2009 - 2014 F-150

OnStar

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 10:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question OnStar

I think its a pretty good concept, is it only because GM has a contract with OnStar that they dont put it on Ford products? Has there been any talk about this?

Old 09-09-2007, 11:05 PM
I'm pretty sure GM patented OnStar, they have sole rights to it through something like 2020. I would love to get it too for my wifes car, but not going to GM just for that

Old 09-09-2007, 11:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jbporter
I'm pretty sure GM patented OnStar, they have sole rights to it through something like 2020. I would love to get it too for my wifes car, but not going to GM just for that

I wouldn't have that service if it were free. I don't need it, and the possibility of big brother is to big. Not that I do anything wrong, but I don't like the idea. I also can't stand that extra antenna on the vehicle. What happened to good ole take care of yourself attitude? I get where I need to go.. I don't lock my keys in the car. Your cell phone has GPS for aid to find you if your in an accident and you call 911.. I just don't see the use.

Old 09-10-2007, 10:43 AM
Originally Posted by chris1450
I wouldn't have that service if it were free. I don't need it, and the possibility of big brother is to big. Not that I do anything wrong, but I don't like the idea. I also can't stand that extra antenna on the vehicle. What happened to good ole take care of yourself attitude? I get where I need to go.. I don't lock my keys in the car. Your cell phone has GPS for aid to find you if your in an accident and you call 911.. I just don't see the use.
I agree, it was a good idea when it came out, before 99% of the population had cell phones. If I lock my keys in the truck I'd rather just type in a code on the door, rather than call someone to unlock them for me.

Old 09-10-2007, 11:33 AM
Originally Posted by boj311
If I lock my keys in the truck I'd rather just type in a code on the door, rather than call someone to unlock them for me.
Exactly! Why is Ford the only one with enough intelligence to do this? I think some older Honda's (or maybe Toyotas) had it, but it appears Ford is the only one that still does it. Why?

Old 09-10-2007, 04:03 PM
Having a Big Brother Button in the truck is of no interest to me.

Last edited by Rambo; 09-10-2007 at 08:26 PM.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:20 PM
Now that I look at it from different point of views, I agree. It is kinda worthless. The one thing I thought was pretty cool was my buddy couldnt remember if he locked his truck or not, so he called onstar. Plus, back then, blue tooth wasnt really around, and he could make phone calls from the truck. Now with cell phone service pretty much everywhere, its not that great. That antenna is pretty hideous too. Anyway, speaking of blue tooth, anyone heard of that being available soon?? Now you cant tell me that would be worthless.

Old 09-11-2007, 10:19 AM
We have On-Star in my wifes truck and dont even use it. But we get e-mails telling us how long before your next oil change, how much air is in your tires, any engine codes and what they are. While your driving it does engine diagnostics. Most people dont need it but I can keep an eye on my wifes truck with out me physicly going over it. Also if your in a bad enough accident and no one is around and you cant get to a phone On-Star automaticly comes on and will send help with out you saying a word. It still has it benifits. We live out in the sticks and there are plenty of places were deer like to jump in front of cars and when it comes to my wife and kids saftey on-star is just more insurence.

Old 09-11-2007, 11:26 AM
Originally Posted by 05supercrew
We have On-Star in my wifes truck and dont even use it. But we get e-mails telling us how long before your next oil change, how much air is in your tires, any engine codes and what they are. While your driving it does engine diagnostics. Most people dont need it but I can keep an eye on my wifes truck with out me physicly going over it. Also if your in a bad enough accident and no one is around and you cant get to a phone On-Star automaticly comes on and will send help with out you saying a word. It still has it benifits. We live out in the sticks and there are plenty of places were deer like to jump in front of cars and when it comes to my wife and kids saftey on-star is just more insurence.
If you don't have an Onstar subscription, do you still get the emergency benefit out of it? Somewhat like an old cell phone with no attached service, but can still make a 911 call.

Old 09-11-2007, 01:01 PM
Originally Posted by KSUWildcat
If you don't have an Onstar subscription, do you still get the emergency benefit out of it? Somewhat like an old cell phone with no attached service, but can still make a 911 call.
Honestly I dont know, we always had the basic package. But if you have no minutes left you can push the on-star button and add them right there so as far as the cell phone part im going to say yes.

Old 08-27-2009, 03:37 AM
Originally Posted by fordabbits
I think its a pretty good concept, is it only because GM has a contract with OnStar that they dont put it on Ford products? Has there been any talk about this?
According to the GM Oil Life Monitor, our '08 Saturn Vue has been averaging about 12,000 miles between oil changes. We're at just over 52,000, so we've only had four oil changes so far,” OnStar subscriber Elijah Scott posted on Facebook. “If we were doing the traditional 3,000 mile intervals, we would have had 17 oil changes instead! At roughly $30 a change, this has saved us approximately $390. Rock on, OnStar!

Old 08-27-2009, 06:52 AM
What does Onstar have over Sync?

Old 08-27-2009, 07:55 AM
sync now has 9-1-1 assist plus vehicle health monitering all for free. they are two different systems, yes. but you pay for onstar because you are paying for the infrastructure. and from what i have seen of onstar a lot of the functions are pretty useless in my opinion.

Old 08-27-2009, 07:55 AM
Anyway, speaking of blue tooth, anyone heard of that being available soon?? Now you cant tell me that would be worthless.
That's a part of SYNC - can make your phone calls, plus stream music from your phone to your stereo.

Old 08-27-2009, 08:43 AM
Sync looks nice but do we REALLY need another distraction while driving!!

Quick Reply: OnStar