2009 - 2014 F-150

Not impressed...

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 06:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not impressed...

Well, I've been on the fence about pulling the trigger on a new '08 or wait for the '09. Now that I've seen and read about it, I'm left dissapointed.
First off, i think the look is not for the better. Overall, it wouldn't stop me from buying one, but it ain't helping. The big deal they are making over the new grill and "F-150" logo is enough to make me gag.
Then there are the new features: Yes, I like the idea of the six speed, but is the current auto tranny all that bad? And I've yet to understand why Ford thinks things like the tailgate step, retracting nerf bars, bed steps, etc are so cutting edge. What's wrong with stepping on your tire to get into the bed!?! I do like the bed extender design...any idea if it will fit on older trucks?
I admit I do like the Synch system, wish it was on the '08 (really can't beleive it is not on the '08), but I can live w/o it. I also like the redesign on the interior, and would love to see it in the flesh, but once again, not enough to move me away from the '08.
I think what I was most looking for was an improved motor combined with improved mileage. A diesel would have been fantastic (I know, I know, it's coming in 2010...).
I'd also like to get more info on the "locker" option. Might be nice to have.
I'm sorry Ford, as many have said, I'll say as well...this was a stop-gap attempt at capturing some lost market share. You missed the mark with this "new" offering.

That being said, I'm keeping my order in for an '08 SCREW FX4. I think it is a better looking truck, mechanically nearly identical, and I'm thinking the rebates will be pretty good when I take delivery in May.

BTW, I was keeping my eye on the Dodge as well. Ugh...what were they thinking!?!

Last edited by motoken68; 01-18-2008 at 06:45 AM.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:14 AM
While I can respect your opinion, others here may not be as understanding.

BTW, I'm not impressed with the 09 either, and the "it will grow on me" angle doesn't cut it with me. Either I like it or I don't right out of the gate.

Old 01-18-2008, 10:31 AM
Suspended
Originally Posted by motoken68
Yes, I like the idea of the six speed, but is the current auto tranny all that bad? And I've yet to understand why Ford thinks things like the tailgate step, retracting nerf bars, bed steps, etc are so cutting edge. What's wrong with stepping on your tire to get into the bed!?! I do like the bed extender design...any idea if it will fit on older trucks?
I admit I do like the Synch system, wish it was on the '08 (really can't beleive it is not on the '08), but I can live w/o it. I also like the redesign on the interior, and would love to see it in the flesh, but once again, not enough to move me away from the '08.
I think what I was most looking for was an improved motor combined with improved mileage. A diesel would have been fantastic (I know, I know, it's coming in 2010...).
I'd also like to get more info on the "locker" option. Might be nice to have.

I actually agree with all these points. The 4 speed has been fine, just with the newer Chevy/Toyota trucks offering the 6 speed you gotta keep up with the Jones. That said the 6 speed with help improve the 0-60 and towing capcity. For me this truck is more than fast/powerful enough and has done everything I ask if it without complaining.

Old 01-18-2008, 07:50 PM
Originally Posted by SMIGGS
While I can respect your opinion, others here may not be as understanding.

BTW, I'm not impressed with the 09 either, and the "it will grow on me" angle doesn't cut it with me. Either I like it or I don't right out of the gate.

I wasn't meaning to "pick an e-fight," just mentioning that I don't think Ford hit the "homerun" they were looking for with this truck. I have owned nothing but Ford trucks, and this will be my seventh. Don't get me wrong, I'm rooting for Ford. But, it is kind of dissapointing when you see the interviews with the metro-sexual looking lead designer (all over you tube and I think this site as well), and he gets all giddy over the "tough look" of the truck as opposed to real world kick-*** performance improvements (he is most proud of the new F-150 logo... ).

If you are looking for a truck that will work and play hard, there is very little new innovation here. If you are looking for a car with a bed, then the foreign models are still offering some stiff competition.

Quick Reply: Not impressed...