2009 - 2014 F-150

chicago show

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 11:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting, but useless. Anybody that uses their truck for work likely already has a laptop, why would they need an in dash computer? Does Ford really think that cable lock will prevent theft? A pair of bolt cutters and your stuff is gone. It's looking more and more like Ford is trying very desperately to stay #1.

Old 02-06-2008, 12:11 PM
I doubt everyone has their own lap top they bring on the work site, but lets suppose they do. This is much more convenient and focused solely on work related issues. It can be linked to your home computer, doesn't take up any room since its actually in the dash and can keep track of your entire fleet of trucks while you're on the job site. Makes sense to me. As for the locking system, thats a good idea too. Obviously if someone wants to steal your tools bad enough then they'll get to one way or another, there is no theft proof solution. But this prevents your average kid from stealing it and pawning it off, or if nothing else, makes it more difficult.

Old 02-06-2008, 12:15 PM
Originally Posted by Tbird69
It's looking more and more like Ford is trying very desperately to stay #1.
just can't please you can they?

of course they are trying to stay #1......

the tool inventory thing is really cool and will probably adapt better in a E-Series

Old 02-06-2008, 01:29 PM
Interesting, but useless. Anybody that uses their truck for work likely already has a laptop, why would they need an in dash computer? Does Ford really think that cable lock will prevent theft? A pair of bolt cutters and your stuff is gone. It's looking more and more like Ford is trying very desperately to stay #1.
I haven't said anything yet because I usually agree partly with you, but if this is truly how you feel then please by all means buy a dodge. Ford doesn't want you and we don't want you here so feel free to buy you a new dodge and then bitch about it on the dodge forums.

As for the on board computer, this is much nicer than putting a laptop stand in your truck, and it keeps companies from having to buy a laptop for every one of their employees. If you don't like the comp guess what its not required. The master lock system is a very good idea, most people won't try to steal something if its going to take a few minutes of work to try and get because it raises the risk of getting caught. So basically just like a bank vault it keeps honest people honest. The tags for the tools is another nice idea, I don't know how many times I have left to go do some work get there and find out hey I left 1 tool that I have to have at the house.
Blake

Old 02-06-2008, 01:39 PM
I wonder how much the tags cost or if they are reusable. My team installs equipment at our customer's locations. It would be nice to e-mail the "truck" a job package and the computer checks the techs equipment inventory for the necessary items. Then it can inform the tech of the items that are missing or lets them know they dispatch out and complete the job.

Last edited by Nytehawk; 02-06-2008 at 01:41 PM.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:58 PM
Originally Posted by birddog_61
I haven't said anything yet because I usually agree partly with you, but if this is truly how you feel then please by all means buy a dodge. Ford doesn't want you and we don't want you here so feel free to buy you a new dodge and then bitch about it on the dodge forums.

As for the on board computer, this is much nicer than putting a laptop stand in your truck, and it keeps companies from having to buy a laptop for every one of their employees. If you don't like the comp guess what its not required. The master lock system is a very good idea, most people won't try to steal something if its going to take a few minutes of work to try and get because it raises the risk of getting caught. So basically just like a bank vault it keeps honest people honest. The tags for the tools is another nice idea, I don't know how many times I have left to go do some work get there and find out hey I left 1 tool that I have to have at the house.
Blake

True, the computer system will be optional but how much will it cost? Considering the nav system stickers for about $1200 I can't imagine the computer will cost less. When you can buy a laptop for around $500-$600 that would mean if a business were serious about having it in the fleet they could outfit two vehicles for the cost of Ford's system in one truck. Not to mention that you have more capability with a laptop and it's portable. The Ford system uses flash memory which is limited as to what it can store. You need to plug an external hard drive or memory chip into the USB to get increased capacity. I'm sure Ford will improve this over time, for the short term is doesn't make sense considering it's limited capacity.

Oh, don't worry, if this is how Ford trucks are going to look for the foreseeable future, then Dodge or GMC is definitely where my next truck will come from.

BTW, why should I buy a Dodge and then b!tch on the Dodge forums? Why can't I keep my Ford and b!tch here?

Last edited by Tbird69; 02-06-2008 at 02:01 PM.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:10 PM
True, the computer system will be optional but how much will it cost? Considering the nav system stickers for about $1200 I can't imagine the computer will cost less. When you can buy a laptop for around $500-$600 that would mean if a business were serious about having it in the fleet they could outfit two vehicles for the cost of Ford's system in one truck. Not to mention that you have more capability with a laptop and it's portable. The Ford system uses flash memory which is limited as to what it can store. You need to plug an external hard drive or memory chip into the USB to get increased capacity. I'm sure Ford will improve this over time, for the short term is doesn't make sense considering it's limited capacity.

Oh, don't worry, if this is how Ford trucks are going to look for the foreseeable future, then Dodge or GMC is definitely where my next truck will come from.

BTW, why should I buy a Dodge and then b!tch on the Dodge forums? Why can't I keep my Ford and b!tch here?
All good points but you have to figure also that for 500-600 bucks your not getting much laptop at all, your not getting the gps capability, your not getting the FRID tag capability either. There are 2Gb internal that is enough room to store just about anything you want until you start doing multimedia, if you want that then buy a 64 GB Flash drive and store whatever you want. Flash memory is much safer in something that will get banged around than an actual HDD, also yes this is the first outing and I'm sure it will get better as it goes along.
I guess you can keep your Ford and Bitch here if you want but you should know it makes it seem like your blowing smoke when you complain about something constantly but wont change to something you tout as so much better.

BTW Find a good new laptop 500-600

Last edited by birddog_61; 02-06-2008 at 02:36 PM.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:35 PM
Man, Is this all the info ford has on the new F-150 from this show?? When are they going to tell us what we really want to know........HP!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-06-2008, 03:04 PM
All good points but you have to figure also that for 500-600 bucks your not getting much laptop at all, your not getting the gps capability, your not getting the FRID tag capability either. There are 2Gb internal that is enough room to store just about anything you want until you start doing multimedia, if you want that then buy a 64 GB Flash drive and store whatever you want. Flash memory is much safer in something that will get banged around than an actual HDD, also yes this is the first outing and I'm sure it will get better as it goes along.
I guess you can keep your Ford and Bitch here if you want but you should know it makes it seem like your blowing smoke when you complain about something constantly but wont change to something you tout as so much better.

BTW Find a good new laptop 500-600
Well, as it applies to trucks, time will tell how viable this technology is. Typically Ford's R&D is fairly accurate in determining what people want. Sometimes they even come out with something that we didn't even know we wanted, such as SYNC. My buddy bought an '08 Focus with this and I have to say it's amazing. Using voice commands for everything allows you to stay focused on the road and to keep your hands on the wheel. Good stuff.

I don't recall saying that Dodge was better, just that they look better. I try and try but I just can't find much to like about the '09 F150.

Old 02-06-2008, 03:32 PM
Not to mention that you have more capability with a laptop and it's portable.
Perhaps the biggest advantage for the integrated computer over a laptop is you're getting WIFI through the integrated and there's no guarantee you'll get internet access through your laptop on the road without additional equipment and services through a WIFI provider.
Since Ford is partnering with Sprint, let's use them as an example. It costs $59.99 per month for their unlimited data access plus you need to buy the wifi card which, with current discounts and a 2 year subscriber agreement, is $99.
So that means for 2 years worth of laptop access, it would cost you $1538.76 PLUS the cost of the laptop.
Looking at it that way, integrated doesn't seem so bad. Unless you want to drive around a neighborhood with your laptop searching for someone's unsecured wireless network to tap into.....

Old 02-06-2008, 03:56 PM
I don't recall saying that Dodge was better, just that they look better. I try and try but I just can't find much to like about the '09 F150.

True I just figured that you thought the dodge was better because the way you talk about the f150, if your just being critical thats one thing but sometimes you sound like a Ford hater.

Old 02-06-2008, 04:10 PM
True I just figured that you thought the dodge was better because the way you talk about the f150, if your just being critical thats one thing but sometimes you sound like a Ford hater.
I realize that, when the '09 was revealed a few weeks back I was disappointed. I'm TRYING to pull back my criticism and reserve judgment for when I can drive one. I will say that I do like the FX4, but the other versions with the big chrome grill, not so much.

Originally Posted by angus242
Perhaps the biggest advantage for the integrated computer over a laptop is you're getting WIFI through the integrated and there's no guarantee you'll get internet access through your laptop on the road without additional equipment and services through a WIFI provider.
Since Ford is partnering with Sprint, let's use them as an example. It costs $59.99 per month for their unlimited data access plus you need to buy the wifi card which, with current discounts and a 2 year subscriber agreement, is $99.
So that means for 2 years worth of laptop access, it would cost you $1538.76 PLUS the cost of the laptop.
Looking at it that way, integrated doesn't seem so bad. Unless you want to drive around a neighborhood with your laptop searching for someone's unsecured wireless network to tap into.....
Yeah, once I re-read it I realized that the WIFI was available through Ford's system. That does make it superior to a laptop, we'll see if the cost of this option makes it worthwhile. We will also see if the people that already use a laptop, are willing to give it up to use Ford's integrated system instead.

Old 02-06-2008, 04:49 PM
Suspended
I will buy the indash computer, I hate to carry a laptop in the truck due to theft. Laptops are not rated to handle the heat trucks have here in summer and I cant see it when driving. Also Ford will have the most common used features with one touch access, much easier than trying to work a computer and drive.

The cable lock will help deter spur of the moment theft. If anyone want's something bad enough they will take it. This would be perfect to lock down my 4 wheeler when running into the store to grab beer or shotgun shells

Old 02-06-2008, 04:52 PM
Originally Posted by scott1981
my 4 wheeler when running into the store to grab beer or shotgun shells
THAT'S what I'm talkin about!

Old 02-06-2008, 05:41 PM
I wonder if the cable is long enough to let my Rot jump outta the bed to take a dump, or get ahold of some teasing kid.

Hey, on a reality note (I don't have a Rot), the in-dash computer will also allow employers to control what their employees can do, as well as monitor them way beyond control. Boy, that's a double-edge sword if you ask me. I wonder how an employee will feel knowing they are being watched by "big brother". I agree the tag feature is neat, and from an employer standpoint, I have seen several of our lapops come in for service with shortcuts to "Sexy Chiquitas", but miraculously, the users can'r seem to figure out how they got there.

Quick Reply: chicago show