable output where you need it most - and even worse, completely in the wrong part of the spectrum for actual usable lumens.. Appearance only - next-best thing to useless as a real 'fog light' .Just fyi ...

MGD

Last edited by MGDfan; 12-22-2010 at 01:57 PM.
Old 12-22-2010 | 02:30 PM
|
Originally Posted by MGDfan
BTW - '10k' is not a foglight-friendly bulb. 3K is. And yer pattern will mostly be unwanted glare - with little usable output where you need it most - and even worse, completely in the wrong part of the spectrum for actual usable lumens.. Appearance only - next-best thing to useless as a real 'fog light' .Just fyi ...

MGD
Thank you for the advice

I am aware that the best output would of been either
3000K, 4300K or 6000K but I prefer 10K because it matches my switchback turn signals and my projector headlights are bright enough so I never use my fog lights anyway...ever. Its just for looks and I plan to eventually enter shows so im not really worried about the output compared to looks, for fogs atleast.

Last edited by F-amous150; 12-22-2010 at 02:54 PM.
Old 12-22-2010 | 03:35 PM
Technical Article Contributor

you only need to disconnect the battery when you are doing the final wiring to any of the vehicle's electrical or the battery itself....eventually you will need to so might as well do it at the beginning.

ALWAYS run a wiring harness with relays for HID lights as the stock wiring does not provide constant 12V power and will damage the ballasts/bulbs over time and cause pre-mature failure....can also lead to damaging your stock wiring.

Nothing to worry about with the VIPER, just make sure you have the auto headlamp feature turned off if your alarm activates any of your exterior lighting when locked/unlocked.....this will cause premature failure of the bulbs/ballasts.

Foglights are tricky depending on how much wire you have to work with. Every kit is different so its going to be mounted differently....try the bumper beams or right behind the rubber flaps on either side of the radiator...they tuck in nicely right there. Try not to get the in direct paths of water, but they are water proof just FYI.

Old 12-23-2010 | 02:11 PM
|
Thanks for all the input, I finished the install last night.

Quick Reply: HID install ?'s