2009 - 2014 F-150

Your Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 06:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your Opinions

Your Opinions Please

I created a thread a couple months ago asking about the "physical" difference in height between the Rancho 4" and the BDS 6" but I thought of another one.

A couple caveats:
1) I know it's my truck and I should do with it what I want
2) This is purely for my informational purpose (so I can prepare for later)

Ok, so being as I have a SCrew with the 6.5' bed, do you all think it would look better with a 4" lift or a 6" lift?
My initial thought is since it's longer, go a little higher right? But would it matter because I want 35's on there.
Thanks all!
Some older pics:

Old 01-30-2011, 06:40 PM
lower is better, do the rancho lift

Old 01-30-2011, 07:16 PM
I personally think 6"s is too high.

I like anything from a 2.5" level to a 4" suspension lift. Just about 100% of guys I know that jacked their trucks up think back and say, "that was stupid".

Old 01-30-2011, 07:31 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by marshal
lower is better, do the rancho lift
That's an odd opinion... Then if lower is better why lift the truck at all..

There is hardly a difference between the two side by side. Go 6", that way you won't have to kick yourself when you go with the 4" and end up wanting more lift down the road. Or if you know you won't want more, go 4"; but the fact your debating the two tells me you already want more...

6", especially since the truck is so long.

either way you'll want to regear for 35's and eventually look into a tune

For your comparison:

4"

6"

I can pick them apart, but I'm around this stuff all day. Some truck junkies could tell too, but the average person would have a hard time picking them apart. If you want hit me up in a PM or email, I'd be glad to help you out.

Last edited by FX4life; 01-30-2011 at 07:36 PM.
Old 01-30-2011, 07:35 PM
I'd go for the Rancho if I were you. I'm not a fan of the 6" lifts, but I like the Rancho 4". I might consider doing that someday, but not sure if I want to shell out that much money

Old 01-30-2011, 07:52 PM
Originally Posted by FX4life
That's an odd opinion... Then if lower is better why lift the truck at all..

There is hardly a difference between the two side by side. Go 6", that way you won't have to kick yourself when you go with the 4" and end up wanting more lift down the road. Or if you know you won't want more, go 4"; but the fact your debating the two tells me you already want more...

I can pick them apart, but I'm around this stuff all day. Some truck junkies could tell too, but the average person would have a hard time picking them apart. If you want hit me up in a PM or email, I'd be glad to help you out.
i come from the Jeep world were Low Center of Gravity reigns king. anything above 4.5" of lift there means you have no idea what you're talking about. i was running 37" tires with a long travel suspension on 2" of lift. its really a shame that this kind of minimalist thinking doesnt carry over to the truck world as many of the trucks on the road would look and perform a lot better than they do currently.

why lift it at all? in my opinion the whole concept of lifting is to fit a specific tire size. it is beyond me why people scream heathen and cower in fear when someone wants to run 35" tires on a level because it MIGHT rub. granted, those are the same people who flip out on the idea of taking a sawsall or cutoff disk to their truck.

now i wont start bashing someones truck because they have a 6" lift with cranked coilovers, a level and a 3" body lift ontop of it just so they can fit 40" tires. its their truck, do what they want with it. i just think minimalism should be more widely used, then again im a performance oriented person.

Old 01-30-2011, 08:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i come from the Jeep world were Low Center of Gravity reigns king. anything above 4.5" of lift there means you have no idea what you're talking about. i was running 37" tires with a long travel suspension on 2" of lift. its really a shame that this kind of minimalist thinking doesnt carry over to the truck world as many of the trucks on the road would look and perform a lot better than they do currently.

why lift it at all? in my opinion the whole concept of lifting is to fit a specific tire size. it is beyond me why people scream heathen and cower in fear when someone wants to run 35" tires on a level because it MIGHT rub. granted, those are the same people who flip out on the idea of taking a sawsall or cutoff disk to their truck.

now i wont start bashing someones truck because they have a 6" lift with cranked coilovers, a level and a 3" body lift ontop of it just so they can fit 40" tires. its their truck, do what they want with it. i just think minimalism should be more widely used, then again im a performance oriented person.
What jeep can you fit 37" tires with a 2" lift?! Because ive never heard of one...

Old 01-30-2011, 08:02 PM

I say go with the 6in. lift. This is my BDS 6in lift with 35's and I don't think its too big or too small. Just perfect!

Old 01-30-2011, 08:10 PM
Originally Posted by rednutbow
What jeep can you fit 37" tires with a 2" lift?! Because ive never heard of one...
actually, if you high line a wrangler you can fit 37's with no lift at all. i wanted to do a 2" on mine (TJ wrangler) so i could get more down travel, along with i didnt want to highline it.

Old 01-30-2011, 08:27 PM
Originally Posted by rednutbow

Jeep TJ or JK's. You can remove the stock fenders/flares and replace with flat ones.

I say it's all what you want to do with the truck. Do you want to wheel it then look at a kit that does that well, low center/articulation, or do you want it just for looks? If for looks then go with the 6" and be happy.

As to the low is the new high, look att most trucks that perform nowadays. Look at Baja trophy trucks, they run 37" tires and have a very low to the ground stance designed around a long traval suspension, stadium trucks are the same way also. Rock crawlers actually use the winch lines to compress their axles to get a lower center of gravity to overcome obstcles.

The only trucks you see with tons of lift are the monster trucks and mud bogging trucks or those still hanging onto the trucks from the 80's that were in Truckin' magazine!

Me? I will go 6" but my truck will not see offroad and will be for looks and towing my trail rig that I CAN beat and not cry, a 99 Jeep TJ with 3" lift, 33" and locked! lol

Last edited by RES4CUE; 01-30-2011 at 08:29 PM.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:34 PM
Marshal: I know you got a tremendous amount of 4 wheeling/modding experience so I don't discount anything you say. I, however, rarely off road and am pursuing this more for aesthetics than performance. I go camping and get in places I have to use 4x4 but never in places to negotiate boulders and tree trunks, etc...

SuperFX4: Your truck looks sick, but I wonder if I could pull off something like yours? I appreciate the leveled/with blocks and larger treads but I think my truck is too long for that? I think it will look too low still. I have a 2" level up front and it still looks kinda crappy to me.

FX4Life: I PM'd you...thanks!

Old 01-30-2011, 08:45 PM
Originally Posted by cegan1825
I'd go for the Rancho if I were you. I'm not a fan of the 6" lifts, but I like the Rancho 4". I might consider doing that someday, but not sure if I want to shell out that much money
Do you think the 4" will look better or perform better?

Originally Posted by Mwcarter41

I say go with the 6in. lift. This is my BDS 6in lift with 35's and I don't think its too big or too small. Just perfect!
Dude, your truck looks awesome...I like the camper shell on it too. How do you feel when cornering? Is there a lot of body roll?
Originally Posted by RES4CUE
Jeep TJ or JK's. You can remove the stock fenders/flares and replace with flat ones.

I say it's all what you want to do with the truck. Do you want to wheel it then look at a kit that does that well, low center/articulation, or do you want it just for looks? If for looks then go with the 6" and be happy.

As to the low is the new high, look att most trucks that perform nowadays. Look at Baja trophy trucks, they run 37" tires and have a very low to the ground stance designed around a long traval suspension, stadium trucks are the same way also. Rock crawlers actually use the winch lines to compress their axles to get a lower center of gravity to overcome obstcles.

The only trucks you see with tons of lift are the monster trucks and mud bogging trucks or those still hanging onto the trucks from the 80's that were in Truckin' magazine!

Me? I will go 6" but my truck will not see offroad and will be for looks and towing my trail rig that I CAN beat and not cry, a 99 Jeep TJ with 3" lift, 33" and locked! lol
Really good points. I also am going for looks mainly. So on that standpoint, do you think my truck would simply look better with the taller lift?

I really appreciate all the feedback...

Old 01-30-2011, 09:05 PM
if you're willing to discount performance for aesthetics you need to get what you want. if you're leaning on the concept of going bigger, as FX4Life said - get the bigger one

Old 01-30-2011, 09:19 PM
Yep, go 6". I love they way our trucks look with a good but not obnoxious lift and good looking AT or a good looking MT on them!

Cant wait till I can get mine but cash seems to be of short supply! lol

Old 01-30-2011, 09:32 PM
if you're willing to discount performance for aesthetics you need to get what you want. if you're leaning on the concept of going bigger, as FX4Life said - get the bigger one
Thanks for the info Marshal...looking forward to seeing more of your truck progression.

Originally Posted by RES4CUE
Yep, go 6". I love they way our trucks look with a good but not obnoxious lift and good looking AT or a good looking MT on them!

Cant wait till I can get mine but cash seems to be of short supply! lol
Hahaha! Story of my life man. If it aint one thing it's another. Now I need to do some remodeling on the house. there goes more $$$ I gotta say mwcarter's truck looks really good and proportionate. The tires actually look good on his truck. Sometimes I'll see a 6" lifted F150 with 35's and the tires look so small it looks comical. You know what I mean or am I smokin' something here?

Quick Reply: Your Opinions