2009 - 2014 F-150

Not completely impressed

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 09:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not completely impressed

So I looked at the 110 or so pics in the galley here. I have to say it's noce and all, but it doesn't look terribly different than the 04-08's. Sure the front is revambed a bit, the rear has a line or something through the tailgate, but overall body styling is similar. Even the interior, though it's definately different, is reminiscent of the current gens. 6 speed tranny will be great, but the same 5.4L essentially will hold it back. I've heard the story about it being around 310 HP and 365ft/lbs of tq. But The HP numbers I saw were at something like 5700 rpms (not sure exact numbers, please correct me if it's off). Isn't the selling point of the current 3 valve 5.4 that it creats its peak tq and hp at lower rpms, like 1800 or so? And 365 ft/lbs, isn't that the current rating of the 04-08's? I'm sure it'll be a great truck and all, but I gotta say I am glad I went with the '08 before the revamp, as slight as they seem to me right now.

Old 01-14-2008, 09:56 PM
Technical Article Contributor

It looks cool, but I'll reserve final judgement for when I actually see one in person. But I'm not impressed enough to want to go out and trade mine in, that's for sure.

Old 01-14-2008, 09:57 PM
Graphics Contributor
https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...4&postcount=19

to all the people stating theyre not impressed with the "not enough redesigned"

Old 01-14-2008, 10:33 PM
Suspended
HP is always developed near the upper RPM range. TQ ia what comes down low and matters. This is the best selling truck, Ford was not out to change everything, only things that needed to be changed. Yes it would be nice to have the new motor now, but it will be here shortly. Quality takes time

Old 01-14-2008, 10:36 PM
Let's remember the 09 is not a full redesign like 96 & 04.

Old 01-14-2008, 10:42 PM
I can tell you that side curtain airbags made the previous/current truck a no-buy for me.

The 2009 F150 will have them and that enough makes it better than the current truck.

I refuse to buy any vehicle with out all the modern safety features.

Old 01-15-2008, 12:18 AM
Originally Posted by jgonza5
Let's remember the 09 is not a full redesign like 96 & 04.
I haven't read or heard anything about it not being a full redesign. All the videos interviews I have seen show Ford Engineers talking about the 09 as if it was a full redesign. Most imortantly the video of them talking about the frame and how it is "all new" etc. etc.

Trending Topics

Old 01-15-2008, 12:26 AM
Originally Posted by Forrest_F150
I haven't read or heard anything about it not being a full redesign. All the videos interviews I have seen show Ford Engineers talking about the 09 as if it was a full redesign. Most imortantly the video of them talking about the frame and how it is "all new" etc. etc.
It's not a full redesign, going from the '03's to the '04's was a full redesign. This is a refreshing of the current truck. The only thing different about the frame is the material it's made out of, high strength steel. Parts of the body structure are made of this as well.

Old 01-15-2008, 12:42 AM
Originally Posted by Tbird69
It's not a full redesign, going from the '03's to the '04's was a full redesign. This is a refreshing of the current truck. The only thing different about the frame is the material it's made out of, high strength steel. Parts of the body structure are made of this as well.
It actually uses the same windshield, and that is a dead giveaway that it is not a complete redesign, although it is a pretty extensive makeover. I just can't get over the fact that they are dropping the rear access doors on the regular cab.

Old 01-15-2008, 01:31 AM
Originally Posted by Tbird69
So you think we can expect a full redesign in 2011?

1996 - 2003
2004 - 2011

So 2009 gives us a refesh but no new engines until a year later. And then maybe a year after that, 2011, they give us a full redesign. Probably not likely. Thus the question, when is the next full redesign?

Maybe it's just me but I can't make sense of the F-150 progression. If they wanted to hit a home run they should have went all out in 09 or held over for another year and waited for 2010.

Sure they'll sale a tons of 2009's etc. etc but this refreshed vehicle is hardly a "game-changer". The best possibe positive spin I could put on it is that they raise the bar just a smiget. Meaning it's a "little" better than the offerings from Toyota or GM.

I guess my main point is:

When I bought my 05 I bought a truck that I felt was soo much better than anything GM or Nissan offered. If I went and bought a 09 I am afraid I could not say the same thing. It might be better but not by very much.

Old 01-15-2008, 01:38 AM
That was my Q awhile back as well. But if Ford won't even talk about HP for their engines in '09, there is no way in heck they'd want to talk about the next full remodel. They want to sell trucks now, not get people excited to wait.

It takes them forever and a day just to get their order guides up online each year for the F150 as it is...

Old 01-15-2008, 01:41 AM
Originally Posted by OffRoad99
It actually uses the same windshield, and that is a dead giveaway that it is not a complete redesign, although it is a pretty extensive makeover. I just can't get over the fact that they are dropping the rear access doors on the regular cab.
I just read that it also uses the same frame, but with different materials in certain locations. From what I read, they did this so they can now offer a 157" wheelbase. I guess you need a limo license to drive that sucker. Won't it be embarrassing to high-center on the railroad tracks in your new FX4?

Old 01-15-2008, 03:00 AM
Suspended
Originally Posted by ryan42680
So I looked at the 110 or so pics in the galley here. I have to say it's noce and all, but it doesn't look terribly different than the 04-08's. Sure the front is revambed a bit, the rear has a line or something through the tailgate, but overall body styling is similar. Even the interior, though it's definately different, is reminiscent of the current gens.
Why does everyone want the dang truck to look different? I just bought an 07 in August, Ryan just bought an 08...Why would anyone want their truck to look OLDER? AM I missing something>

Old 01-15-2008, 03:36 AM
Originally Posted by Shinesintx
Why does everyone want the dang truck to look different? I just bought an 07 in August, Ryan just bought an 08...Why would anyone want their truck to look OLDER? AM I missing something>
Because some of us that bought 04's, 05's and perhaps even 06's were looking forward to more drastic changes as we forsee a new vehicle in our near futures.

I personally would not have bought a 09 but perhaps a 10 or 11. Now I see the changes are not drastic at all and more of the same (comparable to the current competition).

So now I realize the new F-150 won't be a forgone conclusion for me and it'll be harder to choose between the Tundra, Titan (redesign proabably coming soon) and F-150.

Old 01-15-2008, 10:03 AM
Am I alone here when I think that Ford should have left the exterior of the truck ( yes even the frame ) and should have solely concentrated on getting the drivetrain all of us want out to us. ( aka diesel not coming out till 2010 ).

Dump the 4.6 altogether ( not bashing the 4.6 ) Make the 5.4 with +350 hp and +400 tq. ( aka, pull the supercharger off the GT500 and retune for the trucks and voila! We have a winner!)
Get the 6.2 and diesel to us in 09 with the 6 speeds. Plus has anyone heard about any fuel saving technology going on the gassers? It is or it's going to be a big selling point in the very near future.

To me Ford has given me this " don't p**s in my ear and tell me it's raining " analogy. They tell us it is redesign, and yet besides the front grill and some more buttons in the interior, what is so new about it?

Quick Reply: Not completely impressed