2009 - 2014 F-150

Who's Buying

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 10:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I won't be buying a new truck for a while yet, but I think the new engines are going to be much better on fuel with the direct injection. I have an 04 wich was a new model then and the only problem that I have had with it was the airbag light came on. I have 57k on the original brakes and it still stops fine. I wouldn't have any problem buying a new one. The 5.4 is a good engine and all they are going to do to get a few more horses is to tune it more. If the diesel prices don't start to settle down, it might be longer before we see the diesel. Ford isn't going to want to sit on a bunch of diesels and sell them at the same price as gas engines. The diesel will probly cost more to buy, just like the f250s.

Old 04-04-2008, 12:49 PM
Originally Posted by gnardo73
...If the diesel prices don't start to settle down, it might be longer before we see the diesel. Ford isn't going to want to sit on a bunch of diesels and sell them at the same price as gas engines. The diesel will probly cost more to buy, just like the f250s.
I'm sure the diesel will cost more, but it won't be the $6,895 like the 6.4L. I seriously doubt the diesel prices will affect the delivery of the smoker in 2010. Especially with the other two major manufacturers coming to the plate in 2009-2010, too. The killer will be if it doesn't produce a real advantage in economy and capability over a gasser. The sales of the Superduty proves it with the 90+ percent sold being diesels.

Old 04-04-2008, 05:34 PM
Originally Posted by Smokewagun
I'm sure the diesel will cost more, but it won't be the $6,895 like the 6.4L. I seriously doubt the diesel prices will affect the delivery of the smoker in 2010. Especially with the other two major manufacturers coming to the plate in 2009-2010, too. The killer will be if it doesn't produce a real advantage in economy and capability over a gasser. The sales of the Superduty proves it with the 90+ percent sold being diesels.
Dealerships around here have them marked down to be almost the same price as the V-10 because they are getting tired of looking at them on the lot. This expensive fuel took a lot of the posers out of the 3/4 and 1 ton world, and dealerships (and I would assume Ford) are feeling that.

Old 04-04-2008, 05:39 PM
I'll pass as well.

1. My truck is paid off.

2. I bought my F-150 in Jan. 2004 (had too, lease was up on my 2001) and was one of the few that had ALOT of problems. (built 7/03)
Doesn't matter that probably only 1% of the total had issues, when the truck spends more time in the shop than in your garage, that is what the consumer remembers.

Old 04-04-2008, 10:00 PM
Same here. Paid off mine a couple years ago, and also had an '04 that developed a number of squeeks & rattles, as well as the rear slider works/doesn't work issue, and worst of all an incredible engine whine that is incessant ANYtime you are giving the vehicle gas - whether 1mph or 50mph. So I basically hear this awful whine about 75% of the time I'm driving the vehicle, unless my foot is off the gas pedal slowing down and/or stopping. That noise... no describing how much I hate it...

Not sure I'm confident in Ford's initial quality department, although my '97 NEVER had any problems, so I'm just not sure which way to think.

Plus there's the strange issue of the engine rollouts. Why buy an '09 if the '10 will have an engine same or more powerful, that gets better gas mileage? MPG is huge nowadays. And then there's the issue of how long Ford will make this refresh before redesigning the entire vehicle. Is it worth buying a '10 if it gets redesigned in '12? Or is DD correct and Ford is going to wait an entire 5 more years before redesigning it? Can they afford to? Would they want to?

So many factors with this one, unlike in '97 and '04 when it was a very easy decision to buy as soon as they hit the market.

'09's driving me crazy, too many variables. When the *&% is Ford going to tell us about the engine choices, most importantly the MPG savings of the '10 engine lineup compared to the '09 engine lineup.

To '09, or not to '09, that is the question.

Last edited by CometFlash; 04-04-2008 at 10:02 PM.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:06 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Not I. I'll be buying a house soon.

Old 04-04-2008, 10:23 PM
Originally Posted by Quintin
Not I. I'll be buying a house soon.
Same here, house hopefully next Spring/Summer 2009. Plus a wedding the following Spring/Summer 2010.

Two more reasons why I question buying an '09 (or '10/'11). Might be best to just wait for the remodel in 2012 (or 2014?). With gas rpices always climbing perhaps I'll end up buying something else entirely. Certainly don't WANT to, and ok right now since truck is paid for, but who knows what the future holds.

Old 04-04-2008, 10:48 PM
I'm also buying a house....and next summer I'm buying the 2010 F-150. That way all of the options will be out. It is a business expense so gas prices are not a factor in me not buying a truck. I always need a truck. It is a tool that makes me lots of money. God Bless Ford.

Old 04-05-2008, 01:29 AM
My lease on my 06 is up in April of 09. I am not sure what I will do. I would really like to see the diesel but I heard that it won't be out till 2010. I also do not want to own the first batch of diesels because I know they will have some kind of troubles with the first batch. Maybe I will just keep the 06.

Old 04-05-2008, 01:59 AM
Suspended
Why are so many toting "a little lipstick"? I haven't seen one in person, but the 2009 is pretty much a redesign except for the engines (so far) and a little bit of the basic look of the flat panel portions of the door sheetmetal. I'd say the sheet metal is all new, too, as I'm sure it won't fit pre-2009 models. The interior is certainly all new. The frame is all new. The wheels and brakes are all new. The truck is bigger - taller, longer, and wider. I'll bet dollars to donuts, nobody will mistake the 2009's from a 2008 when they sit next to each other. Look at the comparison photos here on this forum. Now, the Superduty in the looks department is about as close as you can get to a nip and tuck in the sheetmetal department. I even had a guy yesterday gawking at my truck while he was filling up his new 2008 Superduty. He swore up and down mine was a 2008, too. Guess he wasn't much of a truck buff... anyone can see the front clip is much different... unless you look from the side and can't see the headlights.
Dude, whatever you want to think...its your head. I remember when 200 megahertz was getting upgraded to 233 megahertz. Lots of geeks thought that was a big deal, and progress was being made. Same with the 08, to the 09 alleged changes...Again, if you wanna say that there are major changes in the 09. More power to ya

Old 04-05-2008, 10:20 AM
Originally Posted by CometFlash
... Plus a wedding the following Spring/Summer 2010...
Well... then you'd better get that truck NOW with ALLLLLLL the options you ever wanted, could ever want, and WILL ever want. That's unless you will have a prenuptial, of course.

Just razzin' 'ya. Congratulations!

Old 04-05-2008, 01:00 PM
Well... then you'd better get that truck NOW with ALLLLLLL the options you ever wanted, could ever want, and WILL ever want. That's unless you will have a prenuptial, of course.

Just razzin' 'ya. Congratulations!
Thanks!

Old 04-05-2008, 02:13 PM
"Same here. Paid off mine a couple years ago, and also had an '04 that developed a number of squeeks & rattles, as well as the rear slider works/doesn't work issue, and worst of all an incredible engine whine that is incessant ANYtime you are giving the vehicle gas - whether 1mph or 50mph. So I basically hear this awful whine about 75% of the time I'm driving the vehicle, unless my foot is off the gas pedal slowing down and/or stopping. That noise... no describing how much I hate it..."
Sounds like you got off easy, my problems:
Rear end rebuilt twice
Replaced Throttle Body assy
Replaced Front Discs
Replaced outside temp sensor
Axle spline lubed for vibration
Cargo light assy leaks.
And currently the bed in my truck creaks and clunks every time pullinto a driveway or any other incline.

Old 04-05-2008, 11:15 PM
I'm wanting an 09, like many waiting to see WTF the engine numbers are. I saw a whole fleet drive by me the other day, every kinda trim level and cab/bed config you could ask for. I saw the new reg cab 4x4 and liked it alot. The old lady would bitch me out saying it's not big enough for family, shoot, what the hell is her car for? I'm a reg cab guy and always will be, she can stick it.

Old 04-06-2008, 12:29 AM
anaheim, that sux. I remember reading post after post here in '04 and '05 with all the problems from the first year or two of the new design.

In a way, it's one of the good things about this refresh. I feel a lot more confident that it will have a lot less problems than back then. Sure they changed some stuff, but the basic structure is still intact, and I'm sure they FINALLY must have taken some of the rattle/squeek/whine complaints seriously and looked into fixing those issues. Really seemed like they ignored a lot of people back in '04 and '05, can recall many dealership and Ford headquarters complaints from many posters here. Didn't hear too many problems since the '06's rolled off the assembly line few years back, so that's positive.

Blue2000, did any of them stand out? Guess I'm just wondering if it's obvious they are new, or if it'd be easy for the average joe to not see any difference between an '09 and an '04-'08? Also, any trim level or color(s) stand out to you?

Quick Reply: Who's Buying