2009 - 2014 F-150

Question about Ecoboost grille guard

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 08:24 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question about Ecoboost grille guard

we have a customer that ordered a bolt over grille guard, a eurostyle bolt over..anyways he came in one day and said he got pulled over because "he didnt have a front license plate" (texas requires a front license plate) he said the hell i dont this a brand new truck!! they went and looked and sure enough, the cop was being an *** since the ecoboost plates are on the driver side and not "the front most of the truck."

so he asked, if i get a grille guard would i get pulled over? (since the bar that bolts up with the tow hooks will cover the center part) the officer said yes you will

so my question!! is there any kind of bracket you can get to relocate the plate, maybe in the center of the grille or something??

Old 04-08-2011, 09:00 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The cop was just being a *****, if you put the plate in the stock location on the front bumper he shouldn't be able to give a ticket for it. Even if he does it will be extremely simple to get it dismissed.

Old 04-08-2011, 09:34 AM
The center opening is for cooling air to the air intercooler. I believe Ford says not to block the opening, if you do the engine warranty will be voided. The plate does not have to be in the center. Back in the 60's and 70's many cars had the plate offset to the drivers side. If the plate is mounted in the factory location you'll have no problem with the judge. The cop was just showing his ignorance.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:55 AM
Originally Posted by RMS05
The center opening is for cooling air to the air intercooler. I believe Ford says not to block the opening, if you do the engine warranty will be voided. The plate does not have to be in the center. Back in the 60's and 70's many cars had the plate offset to the drivers side. If the plate is mounted in the factory location you'll have no problem with the judge. The cop was just showing his ignorance.
I think what the OP is asking is that the new grille guard is going to cover up the center of the plate on the Ecoboost since it is off center. So, yes you are not supposed to cover up your front license plate. I'm in IL and we need a front plate too.

So to answer the question... he might need to get a 09-10 license plate bracket or rig something up to the new guard. The small amount of air you might block with it being centered shouldn't hurt anything, IMO.

Old 04-08-2011, 11:51 AM
They make other types of grill guards that do not have that lower bar down there and so these kind wouldn't cause a problem at all.

Old 04-08-2011, 02:36 PM
No the cop wasn't an ***. You can't cover the plate up. He will have to fab a bracket and place the plate some where else- BUT not in front of the intercooler

Old 04-08-2011, 05:35 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dejong1
They make other types of grill guards that do not have that lower bar down there and so these kind wouldn't cause a problem at all.
thats not the bar i am talking about, the bar i am talking about bolts to the frame of the truck

Originally Posted by johndeerefarmer
No the cop wasn't an ***. You can't cover the plate up. He will have to fab a bracket and place the plate some where else- BUT not in front of the intercooler
IMO he was, i know you cant cover up the plate but why would he pull him over for "not having a front plate" when clearly he did..or he is blind. the plate is still in the factory location

Old 04-08-2011, 07:02 PM
I have had my truck for a week now. It's a great truck. Love driving it. I have to say that giant hole in the front needs something to cover it. I know we can't block it,but a nice black or chrome grill would look nice. Is there anything available yet that would fit just inside that hole. Not an entire front grill. Just a small grill. I have done some Internet searches with no luck so far.

Old 04-08-2011, 07:13 PM
Originally Posted by Mark T
I have had my truck for a week now. It's a great truck. Love driving it. I have to say that giant hole in the front needs something to cover it. I know we can't block it,but a nice black or chrome grill would look nice. Is there anything available yet that would fit just inside that hole. Not an entire front grill. Just a small grill. I have done some Internet searches with no luck so far.
There's a thread on here with pictures of a grill for that opening. I'll search for it later if you can't find it. Key words ecoboost and grill/grille should find it...

Old 04-08-2011, 07:16 PM
Thanks. I'll keep searching. I found a thread but it was an entire front grill assembly.

Old 04-08-2011, 07:20 PM
First thread I found when searching "ecoboost grill"

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...errerid=155564

Old 04-08-2011, 07:38 PM
I found that one. Went to that website. No listing for that part or part number listed. I'll call them

Old 04-08-2011, 07:42 PM
If the front bumper has mesh in it he can just wire the plate to the mesh

Old 04-08-2011, 07:46 PM
Found it. Just had to dig a little deeper. LOL

Old 04-09-2011, 08:23 AM
Here are some pictures showing Carriage Work Part #44381 Black Billet Grill on my new 2011 F150 KR Ecoboost. The installation instructions refernce the 2009 F-150, but it fits the 2011 just right.

Quick Reply: Question about Ecoboost grille guard