2009 - 2014 F-150

OnStar

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 09:42 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sync looks nice but do we REALLY need another distraction while driving!!
The fact that I can voice command everything without taking my eyes off of the road, means it's the anti-distraction. It's way safer than messing with radio buttons, changing out CD's and hooking my ipod up and using the scroll wheel trying to find a specific song.

Old 08-27-2009, 10:19 AM
GM was considering canceling on-star because of lack of subscription but decided to do a free subscription period. They are funding it buy adding a small amount to each vehicle but it has it problems. Most accidents make the system unable to work. Collision damages On-star system, Collision takes out antenna, Vehicle rolls and it wont work, Hit a tree and you will have no signal, Hit a dear and it takes out the massive antenna and so on. The system has many flaws. We have it in a Chevy we have here and it ain't been used for over 2 years and the time we did need to use it they couldn't tell us where we were and to call back at a later time! Sync has some of the same issues as On-star like being damaged in an accident but cll phone coverage is a lot more reliable than sat.

Old 08-27-2009, 05:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Barritia
cll phone coverage is a lot more reliable than sat.
OnStar does use cellular, doesn't it?

Old 08-27-2009, 06:13 PM
Originally Posted by fordmantpw
OnStar does use cellular, doesn't it?
What i mean is They cant find where you are with sat if they cant track your vehicle. As far as i know the Ford system uses a triangulation system where it uses cell towers to find where you are so no line of sight is needed to find you.

Old 08-27-2009, 07:07 PM
Originally Posted by Markine
According to the GM Oil Life Monitor, our '08 Saturn Vue has been averaging about 12,000 miles between oil changes. We're at just over 52,000, so we've only had four oil changes so far,” OnStar subscriber Elijah Scott posted on Facebook. “If we were doing the traditional 3,000 mile intervals, we would have had 17 oil changes instead! At roughly $30 a change, this has saved us approximately $390. Rock on, OnStar!
Wow, way to post a meaningless comment on a nearly two year old thread. You really think a cheap saturn oil life sensor is sophisticated enough to prevent your engine from damage? Even if it was what does that have to do with onstar?

Old 08-28-2009, 09:54 PM
I had OnStar in my '05 H2 before I traded it for my '09 Lariat. It was a cool toy for the first year but wasn't worth the added cost of a cell line. The SYNC is by far a better way to go in my opinion...plus no hassle with Verizon.

Quick Reply: OnStar