2009 - 2014 F-150

2009 F150 Reveal Jan. 14th 2008

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 02:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gpaje
Notice that even though the 2009 is a complete redesign, they went very conservative overall, similar to the Expedition redesign.

Instead of looking like a redesign, it looks like a mid-cycle facelift. I guess they don't want to rock the boat.
Not at all. Read the article. They have touched nearly every piece of the truck, inside and out...

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...O04/801120368#

From the top of the cab to the wheel wells, the shape of the truck has been changed to create a bolder, beefier design. They boosted performance and improved ride and handling. And they added such innovative features as a trailer sway mitigation system to give drivers the confidence to use their trucks' capabilities.

What began as a routine midcycle freshening essentially became an entirely new truck, reflecting new thinking that is transforming the Dearborn automaker as it struggles to save its North American auto business.

"There has been, in the past, a view that front-end changes -- and even grille changes -- constituted a freshening of a vehicle," said Derrick Kuzak, Ford's global product development chief. "If you're going to say a vehicle is new, it has to be true."

(snip)

Last edited by Rambo; 01-12-2008 at 02:23 AM.
Old 01-12-2008, 05:21 PM
Originally Posted by Rambo
Not at all. Read the article. They have touched nearly every piece of the truck, inside and out...
I was talking about exterior styling. And I didn't mean they didn't redesign everything, I meant they kept it conservative.

Example was the Ford Expedition. Even though it's based on a completely different platform, and every body component was redesigned, it looks very similar to the previous model. You can redesign everything, but make it almost look the same, which seems to be what Ford did on the F150 from the A-Pillar back.

Last edited by gpaje; 01-12-2008 at 05:24 PM.
Old 01-12-2008, 05:37 PM
Originally Posted by gpaje
I was talking about exterior styling. And I didn't mean they didn't redesign everything, I meant they kept it conservative.

Example was the Ford Expedition. Even though it's based on a completely different platform, and every body component was redesigned, it looks very similar to the previous model. You can redesign everything, but make it almost look the same, which seems to be what Ford did on the F150 from the A-Pillar back.

Got it. I was responding to your mid-life facelift remark. I am happy to hear Ford has done so much more than a facelift. We're getting a near complete redesign inside and out like the article states.

Old 01-12-2008, 05:39 PM
Ford F-150 Reveal

I'll be at the Ford F-150 live reveal tomorrow if anyone has anything they want a picture of live I'll be happy to grab it (i work for Jalopnik.com and will be covering it for them) for you, or if anyone has any questions for Ford's people about the truck you can just reply to me below. The live shots will be going up on this page sometime tomorrow on this Detroit Auto Show page.

Thanks,

Matt Hardigree
Assc. Editor
Jalopnik.com

Old 01-12-2008, 05:40 PM
Suspended
I have not seen any pics of the 09 F-150, and I am Interested in comparing the Ford to my brand of chioce ( Not to imprssed with the pics of 09 Dakotafied Ram, But H/P is 380, 404 Torque for the Hemi )

All the reading I have done on the new 09 Ram much hands over tow ratting's to Ford, but dual ex is standard on the Ram.

Not so long ago I thought the 04 F-150 was the cats meow, but a lot has changed in five + years for every brand.

Old 01-12-2008, 06:08 PM
Originally Posted by JalopnikMatt
I'll be at the Ford F-150 live reveal tomorrow if anyone has anything they want a picture of live I'll be happy to grab it (i work for Jalopnik.com and will be covering it for them) for you, or if anyone has any questions for Ford's people about the truck you can just reply to me below. The live shots will be going up on this page sometime tomorrow on this Detroit Auto Show page.

Thanks,

Matt Hardigree
Assc. Editor
Jalopnik.com
Matt,
Take a good shot of the hood and the back up camera. Thanks.

Last edited by Rambo; 01-12-2008 at 06:15 PM.
Old 01-12-2008, 06:48 PM
Originally Posted by Rambo
Matt,
Take a good shot of the hood and the back up camera. Thanks.
Forget the hood, get some pics of what's under it!

Old 01-12-2008, 07:36 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by JalopnikMatt

Thanks,

Matt Hardigree
Assc. Editor
Jalopnik.com
yes, please take lots of pics for us. Also, what size engine is this truck going to have? 5 or 6 speed tranny?

Old 01-12-2008, 08:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The absolute biggest news you can get us, are shots of the undercarriage (bring a long pole with a mirror fixed to the end), interior but most importantly a shot that shows whats under the hood, the exhaust will help us tell if it's a diesel as opposed to a gasser, and exhaust pipe diameter, etc. Get a pic of that rear end (axle) as well, the diesel should have a considerably stronger rear end to handle the torque, my 9.75 is leaking like hell from the torque the 37's put on her, 450lbs of torque is going to be close to the same.

And yes cyclone, I agree that new Ram is Dakotafied but is nice, I love the bed cargo function. Ford needs to get knocked up side the head if they intend to put themselves behind in a few years, the Titan had the genious idea for bed cargo, the Dodge improved it, is Ford going to ignore it? I am sick of not having enough cargo space, everytime my buddy opens his little door on his titan I wanna cry.

Last edited by Josiah; 01-12-2008 at 08:03 PM.
Old 01-12-2008, 09:04 PM
The side mounted boxes are not a new idea. The Chevy Avalanche had them when it debuted. The Ram Box is nice, but it looks like it uses part of the bed. If Ford has it, I hope it's not as wide.

http://jalopnik.com/photogallery/RamBox/1000473205

Old 01-12-2008, 09:38 PM
Originally Posted by Tbird69
Forget the hood, get some pics of what's under it!
That's obvious. I want to request what's not so obvious. The cad drawings/photos so far of the hood and back up camera (a lot of people complaining about that pic) appear distorted or from bad angels.

Old 01-12-2008, 10:44 PM
Thanks for all the ideas, the embargo breaks in one hour and 20 minutes, so we'll have full photos and all of the details on Jalopnik.com in an hour or so (including all of the engine data, but Ford has been stingy with engine photos). Check back to Jalopnik tomorrow around midday for photos of it live, I'll definitely do my best to get underneath the truck (FX4 at least).

Old 01-13-2008, 12:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
very excited Matt! Although I have to admit I don't know what the phrase the embargo breaks translates to.

Old 01-13-2008, 07:09 AM
Sure. In order to make sure the media can prepare ahead of time for stories that aren't yet released to the public, Automakers release photos and details ahead of time "under embargo," which means that only the media can see it until a certain hour. In this case, it was 12:01 Sunday morning. When the embargo breaks (whether naturally or because a major media outlet accidentally posts the information) everyone goes like crazy to post all of the information. As you'll see on our Detroit Auto Show page, there are a lot of stories time-stamped 12:01, but it's not because we wanted to be up that early. Hope that helps

Old 01-13-2008, 12:33 PM
F150online
Founder
Matt,

If you are going to use F150online.com to shamelessly promote your coverage of the 2009 F-150 without asking us first if it would be appropriate, please ask Ray to do a writeup of Ownersite on Jalopnik or at least give our site a mention in your coverage.

Quick Reply: 2009 F150 Reveal Jan. 14th 2008