2009 - 2014 F-150

F-150 or Chevy - Which Do You Like Better?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 08:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tbird69
Nope, the second you stomp the throttle you're back to 8 cylinders, let up to cruise it drops to 4.
That's my point exactly. Stomp it here, 4 to 8, 8 to 4, back and forth, back and forth. I give Dodge credit b/c it appears the MDS hasn't got the complaints AFM has but it's engineering stupidity for truck owners who want 8 running all the time(or at least the choice to decide). MDS gives you NO OPTION. You can't change it, you can't stop it(unless you drive around stomping it all the time). More power to you(maybe, or at least half power) if you prefer it. Ford's been smart with this feature so far by not forcing consumers to have to buy it.

Old 01-29-2008, 07:37 PM
Originally Posted by tomclem
That's my point exactly. Stomp it here, 4 to 8, 8 to 4, back and forth, back and forth. I give Dodge credit b/c it appears the MDS hasn't got the complaints AFM has but it's engineering stupidity for truck owners who want 8 running all the time(or at least the choice to decide). MDS gives you NO OPTION. You can't change it, you can't stop it(unless you drive around stomping it all the time). More power to you(maybe, or at least half power) if you prefer it. Ford's been smart with this feature so far by not forcing consumers to have to buy it.
Well, apparently Ford will be using this on the '09's. Ford did improve on it by cutting off fuel to the inactive cylinders. The Dodge and GM systems continue to spray fuel even when the cylinders aren't producing power. Besides, when your cruising on the highway you don't need all 8 cylinders to keep moving. The only time you need full power is for passing and merging.

Old 01-30-2008, 08:20 AM
Originally Posted by Tbird69
Well, apparently Ford will be using this on the '09's. Ford did improve on it by cutting off fuel to the inactive cylinders. The Dodge and GM systems continue to spray fuel even when the cylinders aren't producing power. Besides, when your cruising on the highway you don't need all 8 cylinders to keep moving. The only time you need full power is for passing and merging.

If they do, count me out. Heck, FMC can't even do sparkplugs right now. Who's gonna trust them to do something like MDS/AFM? Not I. I'm still waiting on FMC to find a fix for my sparkplugs. Seems the aftermarket will figure a new plug design first. Problem though is just getting the crappy ones in there now out without having to remove the heads....

Old 01-30-2008, 03:38 PM
After watching the new Truth About Trucks, there's no way I'd buy a Chevy again. Chevy is getting better, but they still have a long way to go.

What's up with the Tundra? My neighbor's tail gate bent and popped the welds last weekend under a very light load of kwikrete. Last year the transmission shelled out, and he just got a recall notice for the differential. I take it Toyota won't replace the bad tailgates. I asked the question on a Tundra board about the tailgate and got smacked down by the board members. Touchy people over there....

Old 01-30-2008, 07:04 PM
Originally Posted by worland
I asked the question on a Tundra board about the tailgate and got smacked down by the board members. Touchy people over there....
That's one nice thing about this forum. In general you don't get hated on for posting about a problem with your F150, in fact a lot of members on here are very helpful in giving you ideas or help in diagnosing/fixing said problem since many may have had the same issue.

Old 01-30-2008, 07:41 PM
Originally Posted by CometFlash
That's one nice thing about this forum. In general you don't get hated on for posting about a problem with your F150, in fact a lot of members on here are very helpful in giving you ideas or help in diagnosing/fixing said problem since many may have had the same issue.

You're absoluetly right. The guys on the various F-150 boards are always helpful. Even when I was a Noob, they didn't treat me like an out-cast.

Whenever I ask a question on a Tundra forum, members refuse to answer until I post a picture of "my" Tundra. Since I don't own a Tundra, I'm pretty much ignored and/or treated like a troll. I'm just asking questions for my neighbor of 18 years since he doesn't have internet access. I'm never rude to them or act like a troll.

I get the same attitude from Tundra owners on base. They have a lot of major quality issues (engine, transmission, bed (frame) flex, tailgates, differentials) and Toyota isn't fixing the trucks as they consider it "owner abuse". Since they paid about $6K more than a comperable F-150, I can understand why they're a bit testy.

Old 01-30-2008, 09:01 PM
Originally Posted by worland
What's up with the Tundra? My neighbor's tail gate bent and popped the welds last weekend under a very light load of kwikrete. Last year the transmission shelled out, and he just got a recall notice for the differential. I take it Toyota won't replace the bad tailgates. I asked the question on a Tundra board about the tailgate and got smacked down by the board members. Touchy people over there....
There are so many Tundra owners having problems with those trucks because they bought into Toyota's hype. Now it's biting them in the a$$. I'd be touchy too if I had all those issues on one truck at one time.

Old 02-03-2008, 05:13 PM
Honestly, I like the chevrolet better. I do like the looks of the new f150 but my buying decision will be entirely based upon what is under the hood. Ford has continued to disappoint me with lack luster powertrains. I will be buying a new truck within one year. No toyota or dodge for me.

Old 02-04-2008, 12:22 AM
For anyone contemplating switching brands. Go to your local dealer and ask for the new truth about trucks DVD, its free and has a lot of great info.

Old 02-04-2008, 05:22 PM
Originally Posted by 05HarleySD4x4
For anyone contemplating switching brands. Go to your local dealer and ask for the new truth about trucks DVD, its free and has a lot of great info.
Yeah, those are some good videos. They have something similar up on Fords website about the 09 truck. There is no question that Ford is building a tough truck. I just wish I could get a Ford truck with a chevy drivetrain in it. Im really torn on which one I like better for my use and it could very well come down to who has the best price. If chevy doesnt get off their butt and get a six speed in their truck then the Ford would be the ticket.

Anyway, i have lots of time to think about it.

Old 02-04-2008, 06:56 PM
Originally Posted by Mustang9
Yeah, those are some good videos. They have something similar up on Fords website about the 09 truck. There is no question that Ford is building a tough truck. I just wish I could get a Ford truck with a chevy drivetrain in it. Im really torn on which one I like better for my use and it could very well come down to who has the best price. If chevy doesnt get off their butt and get a six speed in their truck then the Ford would be the ticket.

Anyway, i have lots of time to think about it.
GM said they will put a six speed in their 1/2 tons on the 09 models, right now the best engine they offer is a 6.0L VortecMAX which is 367 hp and 375 tq, it is not that much more powerful than what the new 5.4L is projected to be let alone what the new 6.2L Boss will have.....but GM also said that they will put their 6.2L Vortec 6200,which produces 380-403 hp and 415-417 tq, into their 1/2 tons, this engine is currently in the GMC Sierra Denali, i don't know when GM said they will put it into their 1/2 tons though

Old 02-04-2008, 07:38 PM
Ford has the new for 2008 truth about trucks on the website now...

http://www.truthabouttrucks.com

Click on "driving impressions" and the new twist ditch video makes a great comparison.

Old 02-04-2008, 07:49 PM
Originally Posted by bluegreenf150
I love Ford F-150's so I won't even dignify this with an actual response.
Then why did you ask? This thread has me very confused. Last time I checked, this was a Ford forum. Have I stepped into the Twilight Zone?

Old 02-04-2008, 09:09 PM
Originally Posted by freekyFX4
Then why did you ask? This thread has me very confused. Last time I checked, this was a Ford forum. Have I stepped into the Twilight Zone?
The subject is Ford vs Chevy. If you wish to discuss it, please do. If not, then don't comment. Thank you.

Quick Reply: F-150 or Chevy - Which Do You Like Better?