2009 - 2014 F-150

New article (engine line up)

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 12:11 AM
Graphics Contributor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fordmantpw
Will the power wars ever stop? I mean come on, how much is enough? 475 HP in an everyday driver 1/2 ton is just absurd. You can't possibly use that much power unless you are on the track. He||, my 300 HP "slow" F150 pulls my 6000lb travel trailer around with ease. Why on earth would I need another 60% more HP?

Yes, there are HP freaks who can never have enough and who will say "Why Not have 500 or 600 or 700?" That's fine, but that is definitely not the majority. I wish the manufactures would get off the HP war and start a fuel economy war.

Give me 325 ponies, 400 lb ft of torque, and 27+ MPG on the highway and I'll be a happy happy man. I guess what I really want then is a small V8 diesel!

we have been fine for 30+ years controlling all the HP bull****, then toyota has to come in and ruin the tradition and throw at americans a "truck", but they dont know what a truck is, so they take what they know (how to do donuts in a parking lot and call it a sport) and put a bed on it. And they think it needs to be fast. The american population sees this and thinks, "hey i want to have a fast truck!", now the big 3 have to waste money on getting more HP when they could be using it on something better like higher quality parts or safety, because the turd from overseas has to change the rules.

Old 10-06-2007, 06:35 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by JBMX928
we have been fine for 30+ years controlling all the HP bull****, then toyota has to come in and ruin the tradition and throw at americans a "truck", but they dont know what a truck is, so they take what they know (how to do donuts in a parking lot and call it a sport) and put a bed on it. And they think it needs to be fast. The american population sees this and thinks, "hey i want to have a fast truck!", now the big 3 have to waste money on getting more HP when they could be using it on something better like higher quality parts or safety, because the turd from overseas has to change the rules.
GMC Cyclone
F150 Lightning
Chebby Vortec Max
Denali 6.2L
Srt-10
Dakota R/T
CK1500 454
Silverado SS
F10 S/C Harley Editions
Hemi Ram

... control?

Last edited by MGDfan; 10-06-2007 at 06:56 AM.
Old 10-06-2007, 09:49 AM
What? Which company built the Lightning? Who built the SRT10 and brought back the Hemi? This HP war was going on in the truck world LONG before Toyota stepped up to the plate. If the buying public wasn't asking for it the manufacturers wouldn't be building it. There's no shortage of threads here started by people complaining about how slow the F150 is.

Old 10-06-2007, 03:47 PM
....the '3" higher cab' business is a bit worrisome for me personally...my f150
has to fit into a 6'6" clearance underground...i think i have about 3-4" max above my scab fx4...i think the highest point is about 75" right now. I guess it depends how much of this article is trustworthy or 'open to interpretation'

Old 10-06-2007, 04:18 PM
Graphics Contributor
Originally Posted by Tbird69
What? Which company built the Lightning? Who built the SRT10 and brought back the Hemi? This HP war was going on in the truck world LONG before Toyota stepped up to the plate. If the buying public wasn't asking for it the manufacturers wouldn't be building it. There's no shortage of threads here started by people complaining about how slow the F150 is.

im talking STOCK trucks, not trucks built for performance.

Old 10-06-2007, 06:15 PM
I dont know why it has to be 3" higher anyway, I think it has plenty of head room. Maybee they improved the ground clearance by 3", that would be awesome!!!

Old 10-06-2007, 08:56 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Lame...very lame.

Yer toast but too much of a hick to admit it...

BTW - the urinals in "your mall" needs cleanin' slacker

Old 10-06-2007, 08:59 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My f150 isn't slow. I did 80 MPH just today.

Old 10-06-2007, 09:12 PM
Graphics Contributor
Originally Posted by MGDfan
Lame...very lame.

Yer toast but too much of a hick to admit it...

BTW - the urinals in "your mall" needs cleanin' slacker

Uh ok, you should talk mr i can never be wrong...

i never talked about trucks not meant for the everyday truck driver. For so long HP numbers have not been the center of concern for pickups. Now toyota is gonna go n push it every model and like i said, the big 3 will have to put money into that when it could be spending more on areas of more importance for a pickup.

Old 10-06-2007, 09:22 PM
How do you figure the trucks aren't going to be safe just because they spent some money building a bigger engine. I probably won't be buying the 6.2L the 5.4 is good enough for me. And buy 2010 it wouldn't surprise me much if the 6.2L is getting the same MPG or better than my 2003 5.4L

Old 10-06-2007, 09:31 PM
Graphics Contributor
Originally Posted by Deskinsd
How do you figure the trucks aren't going to be safe just because they spent some money building a bigger engine. I probably won't be buying the 6.2L the 5.4 is good enough for me. And buy 2010 it wouldn't surprise me much if the 6.2L is getting the same MPG or better than my 2003 5.4L

hopefully the 6.2 will be better on gas, ford cant make it worse or it wont sell. Supposedly the govt is trying or already has passed something that all trucks have to have more mpg by 2020 like mid 20s mpg or 30 i dont remember.

Old 10-06-2007, 09:37 PM
Originally Posted by MGDfan
GMC Cyclone
F150 Lightning
Chebby Vortec Max
Denali 6.2L
Srt-10
Dakota R/T
CK1500 454
Silverado SS
F10 S/C Harley Editions
Hemi Ram

... control?
What do you mean by this?

I think there's still nothing that'd outrun a Syclone.

Old 10-06-2007, 09:40 PM
Graphics Contributor
Originally Posted by koharatx
What do you mean by this?

I think there's still nothing that'd outrun a Syclone.

he was replying to me saying for 30+ years trucks have not been HP machines and the numbers have been relatively controlled and now all of a sudden toyota comes out n goes way past the norm. However i wasnt talking about high performance models

Old 10-06-2007, 10:12 PM
No, you said that Toyota turned the publics attention to HP by putting 381 ponies in the Tundra. I'm saying you're wrong, Ford, GM and Dodge have been doing it for years. Toyo simply put their chips on the table and said "deal me in". Ford SVT built the Lightning because the public was asking for more power in a light duty truck. That's what led to Dodge, directly or indirectly, bringing back the Hemi and then building the SRT10. GMC has always had their own thing going with guys like John Moss and a host of other high performance guru's. Truck guys have always wanted more power in their trucks, the big 3 have traditionally left it to their performance divisions to fill the demand. Toyota is the first one to put that power under the hood right on the assembly line without having to choose a special high performance option on the order form.

Old 10-07-2007, 02:23 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
No, you said that Toyota turned the publics attention to HP by putting 381 ponies in the Tundra. I'm saying you're wrong, Ford, GM and Dodge have been doing it for years. Toyo simply put their chips on the table and said "deal me in". Ford SVT built the Lightning because the public was asking for more power in a light duty truck. That's what led to Dodge, directly or indirectly, bringing back the Hemi and then building the SRT10. GMC has always had their own thing going with guys like John Moss and a host of other high performance guru's. Truck guys have always wanted more power in their trucks, the big 3 have traditionally left it to their performance divisions to fill the demand. Toyota is the first one to put that power under the hood right on the assembly line without having to choose a special high performance option on the order form.
I agree.

Quick Reply: New article (engine line up)