2009 - 2014 F-150

2011 F150 FX4 Supercrew Tranny Failure after 1 Day!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 11:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 F150 FX4 Supercrew Tranny Failure after 1 Day!!!!

I purchased a brand new F150 FX4 Supercrew 4x4 on Wednesday, June 22nd. Pulled off the lot at 8:15pm and was heading for vacation Thursday evening with my wife, 3 yr old, and 9 yr old. Saw smoke in rearview mirror and got off the interstate immediately. Transmission fluid was all over the bottom of the truck. For those with children, you could imagine where I was at this point. So after 1.5 hrs on the side of the interstate, the rollback shows up, loads up my $40k plus truck with 453 miles and proceeds driving over 85 mph to the nearest Ford dealer. Then he overheats the rollback with my family on board. Of course, no hotel rooms available until the saint at the Hampton found a room for me.

It's July 5th, and I might get my truck back by Friday. At first it was a failed torque converter seal. Now it's the front transmission pump. I'm no mechanic, just a structural engineer that understands how things work and really expected Ford to get me either a completely new transmission or a new truck.....because that is what I paid for and who knows what damage the pump failure will lead to down the road. I've been told that the same part has to fail 3 times to qualify for the Ford buyback policy (sounds like a lemon law deal). They are attempting to get me a 5yr-75k Ford ESP warranty, which will extend the transmission an extra 15k miles. From what I've read with the extended warranties, the owner has to follow the service manual to a tee, or else it is null and void. Does anyone know of any options that are available in a situation like this? The truck has never towed anything. I put a little over 150 miles on the truck and had it for about 23 hrs before it left me and my family stranded on the interstate! I'm assuming that I'm not the only person this has happened to across the USA, but I have to be in small company with the transmission failing within ONE day.

Old 07-05-2011, 11:32 PM

Man that sounds terrible. Makes my current issues with my 2010 sound extremely minor. Hope it gets resolved.

Old 07-05-2011, 11:52 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
New truck=new tranny.....don't settle for a reman either make sure if your truck is equipped with a tranny cooler that's new also and the lines have been flushed.....

Contact ford's customer service hot line and give them an earfull also....

Old 07-06-2011, 12:04 AM
You will NOT get a new truck. They will replace the broken parts with new parts and you'll be on your way, simple as that. No reason to call CS and give them an earful??? why? They are fixing your truck and going out of their way to try and get you an extended warranty. I'd say thats above and beyond. Their only responsibility is to fix the broken parts.

Old 07-06-2011, 01:27 AM
i tend to agree with hydro1. They will replace the parts and you will be on your way. You might get lucky and get a new trans but i wouldnt hold my breath if i were you. However i do believe there was a tsb for the pump failures a few weeks ago. so i feel like this should have been caught before it got to you. If it were mine i would ask for the longer warranty of 6 or 7 year 125,000 miles. i believe that is one of the options available. maybe if they wont do it free you might be able to get it at a discounted rate. sorry for your troubles but i feel like they will do you right. fingers crossed !

Old 07-06-2011, 07:01 AM
yes I agree, I would definitely push for the bigger warranty

Old 07-06-2011, 09:07 AM
Never heard of such a thing happening, although it's possible. You bought a new truck with a new transmission. Next day the transmission fails. Ford and the dealer owe you a complete new replacement transmission and torque converter, period! I wouldn't settle for less.

Old 07-06-2011, 11:44 AM
And I thought a bad injector was bad at 10,000 miles.

I'd have to take a 10mg valium every hour just to cope with what you've been thru.
(Then I'd be asleep)

I think I'd be willing to make up the cost of a new unit after getting in touch with the FoMoCo reps.

I wouldn't let them know that, tho. First I'd haggle out a free extended warranty on your existing unit, drive it for a while because who knows, it might actually get repaired correctly, to your satisfaction.

If down the road it becomes a lemon, transfer the free extended warranty to the new unit. (If you buy another FoMoCo product)

Just remember, no matter how bad your situation is, someone else's is worse. (Thought I'd throw that in)

Old 07-06-2011, 03:15 PM
Sorry! I got a hard shift from 2nd everytime and these threads scare me. 2011 Ecoboost with 7K on the odometer, but I already bought the 100K 7 year ESP Premium so not too worried, I will get rid of it by then.

Old 07-06-2011, 05:06 PM
Originally Posted by Boltzie
They are attempting to get me a 5yr-75k Ford ESP warranty, which will extend the transmission an extra 15k miles. From what I've read with the extended warranties, the owner has to follow the service manual to a tee, or else it is null and void.
False... You must follow the recommended service interval's, keep proof that it was accomplished and that fluids/parts that meet or exceed Ford Spec's were used.

Take the free ESP Warranty and let Ford fix the truck. Ask Ford to provide you with a free loaner. The Service Manager only needs to call the Regional Service Mgr. to get the loaner approved. Warranty repair is warranty repair. If the pump and seal fails at 200 miles or at 20,000 miles, the repair procedures are the same. Replace the failed components if possible. If not, replace the transmission.

Last edited by Blue07STX; 07-06-2011 at 05:09 PM.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:55 PM
I'm surprised that Ford is not replacing the tranny with a new one, and requesting the failed tranny to be sent back for analysis.

Old 07-06-2011, 08:20 PM
This is such an unfortunate story. Sorry to hear!

Old 07-06-2011, 08:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hematite
Never heard of such a thing happening, although it's possible. You bought a new truck with a new transmission. Next day the transmission fails. Ford and the dealer owe you a complete new replacement transmission and torque converter, period! I wouldn't settle for less.
X2

If they don't do it then get the news involved. If it is a ecoboost I'm sure they wouldn't want that kind of news spreading around.

Old 07-06-2011, 09:42 PM
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
Horror story, hope you get it taken care of.

Old 07-07-2011, 01:39 AM
Sorry to hear this, they sould give you a new trany!!

Quick Reply: 2011 F150 FX4 Supercrew Tranny Failure after 1 Day!!!!