2009 - 2014 F-150

Truck makes power steering whine when in gear BUT

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 09:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Truck makes power steering whine when in gear BUT

it has no power steering pump. I originally brought this up to the manager and he said the sound was coming from under the trans and it was normal. I originally didn't hear it when I bought the truck but it was winter and less noticable with the crutching of ice and the windows being up.

Now I noticed it in the spring and he said it was normal.

I went to listen to another truck that was exactly like mine except in a '13 model year and it was an Extended Cab but had the exact same options. It did not make this whine at all and was as quite in gear as out of gear.

Anyone have an idea what would make it sound like it has a power steering pump going out when it doesn't have a pump at all. Only happens when I put it in gear.

The truck runs perfect. Very quick and trans shifts EXCELLENT. NO problem except this strange noise.

Thanks!

Old 09-05-2013, 10:29 PM
WFO
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gripes my *** when they look you straight in the face and say that when you know good and well it isnt.

Old 09-05-2013, 11:49 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Maybe you have a Ecoboost 5.o under the hood and you are hearing the turbo's whistle?

All joking aside

Ive rode in a few 5.0's and never heard any kind of a whine, and my truck doesnt have anything like that either..

I would call bs that it is normal.

Old 09-09-2013, 07:41 AM
Yeh, I found its not normal when I compared to a 2013. It's going in to be looked at. Sounds like it may be the transmission.

Old 09-10-2013, 07:34 PM
Well it's the transmission. Dealer and Ford are thinking it is the torque converter. I need to take it in again for more tests recommended by Ford to troubleshoot what it actually is. All I can say is that Fords transmissions are crap and this may be my last Ford after the 2010 F150 transmission, control arm, and body mount problems.

Hopefully it will be an easy fix.

Last edited by Mike Up; 09-10-2013 at 07:36 PM.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:48 AM
TRUCK OF THE YEAR 2013

Originally Posted by Mike Up
All I can say is that Fords transmissions are crap...
Right. Because you had trouble with yours. Sounds like perfectly sound logic to me.

I do hope it's an easy fix. If not, enjoy your Chevy...er Dodge...wait....Toyota?

Yeah, good luck with those.

Old 09-11-2013, 10:46 AM
This I is my second transmission to have problems. I got rid of the 2010 because of problems. I thought that truck was a fluke now this one is having problems. Plus our 2012 escape has a terrible miss that causes it to jerk back and forth yet no codes or anything for Ford or the dealer to fix.

BS like this is getting old but if I would ever go to another truck, it would have to be a 2500 Ram as 1500 Rams have no payload.

Last edited by Mike Up; 09-11-2013 at 10:49 AM.
Old 09-14-2013, 09:15 PM
Just found this link.

Sounds like I have a bad Torque Converter as there is no whine at all in Park or Neutral. However it makes the most noise in gear while stopped. I can keep the brake pedal depressed to stay stopped, and push on the accelerator to make it whine at a higher tone with rpm. However when I am driving, I don't here the whine.

Don't really know what to say. I can't believe I had a bad transmission on the 2010 5.4L F150 and now on the 2012 5.0L F150.

Not at all happy. I babied this F150 and didn't tow till I had around 8000 miles and never raced it or was hard on it. Same with the 2010 F150.

I'll never own a GM POS and Dodge was to car like in it's capabilites. So I went back to Ford thinking I had a fluke with the 2010. I'm keeping the truck as I have a 125,000 mile warranty but I'm not at all happy that they can't build a reliable transmission!

The following users liked this post:
Old 09-17-2013, 07:02 AM
Confirmed bad torque converter. Waiting for it and new seals to come in for replacement.

Old 09-20-2013, 03:01 PM
Talking

Originally Posted by Mike Up
This I is my second transmission to have problems. I got rid of the 2010 because of problems. I thought that truck was a fluke now this one is having problems. Plus our 2012 escape has a terrible miss that causes it to jerk back and forth yet no codes or anything for Ford or the dealer to fix.

BS like this is getting old but if I would ever go to another truck, it would have to be a 2500 Ram as 1500 Rams have no payload.
You honestly think you will have better reliability with a Dodge over Ford????

Goodluck, Hope its an easy fix so you won't talk that Dodge nonsense anymore!!

Old 09-26-2013, 08:01 PM
Just got my new Torque Converter installed today along with new seals and updated trans/computer program.

Still on it's learning strategy but seems more powerful and smoother shifting but I'm not going to push it as I'm going to let the torque converter break in. It is taking longer for it to switch from 3rd to 2nd (needs more throttle) when slowing to a 'near' stop then starting again, but I'm thinking once the training is over, it's will be more responsive.

Pretty quick turn around, only took them today to do it along with a provided rental car.

Don't ever rent a 2013 Mazda 5. Sub-Sub compact micro van. My knees were bent so high up from the lack of leg room, I would had exchanged it today if it weren't for the truck being done. I can't believe they actually sell this with so little front seat room. You'd have to be a 110 lbs., 5' girl to feel comfortable in those seats. My head was about touching the ceiling with the standard none power seats, and I had to look down to see out of the front windshield. Absolutely nuts. I've been in many subcompacts that felt like limos next this go-cart van.

Old 09-29-2013, 01:49 PM
OKay, I'm starting to drive it more normal as I've put some miles on the new torque converter. Still I'm not giving any WOT or high rpms until it gets more broke in.

What I've noticed is that power is more consistant. Previously, the truck would have it's good and bad days. Right before the converter was changed out, the bad days were getting more numerous with power feeling less than on normal days.

Also previous to the replacement, a pronounced shift like feel would happen at 35 mph and 40 mph. This was where the converter was locking and unlocking. This can no longer be felt. This was a concern also as my 2010 F150 did not have these pronounced locking/unlocking events. The dealer told me normal. I learned not to trust their judgment anymore.

Truck feels strong with with more consistant power, requiring less downshifting on those less powerful days. Guess the converter wasn't always transferring optimal torque. I thought sometimes it was just bad fuel as we are forced to use that crappy 10% ethanol gas.

For what it's worth, mileage seems to be a tad better but will get a better understanding of this as time goes on.

Now anytime I have a feeling there's something wrong. I won't ask the service writers/managers, I'll demand that the mechanics look. Not that the managers are bad, as they are good guys, I just feel they are confusing what I was describing as something else. They never try to blow me off or try to get out of working on the truck. So I have to believe it was just misunderstandings.

Now on to the wife's Escape. After talking to their lead mechanic (he's a great guy), he thinks he knows the problem. He was led by the service writers/manager (once again) to troubleshoot the trans which isn't the problem. Now that he's on the right track, maybe her car will be fixed soon and give me piece of mind when she's hauling the kids around.

Last edited by Mike Up; 09-29-2013 at 06:01 PM.
Old 10-26-2013, 10:25 PM
Cool, hopefully just a fluke and nothing more in the future for you.

Old 10-26-2013, 11:29 PM
Originally Posted by hydro1
Cool, hopefully just a fluke and nothing more in the future for you.
That's what I'm hoping. I don't need another lemon like the 2010 F150.

I'm hoping it will be as reliable as the 2008 Sport Trac that impressed me so much, that I stayed with Ford when looking at full-size trucks. Unfortunately the 2010 was so disappointing.

Last edited by Mike Up; 10-26-2013 at 11:32 PM.
Old 10-27-2013, 01:28 AM
^ I would own a sport trac right now if they still made it. Imagine the EB in that smaller body (like the current Explorer Sport), but with less weight due to the back half a truck bed. I have no idea why they don't continue it. The Ranger is gone, so having the Sport Trac would would fill the small truck market with no additional R&D or assembly line needed. Albeit an expensive small truck, but one for sell none the less.

Quick Reply: Truck makes power steering whine when in gear BUT