2009 - 2014 F-150

Over/under on 2009 recalls?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 07:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Over/under on 2009 recalls?

Many of you know the history of the F-150 each time there has been a redesign. What is the over/under on recalls for the first year of the new design?

Second question: Based on past history, would you advise waiting until 2010 for all the bugs to get worked out or are the bugs typically minor?

Old 01-15-2008, 07:58 PM
Technical Article Contributor
Contributor
Received 260 Likes on 251 Posts
My '07 had a problem with the TPMS sensor for the tires... first year it was offered, and look what happened to me.

But my truck is rock solid... no problems really.

My little pinging rant was my fault... totally my fault. It had nothing to do with the truck. It was just me putting poor quality gas in it and my truck telling me so. :o

Old 01-15-2008, 07:58 PM
Graphics Contributor
Originally Posted by Cajun_Mike
Many of you know the history of the F-150 each time there has been a redesign. What is the over/under on recalls for the first year of the new design?

Second question: Based on past history, would you advise waiting until 2010 for all the bugs to get worked out or are the bugs typically minor?

i cant answer your recall question , but a lot of people will be waiting until 2010 for the new truck only because the bigger, larger motor should definitly be out by then, with it being rumoroed to be on the 2009 and a 1/2 trucks.

Old 01-15-2008, 08:07 PM
i say 2 recalls in 09.

i think if they offer the 6.2 in 2010, there will be a few more that year. given its a brand new motor.

but either way i bet the 2009 F150 wont have a recall for broken tailgates

Old 01-15-2008, 08:09 PM
Actually....

the 2004 launch was for the most part trouble free.

Old 01-15-2008, 08:23 PM
There seem to be a ton of people with no probs whatsoever with their '04's, and others like me had stuff like squeeks and rattles, rear window motor problems, and mine has an incredible engine whine that drives me up the ceiling (can't wait to get an '09). That engine whine is so bad it's more reason than anything else to get an '09, though I would almost certainly get one anyways. I've been living with it for like 2 years or more now. SUCKS.

But my '97 had ZERO issues, absolutely perfect all the years I owned it and that was also a first year model. Beautiful truck in every way, not one squeek or rattle the 7years I owned.

I like to buy first year because it's new and exciting, plus it's one more year to enjoy it before they do yet another redesign.

Gotta love giving (and getting!) the 'thumbs up' to all the other F-150 owners out there when you are one of the first with the new model before it becomes commonplace, perhaps a year or so before they are everywhere. Best selling vehicle and all that.

Old 01-15-2008, 09:08 PM
Suspended
I never buy first year vehicles just because of that, well that and paying MSRP is for suckers. That said I doubt we will see many problems, Ford is really proud of its increased quality and I doubt they are ready to throw that away or hurt the name of the new 150. They have seen all the issues the Tundra has had and don't want to be in the same boat im sure

Old 01-15-2008, 09:11 PM
most of the issues are minor. the biggest issue I had was warped rotors. although I would still think it would be a good reason to wait to see the new engines offered. even if you are not after the 6.2 there is supposed to be Ecoboost engines that offer better gas milage and also more power. I thinking waiting a year has its bonuses.

Old 01-15-2008, 09:20 PM
I hope I'm not the only one who has noticed this, but since 97 I believe, Ford has debuted most new F150 technology in the Expedition a year before the F150, presumably just to get the bugs out ahead of time. I wouldn't be surprised to see the 6.2 come out in something else, maybe the Navigator and possibly the Expedition.

Secondly, this F150 is not completely new. The frame is still the same, much of the suspension is the same or either borrowed directly from the Expedition. The three valve 4.6 has been used extensively. The transmission has been in service. A lot of the other features have been tried out on the Super Duty. Even the Microsoft Sync stuff has been tried out in other vehicles. Ford doesn't take too many chances with the F150, so I really don't expect many recalls if any.

Old 01-15-2008, 09:25 PM
[QUOTE=OffRoad99]
Secondly, this F150 is not completely new. The frame is still the same, much of the suspension is the same or either borrowed directly from the Expedition. QUOTE]

It has been stated that the frame was modified for lighter weight. It uses more extensive hydroforming.

Old 01-15-2008, 09:27 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by OffRoad99
Ford doesn't take too many chances with the F150, so I really don't expect many recalls if any.
x2, you dont bite the hand that feeds you. The relsease of this new 150 is what will make or break Ford and they know it

Old 01-15-2008, 09:30 PM
I can't see very many or any at all with the 09. Seeing it's not a redesign per say and more a facelift. What's under the sheet metal is basically the same as what we have now. The 6 speed is from the Expy so it's been out a year or two. Hopefully enough time to iron out any problems. ( not familar with the history of them )

And I think I've read where Ford has revised the plugs to help elivate the snapping.

Until the new engines are released I can't see anything going bad.

Unless all the new buttons in the dash start smoking.......

Last edited by SMIGGS; 01-15-2008 at 09:32 PM.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:39 PM
What's the word on how quiet the cabins are on these trucks? I drove a Buick Enclave recently and you can barely hear anything once inside. Tons of dampening materials used along with special glass.

My Lincoln Aviator is full of cabin noise and I hate it. You have to jack the radio up to 3/4 in order to drown out road noise.

Other than that, I love the vehicle.

Old 01-15-2008, 10:53 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Cajun_Mike
What's the word on how quiet the cabins are on these trucks? I drove a Buick Enclave recently and you can barely hear anything once inside. Tons of dampening materials used along with special glass.

My Lincoln Aviator is full of cabin noise and I hate it. You have to jack the radio up to 3/4 in order to drown out road noise.

Other than that, I love the vehicle.
The Ford website states the Platinum version is quieter than a LX430. I don't know the db of that model but it could be googled. I would guess that the "low rent" versions would be just a little louder because they will have less insulation to absorb sound.

Old 01-15-2008, 10:57 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SilverScab 5.5
It has been stated that the frame was modified for lighter weight. It uses more extensive hydroforming.
Actually the weight savings came from a material change. Parts of the frame were changed to a higher strength steel. If a material is stronger less of it can be used and still maintain the same strength. This is what was done.

Quick Reply: Over/under on 2009 recalls?