2009 - 2014 F-150

No gas cap? WTH?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 01:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No gas cap? WTH?

Why would they take away the gas cap? What's going to seal the opening from dirt, dust, snow etc.? That little flapper might seal to its opening but whats going to keep the flapper from filling up with crap then getting knocked into the tank? Maybe I'm missing something, please enlighten me?

Old 02-07-2008, 07:16 PM
Originally Posted by aczr2k
Why would they take away the gas cap? What's going to seal the opening from dirt, dust, snow etc.? That little flapper might seal to its opening but whats going to keep the flapper from filling up with crap then getting knocked into the tank? Maybe I'm missing something, please enlighten me?

I would hope that the fuel door lid would seal it off some how. I don't know for sure, but if it does, that would make for a pretty cool deal. If it doesn't, and their is room in there for crap to get down into the fuel neck, that would be a pos design. I seriously doubt that would be the case though.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:44 PM
I have never seen or used it but this feature has been standard on the Explorer for over a year now. If it were a problem I don't think they would put it on the F150.

Old 02-07-2008, 08:39 PM
Originally Posted by SilverScab 5.5
I have never seen or used it but this feature has been standard on the Explorer for over a year now. If it were a problem I don't think they would put it on the F150.
Brother in-law just got a brand new Explorer Limited and it has a gas cap... Don't know what your talking about?

Old 02-07-2008, 08:44 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The capless filler thing didn't start on the Exploder/Mountaineer until the 2008 model year. It's kinda neat in operation and supposedly seals up better than a regular gas cap ever did. It'll make syphoning your fuel and pouring stuff (like sugar from the neighborhood delinquents) in your fuel tank impossible as well.

Old 02-07-2008, 09:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by aczr2k

fuel filter. what's it for? the crap in the gas. I don't think the average person needs to worry about airborne debris getting in the tank. You need to worry more about where you fill up.

Old 02-07-2008, 09:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SilverScab 5.5

I'm pretty sure this is being rolled out on all Ford vehicles over the next year or 2.

Old 02-07-2008, 09:59 PM
Originally Posted by Quintin
The capless filler thing didn't start on the Exploder/Mountaineer until the 2008 model year. It's kinda neat in operation and supposedly seals up better than a regular gas cap ever did. It'll make syphoning your fuel and pouring stuff (like sugar from the neighborhood delinquents) in your fuel tank impossible as well.
Q: Have u seen one in person if so what do u think of it will it work as designed???

Old 02-07-2008, 10:41 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Quintin

Very interesting. Good information there, Quintin.

Old 02-07-2008, 11:45 PM
actually this feature goes all the way back to the Ford GT. It was standard on that vehicle which started in 2003.

The 08 Explorer has it phased in and the 09 Lincoln MKS will have it standard.

Quick Reply: No gas cap? WTH?