2009 - 2014 F-150

My 300 Mile Review

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 07:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Nice to hear a bit of a long-term review of how things are going with an '09. There are so few people that own them it's hard to get a good read on how mcuh better (hopefully) this refresh is doing compared to back in 2004. Back then, this message board was hopping like mad, it was as if everyone in the US was buying one, and there was so much info it was great, alhough unfortunately a lot of that info had to do with problems from the 2004's. I'm hoping with FMC's much better launch track record, quality ratings, and the refreshed nature of the truck that this one goes really smoothly. I can tell you I'm sure sick of the rattles, squeeks and whines my '04 makes. I'll prob snag myself an '09 refresh come this spring. What I like to hear the most is if this vehicle is actually quiet. They sure touted that in '04, but it was so not true. I look forward to hearing from the few other '09 owners out there as they put more miles on and have had them for awhile, get their impressions.

Thanks for the update dzervit!

Old 02-05-2009, 09:11 PM
There's a name I haven't seen in awhile! Congrats on the new truck brother.

Old 02-05-2009, 10:15 PM
Mine is 2 months old with 6k miles now, love it - not one complaint so far...

Nice truck, congrats!

Old 02-06-2009, 03:46 PM
Originally Posted by CometFlash
What I like to hear the most is if this vehicle is actually quiet.
My Platinum is VERY quiet? How quiet? Less road noise than my wife's 2009 BMW 328Xi coupe.

Old 02-06-2009, 04:55 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jvos
My Platinum is VERY quiet? How quiet? Less road noise than my wife's 2009 BMW 328Xi coupe.
Sweet!

jvos, I just ordered my '09 maybe 20 minutes ago. If my dealer has trouble installing the remote start on my Platinum I might need the phone number for the dealership you bought yours from so they can get it installed the same way. They said it would be one one key fob with the other standard open/lock etc. buttons as well, no double key fobs or anything like that. They seemed confident their remote start installer would know how to get it to work with the Plat, but just in case it's nice to know at least one dealer out there knows how to get it to work.

Old 02-06-2009, 05:34 PM
Originally Posted by CometFlash
Sweet!

jvos, I just ordered my '09 maybe 20 minutes ago. If my dealer has trouble installing the remote start on my Platinum I might need the phone number for the dealership you bought yours from so they can get it installed the same way. They said it would be one one key fob with the other standard open/lock etc. buttons as well, no double key fobs or anything like that. They seemed confident their remote start installer would know how to get it to work with the Plat, but just in case it's nice to know at least one dealer out there knows how to get it to work.
Good luck! Standing by.

Old 02-10-2009, 11:09 AM
Bump, updated review for the 1K mark.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:31 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by dzervit
Another Ford first - the heated/cooled seats do NOT have a time out on them!!! They will cook your **** as long as you want! YES!

Stability control kicks MAJOR ****. I decided to test it out by passing some idiot going slow next to a semi on a three lane highway... the third lane wasn't being used since it was covered in a lot of snow... I decided to test the system out and use it to pass her. A little white-knuckled for a bit but the truck sayed on course and tracked true while keeping wheel spin in check. Gotta love technology folks!
#2. Excellent, anything that helps maintain control in wet/snowy conditions.
#1. SWEEEEEEET!!! Warm rear = happy driver.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:14 PM
Originally Posted by jvos

It's crazy how quiet and smooth the platinum is. It's even better when you got a few hundred pound over the rear wheels. It rides better and quiter than our 330ci, 530i and Ranger rover sport hse. People think im crazy when i say that, but when they get in it they are amazed. My bro in law was so impressed with the ride that he wanted the same exact truck but couldnt really have a truck because of kids and all their stuff he carts about so he went and bought a expy instead. He is well impressed with it.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:23 PM
I will agree it is quieter than most bimmers. I will not, however, go so far as to say it has a better ride. The ride and handling in a 3-series is unmatched and while the new F150 is fantastic, it simply cannot touch the driving experience that only a 3er can deliver. Then again, its comparing apples to oranges....

Old 02-11-2009, 02:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I will agree it is quieter than most bimmers. I will not, however, go so far as to say it has a better ride. The ride and handling in a 3-series is unmatched and while the new F150 is fantastic, it simply cannot touch the driving experience that only a 3er can deliver. Then again, its comparing apples to oranges....
Might be closer to apples vs cantaloupe...

Old 02-11-2009, 05:14 PM
Depends, of course, completely on the terrain!

Old 02-11-2009, 05:17 PM
Originally Posted by Barritia
It's crazy how quiet and smooth the platinum is. It's even better when you got a few hundred pound over the rear wheels. It rides better and quiter than our 330ci, 530i and Ranger rover sport hse. People think im crazy when i say that, but when they get in it they are amazed. My bro in law was so impressed with the ride that he wanted the same exact truck but couldnt really have a truck because of kids and all their stuff he carts about so he went and bought a expy instead. He is well impressed with it.

Is the interior different between a Platinum and XLT? My XLT is VERY quiet as well, and is a nice riding truck.

Old 02-11-2009, 05:39 PM
Originally Posted by ETALON91
Is the interior different between a Platinum and XLT? My XLT is VERY quiet as well, and is a nice riding truck.
Believe it or not, the Platinum trim level is quieter. As mentioned above, it has special laminated glass, better sound-insulating in the carpet, doors, firewall and rear cab wall. I'd like to see some dBA numbers on the "standard" F150s and the Platinum. I can't imagine it's THAT much quieter... perhaps just a few dB's less...

Quick Reply: My 300 Mile Review