2009 - 2014 F-150

Anyone do the Gotts mod with the ecoboost?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 05:23 PM
DjG
Technical Article Contributor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone do the Gotts mod with the ecoboost?

Hey guys as u probably know from reading my other post I'm getting into a new truck because my 09 is being bought back by Ford due to issues. I just ordered a 2011 FX4 ecoboost and was wondering if the Gotts mod makes any difference in the whistle of the turbos?

Old 08-04-2011, 05:56 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by DjG
Hey guys as u probably know from reading my other post I'm getting into a new truck because my 09 is being bought back by Ford due to issues. I just ordered a 2011 FX4 ecoboost and was wondering if the Gotts mod makes any difference in the whistle of the turbos?
I don't think I would risk touching anything under the hood for fear of voiding the warranty. It has a different intake also, so you may not be able to.

Old 08-04-2011, 06:51 PM
DjG
Well on the 2009 to 2011 models when I say Gotts mod I'm referring to removing the snorkel that runs from the air box to fender.

Old 08-04-2011, 07:20 PM
i did but didnt get any thing out of it in my 5.4 2010 xlt

Old 08-04-2011, 07:39 PM
DjG
Originally Posted by blueovelboy
i did but didnt get any thing out of it in my 5.4 2010 xlt
I'm sure u did u just can't notice a gain that little. But I'm more concerned about the ecoboost as this is the new motor coming my way. I did it to my 4.6 3v and notice an increase in intake noise.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:00 PM
I urge you to use extreme caution. I have heard that there is to be absolute no warranty on the eco if there is the slightest modification to anything on it. Again only hear say but something I wouldnt be willing to try if it were me.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:25 PM
My dealer told me that the techs are Checking ecos with a microscope for mods and then voiding the warranty. Be careful.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:04 PM
DjG
Thanks for your insight, but this doesnt answer the question at hand. So those that have done this please post.

Old 08-05-2011, 09:21 AM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by DjG
Thanks for your insight, but this doesnt answer the question at hand. So those that have done this please post.
I have not heard of anyone doing it to the Ecoboost or even the 5.0s. Only the 2010 5.4s. Again, I would not do it. I talked to my service manager and he said that changing exhaust or wheels is fine, but change anything under the hood, and you are looking at voided warranty.

Old 08-05-2011, 09:34 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
As others have posted.....

Ford is looking for any changes under the hood.....if changes are found your warranty is toast......

Old 08-05-2011, 09:48 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
This Tsb is for the 5.0 but there's another one like it for the ecoboost>>>http://thehorsepowerjunkies.com/blog...tuning_tsb.pdf

The Tsb number is 11-7-7

The ecoboost Tsb number is 10-2-6

Last edited by 88racing; 08-05-2011 at 09:52 AM.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:10 AM
DjG
Originally Posted by 88racing
This Tsb is for the 5.0 but there's another one like it for the ecoboost>>>http://thehorsepowerjunkies.com/blog...tuning_tsb.pdf

The Tsb number is 11-7-7

The ecoboost Tsb number is 10-2-6
Thank for the post, I understand this is normal for any manufacture to send this out to its techs. This is nothing new for the ecoboost or 5.0 every engine including the old 5.4 and 4.6's has had these protocalls. In the end though the manufacture needs to prove that any modification has cause the damage to void the warranty. They have lost many cases in court but have won some too. I'm not saying I will be doing this but rather my question was to those that may have done it if they noticed any difference in noise from the turbos, as many people are reporting with cat-back systems.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:14 AM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by DjG
Thank for the post, I understand this is normal for any manufacture to send this out to its techs. This is nothing new for the ecoboost or 5.0 every engine including the old 5.4 and 4.6's has had these protocalls. In the end though the manufacture needs to prove that any modification has cause the damage to void the warranty. They have lost many cases in court but have won some too. I'm not saying I will be doing this but rather my question was to those that may have done it if they noticed any difference in noise from the turbos, as many people are reporting with cat-back systems.
It would be cheaper in most cases to lose the warranty on an engine, than to pay the lawyer. That is what they bank on. I realize they have had similar statements in the past. The difference now is that they are informing the dealers to stick to the policy and if they don't Ford won't pay the dealer for the warranty work.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:32 AM
DjG
Originally Posted by Bluejay
It would be cheaper in most cases to lose the warranty on an engine, than to pay the lawyer. That is what they bank on. I realize they have had similar statements in the past. The difference now is that they are informing the dealers to stick to the policy and if they don't Ford won't pay the dealer for the warranty work.
If you win your case you will likely win a case for attorney fees. But again thanks for your information, but not what I'm asking.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:48 AM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
I addressed what you are asking in post 9. All the other was extra. The only one that I know of that has modded their EB at all is Mr. Tea. He did the new complete intake. Apparently, the warranty is of little concern to him.

The reason the warranty is mentionad at all is because many people read these posts. Hundreds that are not even signed up as members. I for one, do not want them reading about a mod and think that it sounds great without them also knowing that there could be repercussions. Full knowledge is what you are doing and what it may lead to is very important when doing any mod. I'm not anti mod in any way as I have done the Gotts mod and had a tuner on 2005, 5.4 since 31,000 miles. I waited till the warranty was about to expire.

Quick Reply: Anyone do the Gotts mod with the ecoboost?